Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture
Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY (TILLY)

Post by Rod Rushton » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:23 am

tilly01_rear01_sml.jpg
tilly01_rear01_sml.jpg (73.72 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
I have just become the proud custodian of a 1943 Austin Light Utility.
These British vehicles were based on the Austin Ten Saloon floorpan. The front end sheet metal was basically the same but used the longer van doors to facilitate entry to a pair of fold-down seats in the back. The rear body could be described as a Pick-Up. This was made very simply and had top bows and tarpaulin covering the rear.
There were 4 different companies manufacturing these: Austin, Morris, Hillman and Standard. They were roughly much the same except Standard who had a couple of different styles.
At the beginning of the War these companies continued with their pre-war models which were then made to Government Contracts and used largely as staff cars in the British Armed Forces. The Tillys were produced at the same time, with many being made, even after supplies of Jeeps began to arrive.

There are approx 150 survive in various parts of the world. After the war they were in demand from farmers to small business concerns as delivery vehicles and interestingly many are now found on the Island Of MaltaGC and several have been purchased and shipped back to Britain for restoration.

Initially I bought an Ex RAF Saloon in very poor condition with the intention of converting this to a Hybrid Tilly. However, I was offered the one I bought, and decided to buy this, as the Hillman could take a long time to complete, and in the end possibly cost about as much.
Prices vary, but in general follow Jeeps which are much more popular. Having restored My GPW and am very happy with the result, the Austin is typically a British compromise, but has a lot of character with much to recommend it. I am very privileged to be able to own both.
Rod Rushton - Winner 2013 MVT Wilkinson Sword Trophy
Exeter Devon UK
FORD GPW 202055 DoD 5 - 22 - 44 Serial# 20534360
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43
Piper Cub 1944 L4H 480015 G-AKIB

1942 CHEVROLET G506 CARGO. #2NM 213219
1943 AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY M6448770

Blitzdough
G-Major
G-Major
Re: AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY (TILLY)

Post by Blitzdough » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:44 am

First rate Rod, those are very cool!

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:24 am

I have always loved the look of these trucks. Thanks!
Roy

Wolfy
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wolfy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 am

Looking forward to seeing it this weekend. :D
MB199719 - 20251697

Austin Tilly 1943 - 221336

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am

Since bringing it home I have been busy with other work and it had to wait until this last weekend before I gave it an inaugural outing.
I am pleased to say it performed very well and the conversion to a later engine with more power make it a lot easier to drive, and the cruising speed is about the same as my Jeep which is fitted with an overdrive - 50mph comes up quite quickly, but any faster I have to keep my mind on the fact that the brakes require some notice, being rod operated - and it is a 72 years old vehicle!

I have designed and fitted a tow bar in anticipation of towing a trailer, and I am confident the vehicle will cope well with it.
There are just a few small improvements I want to make, but nothing serious.

I intend to go to several events in it this year as well as undertaking some fund raising for "The Peoples Mosquito" (see facebook for details)
Best Wishes
Exeter Devon UK
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:37 am

In preparation for the coming season, I decided to take the Tilly out last Sunday yo the National Drive it Day event organised by our local branch of the Military Vehicle Trust - here is a copy of the report I wrote:
NATIONAL DRIVE IT DAY 2015.

Sunday, 26th April 2015 was elected to be the National Drive it Day this year and I chose to use this to give my newly acquired Austin Light Utility an extended road test in anticipation of this year’s series of events and shows I plan to attend. In particular, I wanted to see what speed it could easily cruise at, and in addition how comfortable was it to drive for any length of time.
The Devon Military Vehicle Trust had planned routes starting from various starting points to congregate at the car park in Bovey Tracy, then go on up in convoy to Castle Drogo for a “Proper Devonshire Cream Tea” in the afternoon.
I had decided to go down to Buckfastleigh Steam Railway – one of the starting points for members from South Devon. Not the nearest or most convenient to my home, but I wanted to put some miles on to give my Tilly (and me!) a decent test.
The weather forecast was showers in the morning, clearing through for the afternoon, so I was quite relieved it was going to be mostly a dry day. Meeting up with Tim Selwyn with his Dodge Command car, we had a good lunch in the restaurant which caters for the station before the others arrived, and then we departed at 1.30pm to meet the rest of the group at Bovey Tracy, where about 20 vehicles had turned out.
I had previously arranged for Richard Horner to do a fly over in the 1944 L4H Piper Cub, which has the appropriate D-Day markings, and he duly arrived just as we were about to depart and continued to loiter above the convoy whilst we were toiling up the hills onto Dartmoor up to the Castle.
I could not help but reflect on how many times this road was used by US Soldiers during the War whilst training for the Normandy Landings in the months leading up to June ’44 and how we and our vehicles are due their respect.
Castle Drogo was built as a home for the owner of Home and Colonial Stores (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Drogo) now owned and run by the National Trust. Here the cafe services the needs of visitors and we treated ourselves to the traditional aforementioned Cream Tea. The inevitable discussion followed of what is spread on the scones first – is it the clotted cream, then the strawberry jam – which in my opinion is the logical way, but the Cornish people prefer to spread the jam first with cream on top............either way, it’s quite yummy, washed down with a nice cup of tea from a tea-pot!
As I had invited a couple of lady friends along for the outing, we returned to Bovey and I dropped them off before returning home.

The route I chose was not the most direct, but as the object of the exercise was to test the Tilly and myself, a fair bit of driving was undertaken, and after more than a hundred miles I returned home very pleased with my new vehicle.
As this car has had some modifications to its original specification by replacing the 29bhp side-valve Austin power unit with a relatively modern ‘60’s MG Midget 1275cc 54bhp engine and 4 speed synchromesh transmission, together with a lower ratio rear axle, I was keen to see how it performed.
Although these mods. did not put the vehicle into the Supercar League, they are a significant increase in power and cruising ability. This enables me to comfortably drive on dual carriageways at speeds of 45 – 50mph and climb hills without resorting to crawling along in the lowest gear.
The ride is comfortable, steering reasonably precise, but always with regard for the braking performance with a rod-operated system being adequate, but not outstanding.
Thanks to Rod King for sorting out the routes and details, Michelle (Club Treasurer) for treating us to the cups of tea, and last but not least to our motorcycle outriders for their sterling work controlling traffic – Well done everybody for making the day memorable and most enjoyable.

Rod Rushton April 2015.
Exeter Devon UK
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Sun May 31, 2015 7:19 am

I attended the MVT Cornwall Mylor D-Day 71 weekender event which gave my newly completed Military Camperetti Teardrop trailer built on an
M - 100 Dunbar Kapple 1/4 ton Jeep Trailer chassis. This is estimated to weigh approx. 900 lbs and the Austin performed beautifully towing this at a steady 40-45 mph on the flat. The round trip was 250 miles which I am pleased to report was trouble free.
Needless to say the "Camperetti" was very well received by both the enthusiasts and public alike. I spent almost all the time explaining to people who thought it was an original WW2 relic, it was a modern creation - and NO it wasn't for sale!
The more I drive this Austin, the more I like it.
Lots more events to visit this year - and I have already covered in excess of 500 miles in it since purchase in February.

Photos can be seen by visiting : http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/r4682 ... q.jpg.html
Exeter Devon UK
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43

Dave M38A1
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dave M38A1 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 am

Neat truck. It looks great. I like a lot of those English utility trucks. At the MVPA convention in 2011, I talked for a long time to a gentleman who had an Austin Champ. I enjoyed talking to him about the vehicle and learning about the engineering of it.

Thanks for posting pictures of a great piece of history.

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

Return to “Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture”