Late WW II Dodge WC NOS wiring harness - ALL SOLD

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Late WW II Dodge WC NOS wiring harness - ALL SOLD

Post by Fred Coldwell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:24 pm

This New Old Stock (NOS) factory original Dodge T214 upper chassis wiring harness CC-1089071 is used ONLY on the Dodge ¾ ton 4x4 Command Car (less radio) WC-56 and WC-57 and Weapon Carriers WC-51 and WC-52, all of which must have the LATE WAR 5 position ROTARY HEADLIGHT SWITCH.

This wiring harness assembly is not used on vehicles that have the early war pull-out headlight switch, nor on any other Dodge military truck, so check your Dodge truck carefully before bidding to make sure this wiring harness assembly 1089071 is correct for your truck. No returns are allowed on this item; know what you are buying beforehand.

Generally, this wiring harness assembly goes from the inside of the junction block on the fire wall to the 5 position rotary headlight switch, the high beam headlight indicator and the fuel gauge. See TM 9-808 dated 31 January 1944 at page 244 for an earlier wiring diagram that nevertheless provides some guidance for installation. The terminal ends could use some light cleaning and polishing before installation.

Price is $50.00 postpaid within the U.S.A. by Priority Mail with tracking. If the buyer is outside the U.S.A., higher shipping charges will have to be determined depending on your location. If you have any questions please PM or email me.

Last edited by Fred Coldwell on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Late WW II Dodge WC NOS wiring harness

Post by thunder37 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Fred,

I have a bead on a harness like this, but have an early war dodge with pull switch. Can't I look at schematic for both and just locate certain new rotary harness terminals to where they should be on a pull switch?

Just curious.

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm

thunder37:

The earlier open cab Dodge military trucks had separate, remotely located pull-push (on-off) switch to operate the blackout headlight. The wiring diagram for the earlier upper chassis wiring harness (TM9-808 dated 31 January 1944 at page 242) shows two long wires taped together that go to this remote blackout headlight switch. The late war upper chassis wiring harness I have for sale does not have these two long wires, so the early and late upper chassis wiring harness are not interchangeable. If they were, Dodge would not have created a separate upper chassis wiring harness for the late war open cab trucks.

On the late war Dodges, control of the blackout headlight is (likely ??) built in to the rotary light switch. Additionally, I would also be concerned that the late war wiring harness might have shorter wires than the early war wiring harness for the push-pull headlight switch, such that the wires in the late war harness might have to be lengthened to reach the various terminals on the push-pull headlight switch due to different main switch mounting locations on the dashboard and due to different terminal locations on the two main switches themselves.

Of course, with sufficient time, effort and materials, most anything can be modified to work. If you are willing to modify a late war upper chassis wiring harness to work with a early war push-pull headlight switch, well, then, it will work after all those necessary modifications are made. But I don't think the early and late upper chassis wiring harnesses are readily interchangeable or that the modifications, though possible, would be minor.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Fred:
I wouldn't give Dodge too much credit on wiring harness work, they don't have a diagram for the dash pass-through, it just states to check what's on the other side and hook it up accordingly when your working on it. My brother wanted to find out which 'terminal' was the brake switch power I think, and I found out they didn't have any set pattern. I suppose it depended on what the guy under the dash hooked up and the guy running the wires under the hood on the shift they worked on. Compared to a repro harness, modding the round switch may be a decent option for someone.
You did tell everyone already though, at least your up front about it unlike some others. :D
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by thunder37 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Fred,
I see exactly what you are explaining and have at length found some diagrams. I found round and pull wiring details for MB GPW with terminal/wire nomenclature on the switches and at least the nomenclature matches the end use of each wire for both cases.
Now for the dodge I can hook it up like that with no power, extend wires as necessary, and then use a meter to check each connection for proper function when switching.
I totally get what you are warning people about, so thanks for that.
Do you still have any of these for sale?
Thanks!!
Brent

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 am

Hi Brent:

Your plan sounds like it would work if you increase, as necessary, the length of the wire ends that go to the earlier push-pull headlight switch, and add two new wires going to and from the remote blackout headlight switch spliced into that wire in my harness. Not having a late war, rotary headlight switch wiring diagram to look at and compare to the early war diagram on page 242 to "see" how it could be done, and not knowing anyone's skill level in vehicle electrical wiring, I am hesitant to make the necessary wiring alterations sound too easy. But if you wire it up unpowered and use a VOM to check all circuits before attaching to the battery, and don't let any precious smoke escape in the process, you might be able to successfully modify my late war upper chassis wiring harness to fit your early war open cab Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. All your alterations should be out of sight up behind the dashboard.

I still have 3 Dodge T214 upper chassis wiring harnesses CC-1089071 available for purchase, and will knock $10.00 off each one if you buy two or more. They are not serving anyone sitting on my shelf. :)
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by thunder37 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Fred,

For sure I want one. With your blue light special I might do all 3. So for $120 plus a little freight I get all 3, right? Heck, I guess I should get them and let two of them sit on my shelf for a while... :lol:

My mobile number is 931-252-1602

I have Paypal if that works for you or whatever method you prefer.

Just let me know how you want to proceed.

Thanks!

Brent

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Late WW II Dodge WC wiring harness - ALL SOLD

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:48 pm

All 3 late war upper chassis wiring harnesses CC-1089071 are SOLD and are going to a great home. Thank you Brent! Enjoyed chatting with you. :D
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Late WW II Dodge WC NOS wiring harness - ALL SOLD

Post by thunder37 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 am

Fred,

All harnesses arrived and look terrific!

I will do the install as soon as I get a free day to play. It should work perfectly.

Hope to meet you one day!

Brent

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Late WW II Dodge WC NOS wiring harness - ALL SOLD

Post by Fred Coldwell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Brent:

Glad you like them. :D

Here's a thought on wiring the early war remote blackout headlight switch. Instead of splicing two new wires for it into the late war wiring harness, you might be able to unwrap enough of the black tape from the main headlight switch end of the wiring harness to free up and pull out the wire for the black out headlights so it reaches the early blackout headlight remote switch. Then rewrap all the other wires in the wiring harness again with the black tape to bundle them as before (adding some fresh new black tape to hold the wrap if necessary). Finally, make one new single wire to go from the early blackout headlight switch to the main headlight switch for power. This might be a cleaner installation than putting a large splice in the middle of the NOS wiring harness. Have fun getting wired!
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”