Hmmwv Slantback Build

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Stratton
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Hmmwv Slantback Build

Post by Stratton » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Hey all,

New to the board and wanted to say hello and why I'm here,

Purchased myself a Hummer H1 (1998 HMC4) this past year and have fallen in love. More recently I was able to pick up a 1st Sgt. Base vehicle (1992 Hmmwv with 25k Miles - road titled), 4 x-doors in nice but not perfect shape, and a near complete slant back kit. Still working on finding the last few pieces but I'm very close.

I now have the hmmwv home and have begun going over it to learn what i can before deciding anything major for it.

Currently the vehicles body is in great shape, However it seems it May, or may not have some engine concerns. The power steering pump is being held up by a shoe string and all the belts are removed (sitting on passenger floor). So I'm curious to see if this thing was running and lost the PS pump or what the deal may be.
So I checked the oil and its right where it needs to be, moved onto checking coolant. The reservoir is dry - will be adding water tomorrow just to verify it does not have any leaks in the system. also will be pressure testing via coolant tester to verify gaskets are okay.

- Was verifying all connections and came across this unplugged - not sure whats going on here but seems to be a module or control box hooked to a pump.

I will be hitting the parts store tomorrow to grab batteries and hopefully juice her up and see what happens but before i do this i wanted to verify a pre power checklist with others who have revived one from a long rest.

My plan was to
1. go over all connections one more time to verify they are hooked up,
2. Add water and make sure it doesn't start peeing out of the water pump weep hole or anything.
3. Drain and refill with 5 gallons of fresh fuel
4. connect batteries

-Am i missing any hmmwv specific things to watch for or that i should check also?

Thanks again in advance, Look forward to documenting the revival of this rig and getting her all dressed up with the slant back and doors.
Will be uploading more pics when its sunny tomorrow.

-James

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Hmmwv Slantback Build

Post by 86humv » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Welcome.
Check oil and power steering levels.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 pm

put fan belts on engine and secure alternator to bracket.
you cant put belts on if steering pump isnt mounted.
no steering pump could mean no brakes and no steering assist.
unplugged connector is for the cooling fan. when unplugged, the fan will run constantly. it may have had an overheating issue?

Jason

Raklatif
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Raklatif » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:48 am

Unscrew the generator and generator mounting bracket, then check on your steering pump.

Here's a pic from my truck to what it should look like:
http://i.imgur.com/Tc7jBEb.jpg

Stratton
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stratton » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Great, Thanks for the suggestions - Heading to parts store shortly and will have an update later this evening.

SinDiesel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by SinDiesel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:41 pm

If the time delay module is unplugged (bypassing automatic control and manually engaging the hydraulic actuated Fan), would tend to hint that there is/was possibly elevated operating temperatures and previous operators were trying to assist in cooling by overriding the fan. The fact that there is no coolant is definitely concerning but considering that all the belts are removed and the PS pump is partially unbolted and suspended by string may be an indication that previous operators had drained the coolant and were fixing to replace the water pump. I'd try looking at the weep hole on the bottom side of the water pump to see if there is any residue of seapage that might indicate a bad pump. If the oil is clean (not milky) it is possible that elevated operating temperatures may not have damaged head gaskets or warped head(s). I'd personally check compression(s) and if all are good, purge the fuel system of any air and see if she will start as is for just a few seconds to make sure she runs and take a quick assessment of the running condition. If running condition appears good then proceed to change the water pump (safe & wise investment), put the belts back on and then restart and take a longer run time engine assessment.

Just my $0.02 according to my methodology. Hope it is minor and you can be out enjoying soon!

SinDiesel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by SinDiesel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm

If you do change the water pump don't forget about the extra safe investment and also change the thermostat.

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:46 am

The first thing I do when I acquire a new vehicle is to replace ALL belts, hoses, and fluids. This is a ideal time for it before you have to take it offline from use. Don't forget to service the drop axles and diffs. Anything that's missing or disconnected needs to be reattached and anything that looks suspicious needs to be looked at. Check the vent system for trans fluid evidence of the vampire. I wouldn't even install the batteries until everything is back together. Since the belts are off, is the hydraulic line to the fan clutch disconnected? It has to come off to remove and refit the belts and again it's another opportunity to install a quick disconnect in the line to make any future belt changes easier. If it is that could be part of the reason the power steering pump is "hanging by a thread", literally. Those pumps are standard Saginaw pumps and not very expensive from most auto parts stores. There's no need to buy a HMMWV pump for $100 when a $35 Autozone pump will work just as well.

Kurt
KG6KMJ
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Stratton
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stratton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Sorry its been a few weeks.

Little update:

Held water for over 2 weeks with no leaks, oil remained at same level. etc...
Hooked up batteries and primed the glow plugs twice, she fired instantly and purred like a kitten with 60PSI oil pressure, i let it run for about 30 seconds and shut it down.

Upon further tear down to diagnose the power steering situation i found the alternator bracket to be damaged / cracked where the P/S pump connects to it.
I have sourced another and it is on its way,

Does anyone have the Part numbers for :
1 - Power steering pump (i hear saginaw / GM pump will work?)
2 - Water pump (same as GM also?)

-Cheers -
James

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Power steering pumps are so awful to fix. You can put an H1 pump into it, I would go to rubber duck 4x4 and get a remote power steering pump upgrade.
http://www.rubberduck4x4.com/store/pc/H ... 0p8773.htm this is a whole steering kit upgrade if you were to have lifted your HMMWV and put like 52" tires on it. But you have to call the guy and ask for the pump because I don't know where you find just the pump and remote reservoir kit on the site (the PSC brand, they seem to be quite high quality for the price you pay). I have found them to be so much better then the ones originally meant for the HMMWV and they are so much cheaper to. If I could do it all over again for my truck, I would have scrapped the original HMMWV reservoir and gone with the remote one. It took 2 people and 2 days to stuff that new power steering pump into the original HMMWV reservoir (followed by a lot of loss of patients and profound words). Then you can add a filter to your steering and remove junk from it better rather then just using magnets in the reservoir (not to mention it's easier to change out remote filters rather then taking apart a reservoir to clean the junk out). Just tell the guy you have a 92 H1 Hummer, not a HMMWV because they can't legally sell parts for HMMWV. The power steering stuff is all the same except for the fact that you have that clutch valve connected to the timer circuit in the HMMWV. It's also a good idea to throw in the power steering cooler if its not installed especially if you have plans for adding a hydraulic winch later on in the future. But ya, go with a PSC model H1 pump, they really are very good (I was very impressed and satisfied with there product), and they are brand new, not used and refurbished.

Water pumps, I'm not sure about to tell you the truth, I have never had the joy of having to change one in my truck (yet). But you might be able to find one on http://www.real4wd.com Kascar's site.

Also just FYI, your going to love this...you have to lift your front wheels off the ground when all the hardware is installed. Once you put ATF D/M oil (thats what Mobile makes since that company no longer sells Dextron, it's suppose to be an improved replacement somehow) in your power steering tank, don't even start your truck. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right about 40 times, then check oil levels. This will help get the oil moving without having it foam up so much, and keep the cap off the tank while you do this. Then start your truck up, and do another 40 turns, then check your levels. If you don't do this just right, all your oil foams up then you have to come back to it in like 6 hours when its all settled out, its so annoying.

Raklatif
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Raklatif » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:29 pm

Stratton wrote:Sorry its been a few weeks.

Little update:

Held water for over 2 weeks with no leaks, oil remained at same level. etc...
Hooked up batteries and primed the glow plugs twice, she fired instantly and purred like a kitten with 60PSI oil pressure, i let it run for about 30 seconds and shut it down.

Upon further tear down to diagnose the power steering situation i found the alternator bracket to be damaged / cracked where the P/S pump connects to it.
I have sourced another and it is on its way,

Does anyone have the Part numbers for :
1 - Power steering pump (i hear saginaw / GM pump will work?)
2 - Water pump (same as GM also?)

-Cheers -
James
Correct, you can use a $30 saginaw power steering pump instead of a "$100 hmmwv nos power steering pump m998 original condition factory sealed"

Stratton
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stratton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Fenris, that seems rather pricey, if I was consideringonna spending that much I would just go with the Shepherd steering box setup with alpha link and rods.

Just looking to get this thing running and cleaned up.

Saginaw has a remote reservoir version with the ability to add a filter, the company that makes the pump for Rubberduck also has a high base pressure version for only about 120$, that would be something I would consider,

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:18 am

I think you may have miss understood, I didn't suggest buying that whole system. I would make no sense to install it unless you had lifted your truck. I only linked that huge system to show you the pump options that were available (and I couldn't find the link), but all you would need is the pump. And the pump was cheep, you just had to talk to rubber duck on the phone to get it thats all (as for the remote res, I wasn't sure what its price was). If you can find other options to add more filters to your system, then by all means go for it. The other point I was trying to make is that things like power steering pumps and injectors, or a lot of things with core charges are rarely off the factory metal forged new. Many of these parts are recycled with new seals and things like that then sold as brand new. PSC is the only company that I have encountered that actually bothers to make a pump worth buying thats completely made from all new materials. This makes the quality in the product much higher. And the pump made for a HMMWV is like twice the price made to an old mil-spec standard to ensure your truck can get all shot up and still work, so if your not going to eat bullets, it doesn't make sense to buy either when its the exact same pump for most GM trucks. And the PSC brand pump is still cheaper then the one for HMMWV, I have a PSC pump with a higher flow rate so it would work nicer on my winch and the modifications were still less money. If you want to go with that other brand you mentioned, it would work just fine, this was just a suggestion, cause this is what worked for me and it worked very well thats all (better then expected).

One thing I have noticed that was really good for me after installing this pump, is just how smooth it was to turn the steering wheel. I had to replace my pump cause the one that originally came with my truck had failed on me shortly after installing my winch, and to this day, nobody could figure out why it failed. Driving my truck felt normal with that pump before, and ya it took some force to turn the wheel but I never noticed it much or gave it any thought considering I go the the gym everyday. But when I installed that pump with the medium flow rate boost, everything changed. I was able to put my truck on solid pavement and latterly all I needed to turn the wheel was 1 finger (and this is with the truck standing still not moving). It has never been this good, I only installed it for better winch activity, I never thought it would make steering that M998 so much better, it wasn't what I had got it for, but I am glad I did.

Stratton
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stratton » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Fenris - Sorry, i did misunderstand what you were trying to get at. Yeah that would seem to be one of the better options.

Glad you clarified, that is one of the routes i will consider,
From the sounds of it my local auto zone may be able to get me a matching / usable pump as well.

Stratton
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stratton » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Does Anyone know which TM references installing the slant back roof, rear sponsons, hatch, pillars, etc. basically the whole roof setup from 2 door to 4 door slant back.

Im sure i could sit there and try to piece it together and make some progress but i like to have an idea ahead of time whats going on rather then look like a monkey screwing a football over a pile of parts.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”