Introducing.... The WWII "GMTK" Whiz

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Introducing.... The WWII "GMTK" Whiz

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:15 am

It gives me great pleasure to unveil to fellow collectors my latest product – Wingnutt’s WWII “GMTK” Whiz!

If you’re anything like me, you can be found on any given Saturday morning standing in front of a table full of old tools, your ammo bag slung over your shoulder, fumbling with a tape measure and a fist full of manuals, tool photo print-outs, and notes.

Besides a rag and a can of WD-40, the ‘GMTK Whiz’ may be the only thing you’ll ever need to carry to a flea market again!

The photos tell the whole story, but let me describe it for you.

That field of enameled OD green with the subtle one-inch grid pattern you see in the background measures exactly 21” L x 8-1/2” W, which is, of course, the size of a 41-B-1840 toolbox. Illustrated in white on top of the background is an outline – in actual, specified sizes – of every tool ever issued in the MVMTS or GMTS, from the November 1938 OQMG Circular 4 to the July 1945 ORD 6 SNL G-27. Amidst the outlines, you’ll find other specifications, such as the number of points on a midget socket, jaw capacities, and wrench openings. You’ll also find timeline annotations, letting you know when a certain version of a tool was discontinued or added.

On the front side, in the black margin area to the right, is a short introduction by yours truly, the references I used...

...and a key for the diagrams and annotations.

On the flip side is a Verified Suppliers Index, which is much more than just a list of names in alphabetical order. Following each tool suppliers name you’ll find shorthand tips and cues about vintage identification markings, which wartime brands and logos to look for, and which pre- or post-war brands to avoid, as well as contract information, for every verified government supplier. (Even though it was only the QMC and ORD that fielded the “GMTK” I have decided to be as liberal as possible – including Air Corps, Signal Corps, and even Treasury Dept acquisitions. Collectors may use their own judgment.)

Last edited by Wingnutt on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Introducing.... The WWII "GMTK" Whiz

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:19 am

The ‘GMTK Whiz’ is the essence of the full-blown GMTK Guide I’ve been working on for a few years - summarized, abbreviated, and reduced into a single handy “cheat sheet,” fully laminated for durability and weather. As you can see, the ‘Whiz’ folds up, making it easy to tote in a bag, carry in one hand, or tuck under an armpit for closer, hands-free inspection. When you need it, just lay it out on the table and place a tool on top of it to check if it meets the spec, or look up the Mfgr’s name and markings. (Hint: Ask for a price first! With the ‘Whiz’ in your hand, you’re sure to look like a professional picker.)

Inspired by vintage tool mfgr’s advertising peg boards, aircraft recognition cards, and other Army graphical training aids, I developed the ‘GMTK Whiz’ earlier this year. I tested the prototype myself during the summer flea market season, experimenting with various arrangements. I sent a beta version to notable GMTK collector Phil Jones (G503.com member pjones) for further user testing. The ‘Whiz’ you’ll be buying is as comprehensive and as accurate as I can get it.

But every purchase also comes with this promise from me: I will mail any future upgrades of the ‘Whiz’ to all original customers for the cost of materials and postage only.

PRICE:
$30 to your door anywhere in the Continental US
$35 to your door in Canada, the UK, Scandinavia, Europe, and Australia

PM me to place an order.
Last edited by Wingnutt on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Ingenious idea Wingnutt. :o
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Silly's MB wrote:Ingenious idea Wingnutt. :o
I'll second that!!

There are not many weekends when I don't hit two to three flea markets. Over the years I have accumulated over one hundred pounds of incorrect tools (yes! I weighed the box today). For the last month or so I have been using Wingnutt's Whiz on my trips to the flea market. By the way the flea market tool guys love it! With all the years that we now have specs for it is nearly impossible to memorize them all. Fortunately now you don't have to. This tool would have saved me many incorrect purchases. It contains in a very concise manner all the information needed for your GMTK. This is an invaluable tool that will pay for itself in less than a few trips to the flea market. Wish I would have thought of it!!!
Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 am

Wingnutt, not just ingenious, you are an entrepreneurial genius! Congratulations on a very clever aide-memoir. Even has the file brush and carbon scraper!
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:19 am

:o Wingnutt, Very cool and very ingenious idea for sure!
pjones wrote: Over the years I have accumulated over one hundred pounds of incorrect tools (yes! I weighed the box today).
:shock: I'm sure I'm not at 100 pounds...yet... :lol:
-Jason

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:31 am

I took a "Whiz".
PM/Payment sent.
Don
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks, guys. Glad you like it.

I'll drop a bomb now by saying that WINGNUTT'S 'WILLY'S MB' WHIZ is in the works!
Hartofoak wrote:...entrepreneurial genius!
Honestly, my initial thought was for myself, Cliff. After all this time, I still can't keep everything straight, especially the nitnoid stuff and the details that were never included in the specs (such as the midget sockets!). I WISH something like this was available a few years ago. If it helps others and my spending habit (maybe I'll get out of the deficit column!), that's a bonus. I know you and Phil and Rog know how much work there is behind this..., so thanks.
d42jeep wrote:I took a "Whiz".
:lol: This joke might be lost on some, Don.

Seriously, though, the name is taken from a similar tool I used in the Army that reduced "the Red Book," as we called the big fat book of Soviet Weapons and Tactics, into a 3-inch wheel (GTA 30-3-15, September 1975). It made you a wiz on the enemy in a jiffy.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:02 pm

To all today's customers, your Whizzes are in the mail unless you asked me to hold them. Happy hunting!
TEMPORARY DUTY

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Can't wait :)

Since I'm on a budget, I can't afford to buy too many wrong tools so that 35$ is going to pay itself preettttyyy quick :)

Thanks Wingnutt!
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:24 pm

I "need" one of these, but I need to raise a few funds first.

How well are the files covered? I have a chance to dig through some "old" files. Do you cover brands and markings for the proper vintage?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 pm

LT,
Yes, the files are included in the dimension-correct figures. There wasn't enough space to include all markings for every brand for every tool in the Suppliers Index, so I included markings for the significant tools and the significant suppliers, but it does include a few suppliers that had contracts for files. Disston, Nicholson, and Heller, namely. Old files are numerous and cheap (typically in bunches in the $1 each box at flea markets), so I usually pick up any that meet the size spec and worry about cut later when they're cleaned up.

If you're going soon (i.e., tomorrow etc).. just write them down on a 3 x 5 card:
Flat 10" Bastard (Early only)
Flat 10" Smooth
Three-Square 8" Bastard
Half-Round 8" Bastard
Round 6" Smooth
TEMPORARY DUTY

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Wingnutt wrote:LT,
Yes, the files are included in the dimension-correct figures. There wasn't enough space to include all markings for every brand for every tool in the Suppliers Index, so I included markings for the significant tools and the significant suppliers, but it does include a few suppliers that had contracts for files. Disston, Nicholson, and Heller, namely. Old files are numerous and cheap (typically in bunches in the $1 each box at flea markets), so I usually pick up any that meet the size spec and worry about cut later when they're cleaned up.

If you're going soon (i.e., tomorrow etc).. just write them down on a 3 x 5 card:
Flat 10" Bastard (Early only)
Flat 10" Smooth
Three-Square 8" Bastard
Half-Round 8" Bastard
Round 6" Smooth
Thank you. Not going that quickly, but now armed with the knowledge.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Second and third batches were mailed yesterday and today, guys.

SOME ETXRA NOTES (in case the "key" is not intuitive enough)

- Tools illustrated with a SOLID LINE are tools with dimensions that were specified in a GMTK manual.

- Tools illustrated with a DASHED LINE are tools with dimensions that were NOT specified in a GMTK manual.

- Handles that were not specified (e.g., screwdrivers, oval sash brush, etc) are not illustrated at all. Mainly to fit everything in, but also because I wanted to stay as true to the manuals as possible.

- The SOLID outlines are dimensionally precise. Tools are not as precise, and they also vary by brand. Federal specifications allow slight +/-variances for these reasons. Use common sense. Close is often good enough.

- The DASHED outlines are all derived from the average of several brands. Again, all brands vary slightly in size. Use common sense.

- Brands also vary in shape. I obviously chose certain brands to represent a single tool. But just like the RAPD figures in manuals, the outlines are not exclusive with respect to shape. The shape of the same tool from a different Mfgr with perfectly correct dimensions may nevertheless not match the shape of the outline. Remember that it’s the specified dimensions – length, width, or diameter – that matter. Not shape.

The GMTK changed several times throughout the war. The RED ANNOTATIONS are there to show when a tool or a version of a tool with different specifications was added to or discontinued from the set. Each annotation contains a little time arrow (->) and a date.

Happy hunting!
TEMPORARY DUTY

OldSchool12
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by OldSchool12 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:53 pm

Wingnutt,
I am just getting started on my GMTK. I was actually getting a little overwhelmed on how I was going to identify the correct pieces, sizes and brands. This looks like the perfect answer to my quandary. Put me down for one.
Oldschool

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”