Petaluma discussions

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Welcome to the Military Vehicle Collectors of California

Post by Greg Lalonde » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:40 pm

i have looked at k.o.a petaluma on google earth,and it looks pretty nice.im going to drive over on sunday to take a look. there is alot to do around the area. convoy to the coast.the russian river,great restaurants.plus the military museum.hope it all works out.is tower park a possibility for 2018? i like to plan ahead.greg l.

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Welcome to the Military Vehicle Collectors of California

Post by timsresort » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 pm

Greg, maybe you could post a few photos? The photos on the site are pretty generic.
Thanks, Tim
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Re: Petaluma discussions

Post by John Neuenburg » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:38 pm

Kurt's right. Also it would be wrong to tell a staffer over there, "We are coming next April" because if they think we have made that decision and/or the Board is not looking at other options (not saying they are or are not), and with the rates and other terms are not finalized, then what do you think might happen to our rates?
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Greg Lalonde » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:35 pm

thats why i said i was just going to take a look.not to make contact. going to dinner in petaluma anyway.greg l.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:07 am

Gotcha. My comments were more for everybody else.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Greg Lalonde » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

i understand john. thanks.

Mike Seymour
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran

Post by Mike Seymour » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:54 pm

Who do I contact to get my $41 space deposit back for the April meet?
Mike Seymour
'43 MB 'Blondie'
'53 M38a1 'Dagwood'
SOMVCC
COG
MVPA #24294

Jetnoise400
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Jetnoise400 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 am

Mike Seymour wrote:Who do I contact to get my $41 space deposit back for the April meet?
Mike,

Contact Jellystone park (same number as KOA last time I checked). They will set you up with a refund.
Sean Nichols
MVCC Webmaster

'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (resto in progress)
'85 M1038 HMMWV

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:55 pm

I don't normally post here because this forum is not well read by our members. All MVCC members should keep their eye on the newsletters coming out. They will always have the most info on MVCC club events. I have been in contact with Petaluma and have been working with Joann. Once we get some rate info put together, we will let members know the steps to take to get their spot reserved. Step one is already known it is that all campsites will be reserved by going through Joann Lesser. Joann has volunteered to be the MVCC wagon master for our event. Calling the Petaluma KOA will do you no good at this point. This is the same system the MVCC has used for years. We do this to keep claim jumping to a minimum and to give members on a wait list the first crack at sites as they become available. There will not be a non member wait list.
The Dates for next April have been nailed down to April 18-23. I would like to clear up a couple misconceptions. 1. This is a members first club. 2. The MVCC is open to everyone attending our meets. Although space is limited. 3.The four day minimum provides us the best rates and gives the MVCC exclusivity for 85 percent of the Campground with the promise of more.
I want everyone to know it is a big challenge to move a swapmeet the size of Camp Delta but the MVCC board has been working to do just that and feels that Petaluma is the best bet.
Comments please email me.
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

Post by DavidA » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Kurt: 1) This is an MVCC meet and you MUST be an MVCC member to camp in the campground. Visitors will still be welcomed on a daily basis.
So now the meet is open only to members, my friends from Texas, Kansas, Norway, United Kingdom, Australia and wherever are only allowed visitor privileges ? Uh...what happened here? One of the reasons they came/come here is because of the camping, friendly atmosphere and their full participation. This isn't the right message to our out of state or affiliate organizations or MILVEH hobbyists. We might be renamed "Jeep Snobs" meeting.

Sorry, I don't agree with the members only idea for camping.

Newsflash: 10/18/16 - 10:57 a.m.

I just got off the phone with Jellystone and talked to the desk there in an attempt to recover my deposit for the future April 2017 meet. He told me "I just heard this morning that the September 2017 meet will be held here (Jellystone :o ) and would you (I) like to just have my reservation deposit moved forward when they have the actual dates of the meet?"

Of course, in order to not lose my site normally used in the fall, I said okay.

So what the heck? Are we back in there? Or NOT?

David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Da-Da, well said.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:40 pm

I think I wait for a year or two until the dust settles.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:56 am

Totally agree DavidA

I'm also a bit perplexed on the statement "I don't normally post here as this forum is not well read"
I'm sure if there was something to read it would be read. Dave...you have been posting in this forum for many years, long before you became president of the club, and might I add, quite an active contributor at that.
I think the more information provided the better...on this site and the MVCC.net site.
As of late, this site has become quite inactive....there are reasons, none that I have answers too. But I can only speculate.

At this point, Im not sure the club is interested in actually growing it's ranks. With the release of GovPlanet trucks in the last 1.5yrs, my business has quadrupled, I have on avaerage 1-2 new customers a week in my shop, these new customers are entirely new to the Hobby, but they are a lot of the times not new to car clubs....and worse yet, not new to car clubs that end up shrinking, and in far to many cases, cease to exsist.

I'd be interested to know if the club is gaining membership or if its declining year over year.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 am

Easy does it. There will be news in the MVCC newsletter coming out this week and no doubt Dave will come on here an clear a few things up.

I am pretty sure the club is growing, especially in the last 2 years.

2017 is the club's 40 year anniversary and the Spring meet will be special. It will probably be larger than the Tower Park meets.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Everyone...

When you have a club the size of the MVCC which is getting up there close to 500 hundred members and growing and then look at the number of members contributing to the MVCC forum on the G503 discussions you can, as I have, say this forum is not well read or frequented by a large number of our members. It would, in my opinion, be unfair to use it as a means of disseminating important club info; although, it is a way to get the word out on late arriving news. I would hope more members would check our own website first with the newsletter reaching all of the members. It gets the club's info out to the most members reliably.
Also when a board member such as myself or Kurt makes a post such as the sticky that has been removed, it can be misconstrued that the information is from the whole board acting as one through that post author. In that case, it was not.
I feel that because this forum is not under the MVCC boards control or even moderation at this time, it is difficult to post here without first having a discussion among board members, especially when it is a question of policy.
I am not a politician nor do I strive to be one, I am the club president and I work for the members with the members. I have read what was posted here, and I can say that almost a year ago when I first heard from Tower that they were for sale, I started reaching out to form a plan B. One of those discussions was with Dave Aro. Dave mentioned to me Petaluma as a alternative to having two meets a year in Lodi. Over the years as a board member and editor, I have been in many discussions about how Tower did not offer much in the way of driving our iron on roads that were safe and at a pace. We don't need to duct tape our hats to our heads. Another discussion that is heard often is that two meets a year in the same place is boring. I am listening to the members, and I think that is the number one job of a club president. Maybe I am wrong. I think after putting over 2500 miles on my jeep, looking at several campgrounds, some I heard about from members and a list I got from JoAnn lesser, who along with Ed Henn went to French Camp, the idea that Dave Aro gave me was a good one. Petaluma has much to offer with lots of space, cabins, a nice town near by and places like Dillon Beach to visit in our MVs. I am going to step out of the box and say that I joined this club for the same reasons, so we are not that much different and should all be friends and able to talk these things through and come to an agreement with a solution to this issue. I think rather than not having a place to have our April meet and skipping a year, we should give Petaluma a shot. Or we can all jump in our trucks and share in the search for the next site to replace Tower.
One last thing about the members only statement, I am not in agreement with that actually, just the opposite. And when you reserve your site at Petaluma, you will get a certain number of arm bands, 4 if you have a pull through. Also I just finished negotiating our rates and there is plenty of room for more campers than at Tower, if we use the space properly. The restraint will be like at Patterson in the old days, which was parking. KOA Petaluma is adding water and power to a bunch of the dry camp sites as I type this and those can also be doubled up on and the costs will be less than one tent. I don't want to try and put all the Petaluma KOA info here but there will be much more info in the newsletters. Number 9 went out in the mail today, and I will send it to Sean to put up on the website tonight. I am working on number 10 already. If you have specific questions, ask. I do not want to do this all by myself and I encourage everyone to get involved in your club. Being the editor and President working on the convention and finding a replacement for Tower park puts a large amount of work on my plate. The newsletter is running late. I am sorry, but I am performing at optimum efficiency. Everyone is welcome at all of the MVCC swap meets. It is up to all of our members to use the camping and parking space as efficiently as possible. So let's work together to make this happen.
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Return to “MVCC”