What to do; restore WC as is, or start over with winch?

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

What to do; restore WC as is, or start over with winch?

Post by rondo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 am

I'm restoring a WC6 command car. Frame was severely damaged so I started with a different frame.

As the country song goes, "oh what a beautiful mess i'm in". I came across this winch model WC as is and brought it home immediately. All my friends say forget what is done so far and start over with the winch model. Another friend says the sweetest MVs have a winch and a gun :D

Pros: winch adds thousands to the value, they are sexy, everything but the cable and clevis is there, and a pal says this is a rare very early 41 command car and only 1000 +were made(not sure how he knows that); no title but working on getting it. Frame is cracked and needs repair. Springs had add a leafs and are missing the rubber bump stops
barewcframe256k.JPG
barewcframe256k.JPG (27.86 KiB) Viewed 624 times
but I could remedy that by moving the axles and leafs over from what I've restored already.
wcwinchwebsmall.jpg
wcwinchwebsmall.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 624 times
negatives: my WC frame is already restored, with title, bumper, and all complete. but its really an open cab wc frame and not really correct for a command car. it also has the big brakes which are incorrect but they are rebuilt and ready to go.

I think I've already decided to restore it with winch. it's just a let down and step backwards to not use the beautifully restored frame?
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: What to do; restore WC as is, or start over with winch?

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am

Yes, that is the answer, but, do not scrap your restored frame. Build it up into another truck.
See how easy that was?
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am

Is the winch model sheet metal the same?
On my 3/4T, (yes, different than a 1/2T) I had to shave an angle under the rad cowling for (properly) the rear winch cross member and add in the shorter winch grill. I added winch extensions (bolt on) from the Power Wagon to graft my winch onto my WC56...I just like the look of the winch models...
I do not know if the winch extensions would work on the 1/2T model, but if done that way, your restored frame is still 'incorrect' (as stated) for a Command Car, so the slippery slope is merely adding winch extensions to it.
The added a leaf may have been part of the factory winch model due to the added weight of the winch.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

philbrinson
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by philbrinson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Tough decision. But with a open cab frame, it will always be identified as an open cab with the wrong body.

I'd swap over as you have determined. You will need a different grill as the winch grills are shorter though you may be able to cut down the non-winch grill. Rear axles were switched out from time to time; there was a reason they went to bigger rear drums. Once you have swapped over everything you won't see too much lost work......

Good luck!

Phil
1937 Quartermaster Cart
1941 WC12 1941 WC21
1941 MB 1942 GPW
1942 G506 1942 Ben Hur
1943 M3A1 1943 Clark CA-1
1943 USMC Handcart
1944 Ben Hur 1944 Converto
1952 M100

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Yes, restore with the winch model frame, and bring me the restored open cab frame when you come down to Petaluma in April. :D
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 pm

great comments.
the restored frame can very easily be changed to match a command car frame. take out the sheet metal crossmember and add a couple of cross braces for which there are even holes in the frame where they go.
the unrestored frame however is precisely the same as a command car frame, (and I think it was) and of course it has the longer portion for the winch and a notch cut out of the front cross member for the winch driveshaft. I think it would be unwise if not impossible to modify the restored frame for a winch.
and yeah I gave away the winch grill that I had aagh! lol
Zeph the restored frame could be yours but i'm on my way to Ft. Bragg. Not sure when I could get it to you :D
The good news is the original radiator was easily fixed and has the original honeycomb core.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm

I could actually use a Carryall frame. I have three other half-ton open cab frames. Just fooling around, but I bet someone could use it.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”