GMTK-MVMTS Excel Spreadsheet

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

GMTK-MVMTS Excel Spreadsheet

Post by Rustman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 am

I developed this for myself so I could make customizable "shopping lists" to carry with me to the flea market. By hiding columns and adding a check box I can inventory what I have. I worked off of the stickies here and the posted scans. Some are not visible anymore due to Photobucket. I cannot guarantee I don't have any errors. So if you see a mistake on my part please tell me. I took some liberties with naming convention such as using the term "Universal" for my own sanity when I'm at the flea market. I know what a "Universal" is for sockets. but "Joint" might leave me scratching my head on a Saturday morning. I'll be happy to share the file with anybody. Just let me know where to email it.
Tool List 1.PNG
Tool List 1.PNG (54.22 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Tool List 2.PNG
Tool List 2.PNG (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Tool List 3.PNG
Tool List 3.PNG (56.27 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Tool list 4.PNG
Tool list 4.PNG (66.18 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Tool List 5.PNG
Tool List 5.PNG (56.55 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Tool List 6.PNG
Tool List 6.PNG (56.54 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
I have not yet added in the broken out components of the sets that in the later SNL's received their own stock numbers. Also I used the stock number as my benchmark. Therefore changes to the standard and consequently changes to tools that are not reflected in a different stock number are not reflected here. Therefore it's possible a tool that appears to be identical from 1938 through post-war may in fact not be. I'm simply not as versed as the more experienced members here on the details. Also I went strictly off the stock lists not from the pictures.

I welcome suggestions for improvements and notification of errors.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: GMTK-MVMTS Excel Spreadsheet

Post by henry501 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 am

Matt,

That is a great spreadsheet. Very handy and, as you point out, it works nicely as a check list. I’ll take a closer look at what you have posted when I’m back at a full size computer to see if I have any “suggested” corrections. :D but at first glance it looks fine.

I’m sure others on here will have additional comments and thoughts as they are far more knowledgeable than me.

Having said all of that I’ll pm you regarding getting an electronic copy of your spreadsheet as I would love to have one.

Thank you,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:30 am

Rustman wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 am
I worked off of the stickies here and the posted scans. Some are not visible anymore due to Photobucket.
Yikes! Did you keep track of which ones, Matt?! If any were mine, let me know.

All,

As good a time as any to warn everyone that ALL of my charts and cheatsheets etc will all go poof at some point. Last time I checked they were still there. I think I have all of them on my hard drive, but I am putting off the replacement process until Photobucket actually cuts me off. As a small monthly fee-paying member, I did not get cut off when all the freeloaders did last year. I did get a notice in December that I had 30 days to upgrade to the ridiculous monthly fee for hyperlinking, but that came and went and I am still up and still hyperlinking. Maybe I am grandfathered for being a loyal customer, and maybe I'll wake up one day and all my charts will be gone.
Rustman wrote: I welcome suggestions for improvements and notification of errors.
Nice work. I used to keep my charts (page 2 on this thread here) - less abbreviated than yours - printed off and in my flea market bag for information and checklisting and annotations, but I replaced that approach with the Whiz. :)

One thing I noticed were the headings. Your last column can be moved up to April 1945 from July 1945. There were some very minor changes in the July 1945 ORD 6 SNL G-27 that were not in the April 1945 ORD 6 SNL G-27, but as a whole, most of the specs you attribute to July were actually in place in April, for anyone who cares about that. If you really want to gnat's-ass it, you have to add a column for April, as I did in my charts.

As for accuracy, I'm not going to double-check your charts against mine with a fine-tooth comb, which is painstaking work, but glancing through it, it looks pretty good on re-capturing the major changes across time, at least at the set level for the sets.

One thing that popped out at me at a glance, though, was the hex wrenches. The four (4) sizes you have listed are the correct sizes for July 1944 on (your columns 3, 4, and 5). But they are incorrect for October 1942 to June 1944 (your column 2), when they were exactly twice the mid- to late-war sizes.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:03 am

Wingnutt thanks for your vote of confidence! The April 45 is the one that has vanished. That's why I have it down as July. That one was still visible. I'll have to go back and fix my mistakes on the hex wrenches. Also if no one else has noticed, I have, I need to go back and add a 1 after the 4 in several of the stock numbers. Minor fix.

It's a work in progress and it's expanding. Today I added a second page with the first of the 2nd Echelon sets.

Matt

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Matt,

At the risk of sounding like a shill for Greg... his GMTK “Whizz” is awesome. If you have not seen it or heard of it yet. It is a double sided tri-fold laminated sheet (that folds down to about and 8.5” x 11” footprint)... depicting the full size outline of all of the tools in the GMTK so the user can just place a prospective tool on its outline and be fairly certain that it is “spot on” for inclusion in the GMTK. Additionally it has annotations next to the outlines of the pertinent size specs for sockets sizes, wrench openings, screwdriver shank lengths etc. as well as time periods when a particular tool was introduced into or removed from the GMTK. Finally, it has a side column on the edge of one side that provides information on the various manufacturers and “brands” that would be appropriate for the WWII era to further aid the user in choosing a WWII era produced tool versus its modern equivalent.

All in all a very handy reference!

Thank you,
Henry

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:37 pm

It's a work in progress and it's expanding. Today I added a second page with the first of the 2nd Echelon sets.
Second echelon sets!!! Now you really piqued my interest!

Thank you,
Henry

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:53 am

Oooh I would very much like to see this WHiZZ. Greg how do I obtain a copy? Where do I send my 3 monthly payments to?

As for the higher echelon tools. I'm working off of these:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=281430

I've done Set 1, next I'll do Set 2. I'm working off of Chad's 33rdsignal photos and Silly's MB scans.

Matt

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:39 am

Matt,
I was going through your valuable spreadsheet and noticed that you have the oiler listed as 3" across. That spec. Is generally considered to be an early typo and the oilers that actually match the capacity listed are 4" across.
-Don
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 am

d42jeep wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:39 am
Matt,
I was going through your valuable spreadsheet and noticed that you have the oiler listed as 3" across. That spec. Is generally considered to be an early typo and the oilers that actually match the capacity listed are 4" across.
-Don
Ah well that's a good thing since my oiler is more then 3 inches across :) I thought I recalled reading that. It would be prudent of myself to update that.

Thank you.
Matt

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am

Matt,

Well done at making the spreadsheets into your own tool. You'll remember the information MUCH better that way, rather than just copying someone else's work.

Wingnutt, thanks for the warning on the shelf life of your products. As a result, I've already copied and pasted your spreadsheets from the retrospective onto my hard drive. Photobucket is really going to hurt the wealth of knowledge out there on the net, as various collectors from numerous different fields choose not to pay the ransom. Climbing down off the soap box, I probably need to go in search of more spreadsheets here on the Tool Forum.

Steve

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:28 am

Wingnutt wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:30 am

One thing that popped out at me at a glance, though, was the hex wrenches. The four (4) sizes you have listed are the correct sizes for July 1944 on (your columns 3, 4, and 5). But they are incorrect for October 1942 to June 1944 (your column 2), when they were exactly twice the mid- to late-war sizes.
And here is why I should also look at the specifications closely. Notice how the sizes changed but the stock number does not. Here I will lay out the description from early to late on ONE of the wrenches. This took me a few minutes to uncover and now it makes sense. And now I can make sure to get the CORRECT size wrench...

October 1942:
41-W-2450 WRENCH, Safety Screw 1/4 in. hex.
July 1944:
41-W-2450 WRENCH, Safety Head Set Screw, 1/8 in. hex.
October 1944:
41-W-2450 WRENCH, Safety Head Set Screw, 1/8 in. hex.
July 1945:
41-W-2450 WRENCH, Set or cap screw (hollow head) hex., plug type, regular short arm series, hex diam. 1/8 in., screw, size No. 1/4 in., cap no. 8 socket, no. 10 flat

I believe I am reading this that the July 1945 specification spelled out that this is an 1/8" size WRENCH for a 1/4" size SCREW. I read this that 41-W-2450 is the same wrench the entire time, but the method of defining the size changed somewhere between October 1942 and July 1944.

Matt

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am

Rustman wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:28 am
I believe I am reading this that the July 1945 specification spelled out that this is an 1/8" size WRENCH for a 1/4" size SCREW. I read this that 41-W-2450 is the same wrench the entire time, but the method of defining the size changed somewhere between October 1942 and July 1944.
We talked about this before, but I can't remember what thread and I am too lazy to try to find it. It makes sense, and many of us found it odd that the spec could change that dramatically (essentially, an order of magnitude) - which implies set screws with hex openings that were twice as large suddenly being twice as small, and probably implying the same for the diameter of the screw, which the April and July 1945 specs seem to suggest - without changing the FSN. But the 1942 SNL isn't specifying the screw, it's specifying the wrench. It reads, WRENCH, safety screw, 3/16" hexagon (and so forth for the other sizes as well). That's not just a different method, that's explicit. A different method for a set screw wrench with a 3/32" hex opening would've been, WRENCH, safety screw, screw size 3/16 in. or perhaps WRENCH, safety screw, 3/16". It's that "hexagon" following the size that's hard to read any other way. The term "3/16" hex" doesn't make me think of a 3/16" set screw with a 3/32" hex opening. If that's what they intended, it's not just wrong, but woefully so.

Hopefully we can find a 3rd party document some day to resolve it.

I usually grab any "Allen" wrenches I can find from 3/32" to 3/8" and cover all the bases.:)
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”