Ford Crank Colour

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Ford Crank Colour

Post by Jon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:03 pm

My turn to ask a question now..:lol: ..I managed to get a very nice Ford marked Crank from Hans in Indonesia recently... soooooooooo....

Crank Handles.....Black Satin or OD Gloss (like the jack) or Drab?

I can't find a factory pic or WW2 pic showing this.

Jon
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

Larry Smith
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Post by Larry Smith » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:27 am

The crank that came with my GPA is semi-gloss black, as is a NOS Ford crank I got years ago from Brent Mullins.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:45 am

Thanks Larry,
I was told that Tom had a few NOS Cranks at some stage too, I might ask him what the colour of those were. I have a feeling they weren't Drab originally, but most are these days due to re-paints.
Funny how a simple thing like a crank handle colour is still a wee bit of a mystery.

Cheers
Jon
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

1942 MBT 19433W

Tom Wolboldt
banned

GPW starting hand cranks

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:01 pm

Hi Jon

Ain't GPWs just great! Of the 15 or so GPW marked hand cranks most had a base paint of black with OD added later. A few were still Black with a little OD where it looks like they had layed against some OD. Sean Elliott is getting one of the mostly black ones if you are close enough to him to have a look see after he gets it. All of these hand cranks were marked with only a script Ford spelled out. None had GPW 17xxx (?). I can not say if black applies to all 5 GPW contracts or which one or ones it did apply but I think atleast some did have a black hand crank. Interesting also that photos of some new 43 Ford bodied GPWs being uncrated also have a dark ( black?) transmission shift lever.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Tom. I'll check out the one Sean is getting, he never told me he was, (maybe he thinks I'll give him a 5 finger discount on it).. hehehe.

My memory isn't the best ever handed out, but somewhere in the dim dark recesses of my mind, where I seldom go, I recall the black crank being mentioned, hence the question. I also seem to recall it being mentioned years ago, someone had found a few which had that OD gloss often found on jacks.

I have a satin black jack, so I'm leaning towards the satin finished crank also....but I'll hold off until I meet up with Sean at the Brisbane Swap later this month.,

Thanks again,
Cheers
Jon
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

1942 MBT 19433W

Alasdair Brass
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Alasdair Brass » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:42 pm

Hi guys,
I got my GPW crank handle a long time ago, I think from Brent Mullens. It was unpainted, but almost black in color. I was informed at the time it should be I painted it OD, so I did, but so this is all very interesting.

Regards
Al
D. Alasdair Brass
New Zealand.
MVPA 5676
GPW 53126
MB 290463
Bantam T3 36501
Part of the G since early '98

Sean
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Sean » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:49 am

Thanks for the reply Tom. I'll check out the one Sean is getting, he never told me he was, (maybe he thinks I'll give him a 5 finger discount on it).. hehehe.
:shock: Gee, I don't know why Jon but it seems every time you come over some of my parts grow legs......I'll be ready this time..Image

Actually I am glad to hear the one Tom is sending is black as that is how I'll leave it.

From studying all the original tool pics I could find, Nos and original parts I have concluded the following.

Tyre pump..........................gloss OD
Jack...................................drab OD
F/Ext..................................drab OD
crank handle.......................black oxide/satin
lug wrench..........................black oxide/satin
wrenches............................black oxide
11 inch auto........................black oxide/satin
pliers..................................black oxide
socket.................................black oxide/satin
hammer head......................black gloss

This is what I believe a crated jeep would have been supplied with. Why you ask?
First, the Townsville crated Gpw's. Wrenches seen are a matt black (Not Barcalo by the way), lug wrench visible is matt black. Dalton tyre pump is a glossy OD. As we have Nos lug wrenches and cranks that are matt black and all the tools with a crated jeep are in the same box I am confident they would all be of the same finish.

I have a jack that is drab OD over red oxide. Paint is original so that is the way I am re-painting it.

I have a Dalton pump that is all original. Original gloss OD, original red hose with original air attachment. It is the same as the one in the crated Gpw pics so that is the way I am re-painting it.

The GPA tools pic in JJJ and the GPW tools pic in the ORD I believe show as I have stated above. I believe a late 44 onwards jeep rolling off the assembly line is more likely to have OD items.

Until someone comes up with concrete evidence to the contrary this is how I intend to finish the tools on my 44 Gpw. I intend finishing the shovel and axe in black oxide with natural finish handles.
Sean Elliott
4-44 Gpw 190236
3-43 Bantam T3 trailer
Type 3a Aust. Ford trailer

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:08 am

Some things grow legs so that can run away from home....they know who'll treat them right!..

OK.....I have no arguement with anything you said regards colours, to each his own....However....my Jack was black, with a yellow inspectors mark.. and they have been found with original decals in Gloss OD....so we have , I think a choice in colours there.
Tyre Pumps, hummmmm....7 or 8 pages later we can still be discussing it....Oh. that's right, we've already done that, so mine will be gloss OD....same as your's....so you won't find me arguing there.
Ya forgot the Oil can mate......OD and plain as found. mine will be plain....what's your's?

Lock up your parts....I'll be down soon....

Jon
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

1942 MBT 19433W

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:13 am

HUB wrenches?
All Ford ones I ever saw were satin black, while the Willys ones were both gloss ( but not that glossy!) Olive, or natural finish, without the even faintest trace of any paint.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Sean
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Sean » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:48 am

However....my Jack was black, with a yellow inspectors mark.. and they have been found with original decals in Gloss OD....so we have , I think a choice in colours there.
Totally agree mate. My list is just what I am doing. My jack was OD so I'll keep it that way. Yours was black so I would keep it that way as well.
Ya forgot the Oil can mate......OD and plain as found. mine will be plain....what's your's?
:lol: Shows plain in the pics. My Nos eagle is plain.....I guess mine will be plain as well.. :wink:
HUB wrenches?
All Ford ones I ever saw were satin black, while the Willys ones were both gloss ( but not that glossy!) Olive, or natural finish, without the even faintest trace of any paint.
Luca,
I have a WOA Nos hub wrench that is black oxide finish under the cosmoline exactly the same as the Nos lug wrenches I have. see pic below.

Interestingly I have 4 Nos lug wrenches. 3 are black oxide finish and one is gloss black. The gloss black one is marked MH in a circle as are some Ford tools I have seen. I forget the manufacturer MH stands for but they must have supplied tools to both Ford and Willys.

Sean Elliott
4-44 Gpw 190236
3-43 Bantam T3 trailer
Type 3a Aust. Ford trailer

Jeff H
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Jeff H » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:59 am

McKaig-Hatch, Buffalo, NY :D

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:09 pm

Found Hub nut wrenches as Black in both Ford and Willys.

As Jeff said, McKaig-Hatch, a good name to remember when looking for tools on the Ebabes,
Check this one. on an ended auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

The Ford lug Nut Wrench of mine has the same MC stamp( just to the right of the script Ford stamp shown in the Pic below of some of my tools,
Jon

Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

1942 MBT 19433W

Frank
General

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:24 am

I have looked through a bunch of NOS hand crancks in my search for a Ford stamped one, and all I came up with was the ones painted black with silver letters.....yes painted p/n :!:

Jon: I have NEWER seen them with Pink logos :?: :roll: :wink: hehehehe I just had to........ :D

Willys MB`s
Ford GPW`s
CJ2A
CJ-7
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Bantam T-1`s
Willys MBT`s
Canadien 10cwt trailer
follow me on Instagram #jeepfabrikken

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

WHEELNUT wrenches.

Post by lucakiki » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:34 am

Speaking of wheelnut wrenches,Sean, the Jan 44 SNL G-503 lists them both under governement stock number,41W 383755, and by Willys and FORD part number:the description after WRENCH,wheelnut socket,also mentions ( Kelsey-Hayes 24832)
The same manual a few pages earlier, lists no gov. stock number, but lists in the description KHW 24832. The Ford part number is given as GPW-17035, while a few pages later the Ford number is GP-17035, an older part number stile.
Rather confusing, isn't it? Any thoughts?
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:00 pm

Frank wrote:Jon: I have NEWER seen them with Pink logos :?: :roll: :wink: hehehehe I just had to........ :D
We both know Pink shows up better in the dark since Tower Park, should we ask Alice.?

Real reason is......It's the only colour chalk I had at the time mate...

For the life of me I cannot find the square Ford thingie you sent me years ago, I had packed it away in a safe place...too safe apparently :lol: I'll keep looking...

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

1942 MBT 19433W

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”