Time delay module

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Time delay module

Post by dunsbr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi Alex,

here's the wiring diagram of what I did.

The fan doesn't come on all that much more than standard.
As you can see the "trinerary" A/C fan switch (It has high pressure shut off, low pressure shut off and a fan control switches built in to the one unit mounted on the A/C drier unit) turns the fan on when the pressure builds up in the A/C system. If you are driving at speed on the highway, the airflow should be enough to keep the A/C prssures down.
When you are stationary or slugging up a hill in Low lock, then it will likely kick the fan in a bit more.
Whislt they are not shown in the above pic,I have not removed the fan cut off micro switch or TDM from the system, so that will still cut off the fan at wide open throttle or for fording.

I don't expect that this set up will lead to any "issues" such as you have described.

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:45 am

here is my hoseless clutch. lol.

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 am

So I guess that makes the rest of us Hosers, Eh Jason? :lol:
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 am

So that is what they look like prior to self destruction!

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Ted Gates wrote:So that is what they look like prior to self destruction!

Yes, but mine has a lot of cobwebs on it now fromlack of working on it in the fall. :cry:

Jason

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi Jason,

It looks like you are missing the long radiator support bracket with shims. I may have those bits.

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Ozhumvee wrote:The blokes over on the HML tried removing the engine driven fan and replacing with two electric fans, they found it doesn't provide enough cooling.
One of the Aussie owners tried as well with different combinations of electric and thermostatic engine driven fans and eventually succeeded in blowing headgaskets ;-)))
Because most of the Humvee's here in Oz are M1026's another of the Aussie owners tried different combinations of top and bottom grilles, fans etc and found that the best combination of grilles was the open mesh M998 in the front and the armoured grille in the top which tended to force incoming air down through the stack.
We all run the standard setup, TDM, Cadillac valve and standard fan clutch and the engines all run ok.
The biggest improvement you can make is to fit a 4 speed/4L80E trans, the engine revs slower so not as much heat, uses less fuel and when the fan does come on it is much quieter due to lower engine revs.
In 25 deg C ambient I can drive for hundreds of kilometres without the fan coming on at all.
I've never had a problem with a TDM, burnt out a Cadillac valve once (they don't like reverse polarity ;-))) and have changed the fan clutch once (due to constant leaks) but I've done over 150k miles now with no problems despite regular engine bay hose downs with Truck wash and the pressure washer.

Hi Peter, Is the combination of electric fans and thermostatic engine driven fans mentioned a viscous clutch fan or a military clutch fan? If it was military, I was under the impression that the mil fan's failure mode was for the fan to be moving air or can the Time Delay Module fail with the fan not moving air?
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

cptnblk
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by cptnblk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 am

STUDENT-DRIVER wrote: What I want to do is to start a long term test over one year.
What I want to do is:
Installing 4 electrical fans which I'll have to switch on manually always 2 together.

After I've installed the 4 fans I'll install a data logger the should log the following parameters:
- ambient temperature
- engine temperature
- speed
- activation of the hydraulic fan
- activation of 2 electric fans
- activation of the other 2 electrical fans

I'll drive my truck over a period of one year and switching the electrical fans on and off in all different speed and temperature configurations.
After this year I'll analyze the data as to develop a self working control operated by a microcontroller that keeps the engine temperature as low as possible.

But something I recognized is that even the 2 fans keep the fan on at offroad operation...
What was the outcome, and how did you mount the electrics to the stack?

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”