Our Motorpool Tool Kit

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Stingray
G-Major
G-Major

Our Motorpool Tool Kit

Post by Stingray » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Even though it is not 100% correct people seem to enjoy our motorpool tool display board.

GPW-712
GPW-713

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Our Motorpool Tool Kit

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Stingray,

I prefer loose tools out and about on the fender or in their stowage compartments, but pegboard displays are wildly popular at car shows, and Hartofoak does a nice job with that approach for his collections as well.

What's the story on the tool pouch with the paint or chalk profiles? Did you acquire it like that? If so, does it seem original to you? Would you please post a photo with the flap up?
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Stingray,
Thanks for sharing your tool kit. I never get tired of looking at sets other guys put together. Each has its own personality and a unique story to tell. Its always challenging deciding how to best display these. Certainly the way you chose makes them easy to view. I put mine in a lawyers book case in my study but its still impossible for me to place pieces so that they all can be seen at once.

As you mention there are pieces that are not correct. Most of us have been in the same situation and we replace them as we find correct pieces or pieces in better condition. It might be helpful if you listed each piece by brand so that if any of us has an extra or a correct piece we can help you complete your set.

On another note, how in the world did you end up with GPW 712 and 713?

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Stingray
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Stingray » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Here' a pic of the tool pouch. Found it in a warehouse of a closed surplus store. It has a stiffener sewn in but not sure of the actual age. The profiles are painted and this is the way we found it. The warehouse was full of WWI and WWII stuff. Clearly remember a stack of NOS WLA fenders. Should have bought it all.

Will get a tool list together and post what we have.

GPW 713 was found in a local barn back around 1987. GPW 712 turned up on Ebay about 10 years later. At first we thought there was no way this was a consecutive number to our GPW 713 but when we saw the frame stamping and the data plate we knew we had to have it. Remember placing a bid more than it was worth at the time but had to make sure we got it. Was surprised to find out it was only two states away from us. Not sure who is looking out for us but we feel very fortunate to have found both of them.
GPW-712
GPW-713

42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 42swing » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 am

We have our reasonably compete and correct set in a display box as well to display with the Jeep and the spare parts kit. I find at times people are almost more interested in the tool sets than in the Jeep itself. I love some of the comments, "you actually had to pump up those tires with that little tire pump?" "with everybody shooting at you?" I also have a not quite complete second set that's loose that I sometimes pose around the engine with the hood up.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 am

A few years ago a friend was selling a miss-matched set of Barcalos that happened to contain one No-ISN wrench: the 723... along with some other GPW orientated tools. I needed a 723 No-ISN to complete a set so the next day I brought another 723 and swapped it with his. Later that afternoon some SOB stole the ISN-marked 723 right off the tables we had a bunch of stuff for sale on.

Lesson Learned?
The temptation for even our own jeep community to do this kind of crap is why several of the guys I have heard from have gone with peg-board displays of their tools or even the plexi-glass topped display cases with locks on them. It only takes one jerk out of hundreds who somehow justifies STEALING things like that to ruin your day.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am

But Chuck it's all Govt. property paid for with my taxes.... :!: :roll:
They are entitled to do anything they want with it....
Sigh...
I had a pegboard display with Bayonets Ammo and a grenade I used to set out. Can't say how many times I was asked if it was a real Grenade. I asked "Define Real?"
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 am

That tool pouch is very interesting especially with its provenance. That split pin tin is another nice touch. As Wingnutt has mentioned I made a peg-board display which now takes some of the spare tools that are not in my GMTK boxes. I also find that the public are more interested in my MB tool-set than the vehicle! I keep them tied down in a box for reasons of display and security, as some of the tools have taken me half a lifetime to acquire.
CAH Garage peg board #2.jpg
CAH Garage peg board #2.jpg (216.9 KiB) Viewed 954 times
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 am

Stingray wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm
Here' a pic of the tool pouch. Found it in a warehouse of a closed surplus store. It has a stiffener sewn in but not sure of the actual age. The profiles are painted and this is the way we found it.
Thanks for posting, Stingray. Very cool! Also intriguing for a few reasons.

Tool profiles like this have a long history in the US Army, typically used for inspection layouts or for actual stowage purposes (as can be seen in many kits from DUKW's to Corps of Engineer boxes.)

The layout is not an SNL G503 RAPD figure layout that I know of. The pouch in the so-called "Ford" RAPD figure (page 221) in the 1944 SNL G503 was folded/rolled up. The pouch in the so-called "Willys" RAPD figure (page 187) in the same SNL was laid out and there were tools laid out on it but they were different tools (screwdriver, hammer, SPW and handle, DOE wrenches, BBW, DPW, and pliers), and they weren't laid out the same. It seems to be an arrangement left up to a peculiar unit's discretion. And if the implication is stowage, neither the TPG or the lug wrench were kept in the bag.

The pouch also may reveal much more than it seems until you think about it a little further.

If it's an original jeep toolkit pouch - and I have no reason to doubt that it is not, and the profiles were painted originally, it can be dated fairly narrowly to late 1942 through late 1943, due to the tools that were selected for the painted profiles.

Since the tire pressure gage was not introduced to the standardized jeep toolkit until September 2, 1942, at the same time that the tire pump was added, it wouldn't be from before then. On the other hand, the 8" adjustable crescent-type wrench was eliminated from the standardized jeep toolkit on November 7, 1943, so it wouldn't be from after that date. (I suppose it's possible that it could be from later than that date if the jeep and kit belonging to this pouch were early war and they kept the adjustable wrench in the kit and didn't create the layout until later, but that's really splitting scenario dependent hairs.)
TEMPORARY DUTY

Stingray
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Stingray » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Our thoughts are exactly the same on using a peg board for display. Its much easier to keep up with all the tools and hopefully makes it less attractive to "sticky" fingers.
Appreciate the CSI approach to the tool bag Wingnut. Really interesting to read the time table for the different tools and how they might apply to the painted markings on the bag.
GPW-712
GPW-713

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”