restoring wc 54

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
RBranche
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
restoring wc 54

Post by RBranche » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:34 pm

restoring an early 42 wc 54 and have a few questions.

1 The rear bench seats that came with it looks like they were mounted to the sides with a 1 inch thick board, not a metal channel like other 3/4 tons that I've seen. was this a early set up carried over from the 1/2 tons or are they the wrong seats? i have seen a couple wc 27's like this but that doesn't mean there correct either.

2 Is there a source for reproduction stretcher brackets as I have had no luck finding originals?

3 What type of material are the drip rails over the side doors made of and is there a way to repair broken ones?

4 How much paint is required to completely paint the outside of the body?

5 which spotlight is correct and how long is the shaft

Any help or info you can give me is appreciated, Thanks, Ron

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: restoring wc 54

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Call both Vintage Power Wagons and Midwest Military and they will have answers and parts.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

tractor12
banned

Post by tractor12 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:38 pm

The spot light should be an Appleton series 90.

The gutters are thin steel you probably can make a set or find some on a parts ambulance

Rear seat bracket board I have only seen metal but haven't seen a real early ambulance.

Paint depends on coats and which brand some don't cover as well. You probably can get away with 3 if spraying.

There was someone on this site a few years ago making the brackets. They had them at the mvpa convention in California. I probably could make a set off the 2 sets of originals I have.

I have a bunch of spare parts including front seats, IV and stretcher brackets that are on the roof, boxes, one of the metal rear seat boards, Appleton spot light, heaters, roof vent, rear doors and a bunch more parts
WC12 Wc 27 2 K38s Mz2 ambulance jeep 2 M3a4s M1a1 Chemical Mortar cart T4e1 usmc cart convertible

RBranche
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by RBranche » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

May be interested in the spot light depending on condition and price, I have all the roof hardware as well as the boxes, just missing 1 lid which shouldn't be a big deal to make. I was under the impression the drip rails were metal as well until I tried to mig one back together and got a bright blue flair up. further investigation revealed that a magnet does not attach to it and they do not give off any sparks when grinding on them so obviously not metal. Believe they may be magnesium or something comparable. If you hear of any stretcher brackets for sale, please give me a heads up and once I determine if my rear benches are correct or not I will know what direction to go on that. Thanks

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”