Rondo's Command Car restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Rondo's Command Car restoration

Post by rondo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:01 am

After gaining inspiration from "The Masters" on here I decided to put up my own restoration thread. The project is intimidating and i'm not sure members have a lot to learn from me but then I figure more information is sometimes better. With all that said enjoy the thread and I welcome advice from everyone.

My goal: to get a WC 1/2 ton Dodge that is a driver, reliable, and mostly original. To do most of the work myself even though i'm a novice mechanically. This will never get judged so upgrading is desirable when necessary.

December 2015 I found this WC6 about 1/2 hour away from me. As a member of the Idaho Military Vehicle Preservation Assoc we know each other and share information, parts, etc. This is an amazing group by the way full of experts and professionals.

I created an excel doc to log exact costs, restoration time, and notes. I know how much I paid for every nut and bolt. this is good and bad of course if the wife ever finds this log. :D
Purchase:
brought the WC home for 1500$. biggest bummer was the rear end that was cut off (of course) but drivetrain was there and it was complete.
Title:
In Idaho getting a title is easy as pie so no worry there. Inspector comes to my house, photographs some data, title in 2 weeks.

Now the tear down starts and the assessment begins.
Attachments
CMDCARb.png
CMDCARb.png (236.07 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
CMDCARa.png
CMDCARa.png (245.22 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Last edited by rondo on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Rondo's Command Car restoration

Post by rondo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 am

After getting the WC into the garage and the front half off I note some nasty frame damage. Seems the horns were cut off with a torch. As luck would have it I was in central Oregon helping a friend move and I noticed a WW2 Highland T trailer on his ranch. He said it was going to the dump. He gave it to me instead. It still had 98% of all its original wood and data plates!
I traded it to a IMVPA member for his WC frame which was in perfect condition.

in my search for the rear WC6 sheet metal i found some 2 hours north of Boise. I paid 800 for it which was way too much. I knew it was not restorable but looking back i'm glad i got it. Ended up needing a lot of it for parts and it had a tailgate with pioneer tool rack.
a few months later as luck would have it i found the back half of the WC6 and it was complete. Fellow wanted 4000 for it but i managed to get it for half that. I'm now actually 2800 into the rear half and it needs to be grafted together. ouch! :lol:
Attachments
highland t pics small.jpg
highland t pics small.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
wc6 back half small.png
wc6 back half small.png (151.69 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
wc sheetmetal.jpg
wc sheetmetal.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 am

When I restored my WW2 jeep I found that a parts vehicle was essential. Then I found this WC4 winch model and picked It up. It would have made a nice restoration in its own right but It was missing tailgate, winch and seats. No worry my intent was to use parts for the WC6 and make a little $ to pay for it. total cost $550

one can argue that getting side tracked is not part of a restoration thread but this score was essential. traded the PTO gear box and lever for a WC fuel tank. Sold the bed to a museum in Canada. front axle went to Oregon, hood and fender to eastern Idaho. other parts went to Utah. seemed like a good deal but not I still have a frame, rear axle and engine,trans,tcase and right fender lol
wife is saying what is all that doing there?
Attachments
wc3256k.jpg
wc3256k.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:02 am

Now that I have a new (different) frame the plan was:
1. restore the frame, axles, etc
2. get drivetrain done and plant it in the restored frame, then get it running
3. get the front and half sheet metal grafted back together. I ended up trading a M1 garand WW2 rifle to a friend who is a professional body man who will this for me. I could have done it but Lord knows when he is done NOONE will ever know this was 2 separate pieces.
4. I never think too far ahead :)

Getting the engine and tranny out was a big PITA. Was thinking the trans and bellhousing was like a modern vehicle but NO, they had their own special way of connecting them back then. steep painful learning curve begins. Any hope that the engine was good was dashed. Even though it turned freely, brown goo came out the intake. This engine needs an overhaul. Off to the rebuilder it goes. Luckily there Is a shop in Boise that knows and understands flat head engines and the IMVPA uses them with great success.

The trans appeared intact and solid. Then a member of the IMVPA gave me a NOS 2 speed transfer case. The one in the WC was so greasy you couldn't see the front to back. I sent both to a mechanic (and lifelong friend) who replaced gaskets and seals. Funny thing is he said the NOS case was really rusty inside and couldn't guarantee it. Oh well sidework for a cash is never guaranteed anyway!
I know most of you would rebuild your own engine, transmission etc. that is not me sorry!
Attachments
wc6 front frame damage small.JPG
wc6 front frame damage small.JPG (31.03 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
wc engine 256k.JPG
wc engine 256k.JPG (27.58 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG (39.58 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 am

frame went to the sandblaster and returned a day later with the wallet 200$ lighter. I see some of you sand blast things yourself. A frame is a huge job and even though I keep an eye out for a nice professional pot, it still takes big air to run it. I figure I've spend enough $ at the sand blaster to buy my own pot, but at this point my shop air is not put in so its a mute point.

my intent is restore this as it would appear in 1941, complete with doughboy style helmets etc.

After cleaning the frame, I hit it with some red primer and a couple coats of Gillespie 34087 olive drab. I add just enough gloss hardener to make the paint a resilient and tough. A friend told me this was an early WW2 color, but its clearly mid war. This is not the color I desire at all. So I asked my "pal" to pick me up some early WW2 paint at the calif show. He brings me back...wait for it, more Gillespie 34087. Now I have 8 gallons of that green sh.. :lol: what a pal!
Attachments
barewcframe256k.JPG
barewcframe256k.JPG (27.86 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 am

Looks like you have a great project ahead of you. I know what you mean about separating the engine and the bell housing. Odd that one has to remove the pressure plate to get that apart.

I know a few on here rebuild engines for their projects, but I don't have the expertise nor the time. Maybe in retirement may get back into it. I used to build small block Chevy engines. They seemed pretty basic. The transmissions on these trucks are really simple to work on. However, not easy to seal evidently, as mine leaks. :(

On your paint, I used the 33087 on all my stuff. Ron sells it for $39 per gallon. I haven't used hardener before. It always has seemed pretty good to me right out of the can. Might test it and see if there is a difference.

Good luck with your project. There will be a lot of folks on here to answer your questions and give you insight. I only know a fraction of what some of these MV guys know.

Cheers,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:46 am

thank you Zeph. Your threads are an inspiration and your work amazing. One of my friends came back from the Calif show and said he saw a Command Car there that was the best he'd ever seen. I'm sure he was talking about yours lol

January 2016;
The engine is getting rebuilt at Boise Cylinder Head. This process will take a couple months.
Trans and tcase come back from my mechanic friend so they get primer and paint and look good.
The clutch and flywheel go off to six states for rebuild.
The big parts buying spree begins, with most of it from Mid West Mil and Vintage Pwr Wagons
ring gear, gasket sets, exhaust parts, thermostat, plugs and wires, master cylinder, complete brake line set, complete fuel line set, etc.
repro bumper fits right and looks good.
rebuilding the motor mounts turned into a small challenge. I wrecked one of the bolts getting the old one out. So I went to Tacoma Screw and got the correct size bolt, drilled a hole for the cotter pin, and it was a perfect replacement. New bushings and mounts from MWM were a perfect fit. I like to coat the insides in a little white lithium grease for anti squeak and in case things ever have to come back out.

The radiator went off to a shop for testing. It was bad of course, so required a new core. The original beehive looking core could be replicated for over 1500$ by sending it off to some place in Calif. Or they could repair it local for 600. So 600 it is but it doesn't have that unique vintage look if one peers inside the cowl.

Mystery: do I put on the 4 blade fan or the 6 blade fan? Which is correct? after being told the 6 blade fan cools better, I cleaned it up and painted it instead.
42 GPW; 41WC6

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:53 am

January 2016 timeframe.
Mystery: old ring gear look chewed up so I ordered a new one. The place I got it from insisted it was correct, but the one that came off my WC was thicker! So which is correct? Not knowing what to do, I had my machinist built a spacer to put it out to the same width as the one that came off. we'll see if that was the right decision for 60 bucks.
Attachments
ring gear compare.jpg
ring gear compare.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:07 am

Time for tires and wheels.
I was thinking of waiting until the restoration was done but I had hit a snag and had nothing to do for a while. Plus seeing new tires on the rolling frame would feel like a small victory. I decided to do four for now due to my failing budget. I got a bid from Les Schwab but they wanted way too much for tires.

Instead it was off to ebay: Coker Tires from summit racing, 153 each free shipping and I kid you not, these were at my door in 36 hours. I had an email that they shipped in the middle of the night. I was skeptical but then waalaa happy birthday.

between the parts rig, my WC6 and the rolling frame that I purchased I had 12 tires. Of all these I was able to find 5 actual 1/2 ton wheels dated 1941 and 1942. Most of the others had the thick rings which indicated 3/4 ton wheels. I wish they all dated 1941 but i'm not that anal. Using a tiny propane torch I heated the lug nuts in the hot sun enough to get them to break loose from the old chassis. Wow and it worked!

one of my friends said I could come over and use his tire machine to mount everything. I'm not going to risk killing myself or him over this so instead it was off to Les Schwab. For tubes, flaps, stems, and mounting the bill was about 260.
Les Schwab was accommodating but rejected one of my wheels as a safety issue because the split rim wasn't perfect. So it was back to the pile to find another wheel, clean it, restore it, paint it, then back to Schwabs. I had met Les Schwab when I was a teenager and he was a neat guy.

lesson learned? I probably should have just done 5 wheels instead of 4 and bit the budget bullet because putting it off just means doing it again later. Should I have waited for 1941 dated wheels also? :lol:

also I admit that I hate the look of the tiny tire on the 1/2 ton and thought about going with the larger tire but decided to keep it stock and original.
Attachments
new NDT 256k.JPG
new NDT 256k.JPG (31.67 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Great project. My truck was one of the bridesmaids at the CA meet. Reminds me not to park next to Zeph. Just kidding, he does great work and deserves credit. A few thoughts, on the motor, assembling and firing a motor is one of the great experiences that you won't forget. It's all in the book, just saying.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 pm

I think the 7.50 x 16's will grow on you in time. Speaking of budget, new 9.00 x 16's are in the $325 plus range each with tube and flap. I'm pondering restoring a WC63 which has, let me see, seven 9.00 x 16 tire and wheels!! Hmmm...7 x $325 is...oh, I don't want to know. That's not even considering having someone mount them.

Summit racing is one of the best businesses out there in my opinion. Been ordering parts from them for a long time. Nowadays, I order in the afternoon and the items are in my driveway in less than 24 hours. Pretty amazing. They don't mess around!

timsresort wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm
Great project. My truck was one of the bridesmaids at the CA meet. Reminds me not to park next to Zeph. Just kidding, he does great work and deserves credit. A few thoughts, on the motor, assembling and firing a motor is one of the great experiences that you won't forget. It's all in the book, just saying.
Don't let Tim fool you, his WC16 looks great. I agree, there is nothing like starting/firing up a new engine. i don't know what it is, but it really provides a sense of accomplishment.

Keep up the good work!!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

timsresort

Post by timsresort » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:34 am

Years ago, I didn't like the look of the smaller tires, but I now think that was from being around 3/4 tons so much. I have come to accept that it is an integral part of the whole funky look of the 1/2 ton.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:00 am

Plan was to get the frame done first, then drop in the drivetrain and get it running. Body is at the professional's shop and has been there for a year so I know he's in no hurry to get after it. that's ok as i'm not ready for it anyway. The body is in the way when it comes to drivetrain.

I don't have correct tools or experience. if it weren't for Harbor Freight i'd have nada! haha
transmission: spent all day trying to get them attached. Finally borrowed a transmission jack and original input shaft from a WC transmission and they went together pretty quick. Wow correct tools would be nice! Without them they just would not cooperate ugh!

Fuel tank: I got this from a friend in the local Idaho MVPA. I had no idea what a rarity and prize it was. I spent 2 days cleaning it out, rolling nuts and bolts inside it, swishing things around etc. Then I drained it with clean water until it came out clear. Then took it to the radiator shop for another cleaning. (yeah trust issues I didn't think they'd do a good job in the first place). They cleaned it out and lined the inside. It occurred to me after watching Zeph open his up that there is a pickup tube. I wondered if it was plugged by the process. A friend brought his harbor freight scope over and we looked down it and all is good! They never took the dents out so it looks a bit wobbly. At least i'm confident its a good clean tank.
Attachments
wc drivetrain in small pic.JPG
wc drivetrain in small pic.JPG (44.44 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 am

Brake time. ordered up brake line kit, fuel line kit, new master cylinder, and knee action shock rebuild kit and a few nick nacks from VPW to the tune of 700 bones ouch. but who is going to trust original fuel and brake lines?
True to his word, the fellow I got the frame from said it had new brakes. everything was there. took the cylinders out, cleaned them, coated them in brake fluid and put them back in. got the new MC mounted but not going to fill the system until the end. If it this turns out to be another year project no reason for the fluid to just sit in there lol

while the axle ends are apart I replaced seals and inspected bearings, and did a repack. I never opened up the knuckles though. I'm quite intimidated by them frankly. They didn't appear to leak. Will pass on that for now.
Attachments
wc brake pic small.JPG
wc brake pic small.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 am

This part caused no end of unnecessary pain. Could not figure out how to get the #$%#@ front engine mount on. Removed the front of the engine as shown and it slipped right on. I never replaced the gasket but fortified it with high temp gasket maker, but just enough to get the job done. Not being a trained mechanic I wonder if I didn't just make my first big mistake :lol:

Love the design of these old engines. As a teen I pulled engines, did a couple of clutches etc on my first truck out of necessity but I recall it was pretty easy. Like they were designed to be removed and fixed. Not this pig haha honey moon is already over.
Attachments
front wc engine gasket small.JPG
front wc engine gasket small.JPG (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”