Getting a title in central NY for HUMVEE?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Yyohan
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Getting a title in central NY for HUMVEE?

Post by Yyohan » Sat May 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I have searched this forum and found one post about titling a HUMVEE in NY. I'm hoping that someone who has actually done it wouldn't mind chatting with me about it. I don't own one yet, but one I'm looking at has no title (and I wasn't there long enough to see the paperwork the seller has.

I live near Syracuse and would appreciate any help from someone who got a t-shirt for this, so to speak. PM me or email olivedrabREMOVETHIS@frontiernet.net

Thank you!!
This is the old "Yohan" that can no longer log on...
www.track-kickers.com

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Getting a title in central NY for HUMVEE?

Post by Action » Sat May 07, 2016 10:08 pm

I don't know about NY, but is it being sold because the seller couldn't get a title? The easiest route would be to find one that already has the hard work done.

Jason

Yyohan
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Yyohan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:03 am

Thank you, Jason. He said he's just selling it because he has two or three more, but I don't know as he has tried to title it. He didn't say he did...
www.track-kickers.com

Yyohan
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Yyohan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 am

Hey everyone, I just read the latest posts on the GP thread here regarding titles for HUMVEES. I don't mean to start anything about getting titles for "off road use only" HUMMERS. I am a member on SS as well and I read yesterday a sticky about getting banned for talking about it. No harm; no foul. I'll figure things out for myself, quietly. Thank you for the replies and for not flaming me for asking the question. ~John
www.track-kickers.com

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 am

They want to keep their sponsors happy over there so they are a bit like the Gestapo when it comes to certain things. Titling is a state issue, unless the vehicle's origin is from out of the country then it is a Fed and a State issue.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Yyohan
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Yyohan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Uodate: I spoke with the commissioner at DMV who was very nice. She contacted the commissioner of Motor Vehicles for New York State, who told her that if New York State becomes aware that any military Humvee has been titled or registered in New York state, they would revoke the title and the registration. I'm very grateful for New York State protecting us from dangerous Humvees that have all of the safety equipment found on every other modern vehicle with the exception of airbags.
www.track-kickers.com

desmodromic
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by desmodromic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Yyohan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 pm
Uodate: I spoke with the commissioner at DMV who was very nice. She contacted the commissioner of Motor Vehicles for New York State, who told her that if New York State becomes aware that any military Humvee has been titled or registered in New York state, they would revoke the title and the registration. I'm very grateful for New York State protecting us from dangerous Humvees that have all of the safety equipment found on every other modern vehicle with the exception of airbags.
Please do not muck it up any further for the rest of us in NY.
93 M998 Seabee
95 M1025A2 GMV x4
99 M1045A2
99 M1123A2
02 M1025A2 GMV
09 M1165A1
11 M1165A1
93 M923A2 x2
97 M1078
02 M1031M1
00 MEP-803A
10 M1102

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 am

The commissioner could put parts on craigslist. When he drops the parts off, he can take the plates with him.
It only takes one person to keep pushing...

Jason

Lionel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Lionel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:09 am

Never good to keep poking a bear.
1994 HMMWV M998A1
1995 HMMWV M1025A2 GMV
2002 HMMWV M1024A2 GMV
2001 HMMWV M1043A2
2001 HMMWV M1123
2000 JD M-Gator
2001 Kawasaki M1030B1 (650)
2000 Kawasaki M1030M1

Yyohan
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Yyohan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Action wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 am
The commissioner could put parts on craigslist. When he drops the parts off, he can take the plates with him.
It only takes one person to keep pushing...

Jason
Good point. But good that everyone knows what could potentially happen.
www.track-kickers.com

Augi
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Augi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Yyohan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 pm
...Humvees that have all of the safety equipment found on every other modern vehicle with the exception of airbags.
Whether or not I agree with the position of the state of NY (I don't), this statement is not accurate.

Original vehicles had non locking lap belts only and the dash is solid aluminum. Sure, later vehicles were retrofitted with 3pt seatbelts which are a significant improvement, but without front and rear crumple zones to absorb an impact a lot more energy is transferred to the occupants.

As mentioned there are no airbags.

There is basically tissue paper aluminum protecting the occupants from a side impact. If a HMMWV is hit from the side the seating position is such that your pelvis and lower body can get crushed against the frame rail.

If the vehicle rolls, I wouldn't expect the soft top bows to hold up. A hard top truck will fare a bit better.

Long story short this is a tactical vehicle designed with certain goals in mind. Safety features for the occupants were secondary. It is important to understand that in order to make an informed decision.

That being said, I choose to drive my HMMWV at will. However I acknowledge that it is certainly NOT as survivable for the occupants in a crash as a modern commercially produced passenger vehicle. I don't believe it poses any additional undue risk to others though.

I think people should be able to acknowledge and accept certain risks to themselves. Lots of people (myself included) ride motorcycles. There is nothing preventing a person from driving a Corvair on the road today and I'd argue that is a more dangerous vehicle in terms of the likely hood of getting into a wreck than the HMMWV.

Augi

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”