Axle Question

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Axle Question

Post by ng19delta » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm going to throw this up here, and on a couple other Dodge forums, but I have a question regarding the rear axle... My truck is an Oct 42 production, by serial number, and originally had the small differentials. At some point, someone swapped in the large differentials... The rear cover has a 3/8" spacer for it(welded to the cover), but I noticed something else lately. I did not notice when I took it all apart, but on reassembly, the left driveshaft has about a 1/8" gap between it and the hub... I can tighten it up, but then it presses against the box in the middle of the 4-pinion differential, and makes the diffy VERY tight... Were there different axle shafts for the different differentials? I am thinking best bet would be to make a spacer, and let all be... I checked the splines against a brand new side gear, and there is no binding, so I know it is not hanging up there. The gaskets I have for the rear seal are paper thin(!) and the hub seal is M-37...

Scott

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Axle Question

Post by Marty, SoCal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 pm

1/2T axle splines are slightly smaller diameter than 3/4T axle splines and will fit into a 3/4T diff, not sure if they are different lengths, though. Something like 1-1/16" OD vs 1-1/8" OD.

If the splines match the diff, you might just grind off 1/8"-3/16" off the end so the axle will sit flush.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”