Tool kit for my 45 MB

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Tool kit for my 45 MB

Post by Thunderbird712 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:45 am

I wanted to share the tool kit I have collected for my 45 MB factory restoration to see if there is anything wrong with the items. I would like to find a Fairmount 6" pliers but I believe the CEETEE is also correct. I plan on fixing the wood on the screwdriver. I have used the g503 tool site and Jeepdraw to assist in collecting the tools. The oil can, jack, lug wrench, hub puller, and engine crank were found in the jeep and maybe original to the jeep. The jeep was purchased surplus in 46 by a fire department which put a water tank in the rear soon after. The water tank covered the tool boxes. When we pulled the water tank off in 2004 we found the jack, lug wrench and hub puller in the tool box. The engine crank was in between the water tank and rear panel still attached to the panel. We did paint the jack and engine crank just to protect them for the time being.

I also wanted to list out what I still need to find out if anyone has one to sell . I still need the Fairmount 11" adjustable, 3/8 & 7/16 open end, 5/8 & 25/32 open end, the small Alemite grease gun adapter, and the HARD to find tire chains (yes I know these are near impossible to find). I don't have the 1/4 brake bleeder wrench and drain plug wrench but there are nice repros you can get. If I cant find originals. I do have an Alemite grease gun still wrapped in cosmoline not pictured for under the hood. I believe that would finish up my tool kit besides the manuals.

Last edited by Thunderbird712 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TJ Zackman
1945 Willys MB, 430923, 3/28/45
Scored 98.375% at 2019 MVPA Convention York, PA

1953 M38A1, 69248, 12/53, 20999713
MVPA# 37298

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Tool kit for my 45 MB

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:49 am

Thunderbird712 wrote:When we pulled the water tank off in 2004 we found the jack, lug wrench and hub puller in the tool box. The engine crank was in between the water tank and rear panel still attached to the panel.
Amazing. This is THEE best found toolkit story I have ever heard! :D
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am

Thunderbird712 wrote:I wanted to share the tool kit I have collected for my 45 MB factory restoration to see if there is anything wrong with the items. I would like to find a Fairmount 6" pliers but I believe the CEETEE is also correct. I plan on fixing the wood on the screwdriver.
The only tool that is almost certainly wrong is the screwdriver. We have very strong proof that the screwdriver had nothing on the shank and IRWIN ink-stamped on the handle. With this jeep and the quality, history, and story behind the original tools you have, I would forget that screwdriver and re-double your efforts to acquire an IRWIN screwdriver with an ink-stamped handle. This kit deserves one.

You are correct about the CEE TEE CO pliers. These were added at least as early as May 1943.

I would love to see a close-up of the markings on the shank and the bell on the business end of the A-348 lug wrench.

And I would love to see close-ups of the A-239 crank, especially the business end and any markings that may be on it.

How did you date your jeep to 1945? Please share your DOD and identification numbers. They could be very important and useful given the toolkit story.

I will explain my interest in that. There are some indications that the toolkit may be from 1944. Or at least the jack. Factory documentation indicates that 1945 MB's jeeps were not issued the A-1240 screw jack. They were issued an A-12668 screw jack with a tri-fold handle. Also, the hub puller was discontinued sometime between February (last known Bill of Materials that included A-1339) and April 1945 (General Specifications with the A-1339 hub puller removed). So it would be interesting to know your jeep's DOD. If it's March 1945 or later, I might suspect the factory issue tools could have been original to a different jeep or jeeps. (It wouldn't give them any less provenance, obviously. The prospects of the tools staying with their original jeeps was very low.) Or, it might give us pause to re-consider the research. Many of the potential original items (e.g., Eagle oiler, Walker tire pump - July 1944 and after) are consistent with a late war kit, but not 1945 with the jack, and not too far into 1945 with the puller. Hence my interest.

I have PM'd a colleague, Fred Coldwell, to get his thoughts.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks for the reply!!

Well add the screw driver to my list of needs. I will start that search again. Must have misunderstood what I saw on Jeepdraw. I added two pictures of the lug wrench to the original post. I will have to take pictures of the end of the lug wrench and crank tonight and will upload as soon as I can.

To save sometime I have the jeep listed on here http://1945mb.com/serialnumbers/Details/10709. In case the link doesn't work if you go to 1945mb.com and do a serial # search for 28 March 45 my jeep is 430923. It has pictures loaded of the data plate and other pictures of the jeep.

I can not be 100% certain that the hub puller, jack, crank, and lug wrench were original but here is the back story to the jeep. George Baxter found the jeep in 2003 and sold it to my father. The story George gave us about the jeep was the FD purchased it brand new surplus in 1946. The jeep was never sent to a unit. Overall the jeep was never taken apart. Data plates on the starter, Generator, distributor, Voltage regulator, transmission case date, transfer case date, motor, and glove box data plates put the jeep at March 45. The FD did take off the rear seat, fender BO light, bows and bow brackets, replaced the windshield, replaced the pintle hook, and front bumper. Other then that nothing was ever taken apart as it was very apparent when we dissembled the jeep. We still have the original Goodyear tires on all five of the combat rims.

Here is where the originality of the tools breaks down. We are not sure how long it was before the tank was installed. However, you would expect that it was installed shortly after because they purchased the jeep for a reason. Once the tank went on it never came off until 2004. So I dont know if my story is anything to hang a hat on but these tools were in the tool box and the crank was attached to the rear panel from the late 40s until 2004. The oil can was still under the hood. I can upload a picture of it in place the day we got the jeep. Because nothing mechanically under the hood was ever done by the FD I can believe it stayed there. The jeep was put out of service in the early 60s because of a simple distributor issue and then sat. So no one ever really worked on the jeep. I have contacted the FD to get additional information but haven't heard anything back. So there is a chance they replaced the tools but why do that and bury them in the toolbox? I don't know.

Kind of disappointed about the jack if that is true. I hadn't read that yet and will have to read up on it. The dates you said for the hub puller make it seem plausible it would still be included in a jeep. I am doing a factory restoration on the jeep so I want to get this right. So if I have to drop the jack from my toolkit I will :( I want this right so if the definitive answers is the A-12668 screw jack I think I have one. I will post a picture of it so you can verify for me.

TJ
TJ Zackman

MVPA# 37298

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am

I guess another question I have is were the jeeps sold brand new with the tool kits when purchased surplus?
TJ Zackman

MVPA# 37298

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi TJ,

I should've said up front that I am basing all my replies on my work with Fred Coldwell, which culminated in "Factory Tool Kits, Spare Parts, and Accessories for the Willys MB," found as Chapter 40, Volume 5, in the Lloyd White series. I don't presume to speak for anyone else, any other reference, and certainly not for the community.

I don't think there is one definitive answer to your question about the surplus vehicle process. According to the guy from whom Greg Kareofelas bought a reportedly unmolested toolkit, it came with an MB he purchased as surplus in 1946. But there are many other records we have seen that shown that the tools were all stripped.

To clarify what I am saying above, I am not questioning that the tools were found in this jeep, or that the tools were in the jeep when it was sold as surplus to the FD in 1946. It sure looks like they put their equipment right over the top without a second thought. In short, I certainly believe they were original to this jeep when it was sold as surplus, and questioning that would seem awfully and unnecessarily cynical to me. And it's quite a story! The big unknown is whether they were original to this jeep when this jeep rolled off the factory line in Toledo on March 28, 1945. We don't have the history of the jeep between that time and the time it was sold as surplus. In short, they are factory tools. Not sure if they were factory tools with this jeep.

Here's some context for the new jack info, which I would certainly want to see, if I were you, before abandoning it. We used four (4) different Willys factory documents, all of which were consistent on the A-1240 Spun Steel screw jack being discontinued and replaced with the A-12268 Ajax screw jack in late December 1944: (1) a Production Release Form for the new jack and handle; (2) a document entitled "Description of Changes on the Jeep", from the office of Barney Roos (chief engineer at Willys) himself, which provides a very detailed list of mods (over 200), including the date of the request from the government/and or Willys as the case may be, and the date it hit the production line, for every mod; (3) engineering drawings for the A-12268 and -9 (handle); and (4) Bills of Materials.

Here's a very recent thread with some photos of the A-12268 jack: viewtopic.php?p=1657341#p1657341.

Lastly, and with total transparency and honesty, if you kept the A-1240 jack in your jeep, I would bet that no casual observers would question it. I don't think many if any other Willys MB toolkit guys would question it. And I honestly don't know if you'd get gigged on it in an MVPA event. I know this doesn't say much about the impact of White, Vol 5, Chapter 40 on the community vs. "JeepDraw", Nabholtz, etc. But I was never in it for the impact or the ego. I was in it for the privilege of the research material. By the same token, I have 100% confidence in our findings based on the documents we had as our references (most of which were not available to predecessors or JeepDraw) and the good faith we used to draw our conclusions. Your mileage may vary. :D
TEMPORARY DUTY

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Wingnutt,

Your replies are the reason why I posted. All to often I have posted questions to never get an answer or a reply that is meaningless. I appreciate your answers. I am glad you told me about your work and Fred Coldwell's work in Lloyd Whites series. I never doubted your replies and now I am more excited because I got an experts reply. I really need to get copies of those books but I cant afford to spend the money on the books when I need the money for the restoration. I am dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. Meaning if I spend the money I cant get stuff done on the jeep and working on the jeep without the books I am missing out on so much information. O the problems.

Never thought you were questioning the story. I just wanted to give some more background on the history of the jeep and to better inform you of my thought process. Completely agree that we will never truly know if they came with the jeep on 28 March 1945. From what I know as I said the jeep was brand new when purchased so between coming off the line, sitting in a surplus yard and when the tank was put on some how the tools got in there. Also the crank and oil can were left in place or added. I am not hung up on them being from the factory but find it really cool that they were in there and came with the jeep.

Does it seem possible from your research that the hub puller would be part of the tool kit in March of 45? I want to keep it if it should.

As far as the jack info I cant believe how I missed that thread and others. I did so much reading on this while collecting the tools. Your research is definitive proof of the switch in jacks. I thought I had one but it is a 2 ton jack that looks very similar. I want this toolkit correct so I have no problem putting this jack aside to find the correct one. I will keep it for sure because of its cool story. Only thing I don't like is I will never know how this jack got in there rather then the correct one! :cry: I really need to get the Lloyd White books because I would love to see a copy of those documents. Specifically the Description of Changes on the Jeep for other things I am researching for my jeep.

Here are pictures of the ends on the Lug Wrench and Crank that you ask for. I could not find any markings on the crank because it was pitted pretty bad. Will look again soon. Also some pictures of how we found the oil can in place. I hope I can get your assistance in the future to help complete my toolkit. Now to put up a wanted thread for the stuff I need and continue on my spare parts kit.

TJ Zackman

MVPA# 37298

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am

TJ:

Congratulations on your beautiful MB and evolving tool kit. Peeking at your link, that's one super straight body on your MB that undoubtedly has been preserved and protected over the decades by its indoor habitat as a fire jeep in the firehouse and by the presence of the large water tank in the rear half. I imagine both rear tool compartment lids are pristine. I really like the late war stamped pintle hook you chose for your MB. One red fire truck photo shows a pintle hook with what appears to be severe underbite, which if present suggests it might been correct for a pre-standardized jeep.

You are also fortunate that whoever installed the fuel filter on the carburetor years ago did so perpendicularly and not in-line, which would have resulted in the trumpet being removed from the nice original MB horn. I have seen a few factory-correct horns that had their trumpets crudely hacked off to make room for a different type of fuel filter that extended further out from the inlet to the carburetor. Thank your lucky angels, especially Gabriel!

Keep the beautiful, deeply-stamped hub puller in your tool kit. Your MB was delivered during the 2 month transition period over which the hub puller was deleted from the tool kit, and there is no hard and fast date of removal so stick with inclusion.

The hex opening on your NOS lug nut wrench is the cleanest, crispest opening I've ever seen. It looks like it has never been used. Find and use a modern socket to change your wheels and keep this lug wrench immaculate.

The factory engine starting crank was stored for decades in its correct place on the MB, awaiting rediscovery early this century. Again, you are fortunate it came with the jeep as they typically are missing. Thank Mr. Water Tank for its long term residency.

In fact, you are off to an excellent start on your MB tool kit because you already have four of the correct special factory tools issued by Willys-Overland that were designed particularly for use on the MB: the A-239 engine starting crank, the A-348 wheel stud nut wrench, the A-692 wheel hub wrench and the A-1339 hub puller. Those are among the harder factory original tools to find for any MB, and you have all originals and no repoductions. :)

I love the dark color and strong grain on the correct handle of your Fairmount hammer, very nice! However, the spout on your Eagle oil can looks a smidgen too tall (long) to me; but perhaps that is due to the angle at which that photo was taken. Keep and show the A-1240 screw jack in your tool kit until you can laser in on finding and buying a late war A-12289 jack. I looked for 2 years for an A-12289 jack in the U.S.A. before buying one from Europe, as did a dozen or so other tool collectors over the past decade. I found the A-12269 jack handle separate here at a California MV swap meet 18 months before I acquired the jack. I believe you will need the longer late war extension for your lever action grease gun rather than the small Alemite adapter, unless I misread your statement. You might be better off making a set of tires chains for your MB by cutting down a slightly larger set of tire chains, as original MB tire chains are nearly impossible to find. Don't stop looking, but don't hold your breath during the search.

Other tools supplied in the MB tool kits were not designed specifically for the MB but, instead, were widely available common hand tools that Willys-Overland purchased either from a specific supplier or from a few select suppliers. Completing a factory correct tool kit can await the restoration of your MB. It is enjoyable "light lifting" which can leisurely follow the numerous 'heavy lifts" encountered during restoration. When you are ready to focus on completing your MB tool kit, having White, Volume 5, Chapter 40 at your side can actually save you money by directing you to the few correct tools choices and away from the multitude of close, but not cigar-worthy, similar hand tools. Get your MB finished and on the road so you can revel in the pleasures it will bring you. Then you can focus on completing the tool kit when funds will be available to purchase White Volume 5. The following Chapter 41 discusses Equipment (axe and shovel, liquid container bracket, fuel can flexible nozzle, decontaminator, shock absorber rubber bushing compressor and tappet wrench) and Service Tools for the MB and will help you complete your MB.

In the meantime, Jeepdraw and many threads on G503.com can help guide you on your mission to complete a MB tool kit. Often Greg and I are congruent with quite a few of the recommendations found after extensive searching here on the "G" and much easier in Jeepdraw. But having dug deeper into many Willys factory documents, we diverge in a few particulars. We also provide specific recommendations in brief positive statements accompanied by relevant documentation and explanations, all without the numerous meanderings and factual and personality conflicts that have arisen the in numerous tool threads here on the "G". We provide the straight dope, not miles and piles of cooked spaghetti that usually must be followed strand-by-strand to reach one or more conclusions for applicable MB tools. However, we have also had the benefit of reviewing and distilling to a conclusion many of those threads that struggled to find correct information and discard old misunderstandings as new and better information and documentation came to light over the past 15 years.

Have fun and continued success with your MB restoration. Please keep all of us informed as you continue to build your March 1945 MB tool kit. :D
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:03 am

Thunderbird712 wrote:..the jeep was brand new when purchased so between coming off the line, sitting in a surplus yard and when the tank was put on some how the tools got in there. Also the crank and oil can were left in place or added.
This significance of the jeep's relatively short time in service (March 1945 to ? 1945), and that service apparently constituting no actual use before it was sold not only as surplus, but as NOS surplus, is not lost on me, TJ. It presents an interesting case.
Thunderbird712 wrote: I am not hung up on them being from the factory but find it really cool that they were in there and came with the jeep.
There is a big difference between factory-issued tools and those provided by the Ordnance Dept at depots as spares and replacements, and the tools that were found with your jeep (jack, lug wrench, puller, crank, and oil can) definitely match Willys factory-issued characteristics. You have a very special toolkit.
Thunderbird712 wrote:Does it seem possible from your research that the hub puller would be part of the tool kit in March of 45?
Yes, but narrowly (which is a good thing!). I will explain...

The original date (when it was first created/typed up) of the latest known Bill of Materials (for an MB-NB order) that included the A-1339 puller was February 1945. That means that as late as February 1945, Willys was still putting pullers in jeeps. The A-1339 puller entry in that BOM (and ALL other BOMs, by the way, most with very early date-of-creation pages) was struck-through at some later date, indicating that the puller was deleted from the order for that batch of Navy jeeps (and ALL other jeeps still being built on other BOMs). No strike-throughs on any BOM were ever annotated with a date, unfortunately. Change dates were either found elsewhere in other documents (such as the "Changes" document), or derived by analysis from other documents (such as PRFs, engineering drawings, etc).

Here’s more context for your own thought process. The "Changes" document (discovered and generously provided by Bob Westerman, and produced in its entirety in White, Vol 4, btw) was dated November 3, 1944. It's a wonderful document, rich with modification details, but as you can see, it was published (for FTC hearings) just a little too soon to answer all the late war questions - including the puller issue! It was also listed by date, not sub-model designations (e.g., MB-QMC, MB-ORD, MB-NOM, MB-RUS, etc), and not by serial number. In order to try to reconstruct the entire MB production sequence, by date, and including context such as sub-models designations and serial numbers, we entered the data found on every shred of factory documentation we had access to (every page of every BOM, every PRF, every TM 10, every Material Survey, and every ledger entry in all engineering drawings), including dates, into an Excel spreadsheet, and sorted that spreadsheet in ascending sequence by the date field. As you can imagine, that was a huge and eye-opening product that became our "Master" chronological reference. After some analysis and some mediation (think about the strike-throughs, for example), we had a very good understanding of the entire engineering and production timeline. When we compared it to the "Changes" document, it correlated remarkably well, corroborating the sequence and many of the details. But this analysis tool was only as good as the data supporting it.

Lastly, note that the Willys head shed used General Specifications as a guide and we have access to two of those. Fortunately, they're like bookends for all our other research - with the first published 29 September 1941 (before MB production) and the second published in 24 April 1945 (six months before production ended).

The September 1941 Gen Specs included the puller, of course. The April 1945 Gen Specs did not.

So, if the puller found in your jeep was issued to your jeep on 28 March 1945, it would mean that the puller was removed from all MB tool kits sometime between 28 March 1945 and 24 April 1945. It's a big if, but your jeep may actually help narrow the window down tremendously!
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am

Thunderbird712 wrote:Only thing I don't like is I will never know how this jack got in there rather then the correct one!
I can think of a few explanations:

- The first is something I pre-supposed earlier: the jack, and perhaps some or all of the other tools, were originally issued to some other jeep, re-distributed to your jeep prior to it being sold as surplus.

- The second you'll like even more. Perhaps Willys was instructed to use up the remaining stock of A-1240 Spun Steel jacks before using the new A-12268 jack and that policy lasted through the end of March. We had no documents that would suggest something like that, but it's possible.

- The third you'll like the most. A key estimate we had to make could be off. PRFs sometimes include serial numbers, but most of them are much more cryptic. The jack is in that category. As we disclose in the book, the PRF for A-12268 was revised for the 5th time on December 26, 1944, stating that it was to be supplied to ALL MB's "after the first 146,107 cars after the 1943 inventory”. Willys used a fiscal year system and we estimated the last “car” (jeep) in the 1943 inventory to be MB-254579. 146,107 cars after that MB would be MB-400686. MB-400986 is actually in the g503.com database with a DOD of December 27, 1944. Hence our statements about all 1945 MB’s getting the new jack. If “1943 Inventory” refers to a calendar year, it would push everything forward 3 months, obviously. If we estimate the last car in calendar year 1943 to be around MB-293232, 146,107 cars after that MB would be MB-439,339. Note that is about 8,400 jeeps after your jeep (MB-430923).

You can see why I said above that your jeep and its kit “might give us pause to re-consider the research.”

Thanks for the additional photos. That’s a nice example of the lug wrench with the 90* bend and the 25/32” hex opening. It has a very crisp and indisputable marking.

The reason I asked about the crank is they were made by Walker Machine until very late 1944, when they switched to Jackson Upset Products. I don’t think we have enough data to distinguish them. According to Material Surveys and other indicators, the A-692 hub wrench was made in-house through April 1945, when they subcontracted to American Metal Products. Again, I don’t know that anyone has done a deep enough comparison to try to distinguish them.

Was there a fire extinguisher? It should have a 2-strap holder.

The only other aspect (besides the jack switch, the removal of the puller, the addition of Walker, and the change in mfgrs for the crank and hub wrench) for any 1944/1945 MB owner to think about is the TPG, since Syracuse was added as an optional supplier Dec 44, but yours is a Schrader anyway.

Hopefully Fred will chime in soon.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:22 am

I see that I was typing as Fred was typing and posting! :D

Fred,

Thanks for chiming in.

I may be giving too much credence to the provenance of this jeep, but it sure seems as if the tools have a good chance of being original to this jeep, which could be incongruous to some of our conclusions. In March 1945, the tools would've been delivered in the stowage compartments of the MB, not in a separate box, reducing the chances of them being separated from their jeeps, and the chances of older issue tools (such as an A-1240 jack) being distributed to a newer jeep (such as this one) in a lot on some post awaiting an eventual surplus activity.

I'm not ready to make a sharp left turn, but I'm at least sitting behind the wheel on this issue as of right now.

Thoughts?
TEMPORARY DUTY

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thunderbird712 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 am

Fred, Greg

Thank you both for very thorough replies. Because the jeep was in such good shape and so original my father and I decided it needed a factory restoration. As my father and I started getting back into the restoration after 10+ years of working on other jeeps I started doing a lot of reading and research to do it right. That lead me to the tools. My father has been collecting various tools over the years for jeeps and just to have them. Same with items for the spare parts. When I went through what he had I realized very quickly we have a very good start and I wanted to know more. So as we slowly make progress on the jeep I wanted to start on the tool kit and spare parts kit. I am heading to the Aberdeen meet in a couple of weeks so hopefully I get lucky there with some items.

Fred:
That is good to hear about the A-1339 hub puller. I will certainty keep it with the kit. The lug wrench shows no signs of ever having been used and it will certainly stay that way. In fact all the tools that came with the jeep show no signs of wear from use. I was off in college when my father took the tank off the jeep and he recalls not even realizing the the tools and the crank were there for awhile as you never expect to see something like that.

I will certainty keep the A-1240 screw jack with the jeep even when I come across a A-12289 jack and handle. Especially since it was with the jeep for 60+ years. I plan on keeping an eye out for the tools since some of them are hard to find. Helps focus on something else when working on the jeep gets frustrating. My father gave me a shock absorber rubber bushing compressor. I will have to post a picture sometime to find out if its correct.

Greg:
Thank you for the explanation of the documents and your research. Very informative! That is very interesting about the three possible situations regarding the jack. Hopefully one day more information will come to light. Even though we can not be certain which situation occurred I think having several explanations is better then nothing like I had before posting. That would be something if Fiscal or Calendar year ever became clear. I image something will come out the day after I purchase a A-12289 jack and handle :lol: Not that that would be a bad thing. I don't believe their was a Fire Extinguisher with the jeep and don't recall whether there was a bracket. We have an original one now. I will have to look at pictures and ask my father about it.

Your last reply sums it up pretty good and definitely makes it plausible that these tools would have been issued with the jeep. Like you said we probably will never truly know but just now knowing it seems plausible to me makes for a good story to go with the tools.
The only other aspect (besides the jack switch, the removal of the puller, the addition of Walker, and the change in mfgrs for the crank and hub wrench) for any 1944/1945 MB owner to think about is the TPG, since Syracuse was added as an optional supplier Dec 44, but yours is a Schrader anyway.
Not sure what you mean by the addition of Walker?

Lastly I hate to ask questions when answers are already published. However if you both don't mind I just have a couple of questions that will help point me in the right direction until I get the books.

1) Grease Gun: We have a lever action grease gun still wrapped in cosmoline. It matches the pictures I have seen of the grease guns for under the hood. I was referring to the ADAPTER (41-A-14-800). Is this something I want to look for? Also do you know if the grease guns were covered in cosmoline when installed in a non crated jeep? I have seen pictures of crated jeeps being assembled with them wrapped but nothing on jeeps that weren't crated. Want to know whether to keep the cosmoline on or not.

2) Is there a correct length of the spout for the oil can? It could be the angle of the picture but I want to verify the length just to be sure.

Thank you again. I will certainty keep this post going as I find more tools for the kit.

TJ
TJ Zackman

MVPA# 37298

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:41 am

Thunderbird712 wrote:Not sure what you mean by the addition of Walker?
Sorry for the shorthand. The first supplier for the A-7511 tire pump was Arnold Haviland. All 1943 MB's and all early-to-mid year 1944 MB's should have a Haviland tire pump. (You think you're in a quandary? How many guys with 1943 MB's probably have a Walker pump? I'd say all but three - which is the amount of Havilands I have seen show up here! :)) A second supplier (Fayette) was added in June 1944, and a third (Walker) was added a month later. Your Walker pump is perfect for your jeep and perfectly consistent with all the other late war tools.
Thunderbird712 wrote:I was referring to the ADAPTER (41-A-14-800). Is this something I want to look for?
Yes. The Stewart-Warner part number is #6344. Is your lever-type grease gun a Stewart-Warner 6593 or a Lincoln 102336? The handles have a distinct shape.
Thunderbird712 wrote:Also do you know if the grease guns were covered in cosmoline when installed in a non crated jeep? I have seen pictures of crated jeeps being assembled with them wrapped but nothing on jeeps that weren't crated. Want to know whether to keep the cosmoline on or not.
I admire your general desire to adhere to original condition, but think about it this way. Unless you intend to show your jeep in a narrow state of suspended time - having being delivered from the factory, but not yet put into service - I would clean it off (gasoline rag works well). It certainly would've been cleaned off before installation in the bracket, and I don't think you want to drive your MB around with that gunk cooking off under the hood.
Thunderbird712 wrote:Is there a correct length of the spout for the oil can?
4 inches. I think Fred was looking at the first picture, not the picture of it under the hood.

PS: Next time I am TDY to PAX River, I just may have to stop by and see this jeep and tools in person! :D
TEMPORARY DUTY

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 am

I seldom disagree with Wingnutt, but please, for safety's sake, never use gasoline to clean anything! Solvent is much less flammable.
-Don
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 am

d42jeep wrote:Solvent is much less flammable.
Whatever you use... remember to dispose of the rags properly. That stuff can spontaneously ignite if disposed of improperly.
BTW. Great story on your Jeep and the tools entombed within. It doesn't get much better than that!
-Jason

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”