WARTIME SUPPLIERS: LIST A (VERIFIED QMC & ORD)

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: WARTIME SUPPLIERS: LIST A (VERIFIED QMC & ORD)

Post by Silly's MB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Sears Roebuck Chicago is also listed as supplying tools and tools sets to the Army, another good way of getting Craftsman into the system.
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Silly's MB wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 am
I found this February 1943 version online.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/1 ... tracts&ft=

I appreciate it is different to the end of war version.

The introductory note is interesting as it seems to suggest that it is only for contracts that have not been completed ?

Cinncinnati Ball Crank is listed even though it should of changed its name to Balcrank by then.

I'm not sure how much help the 1943 version is as this data is also in the final version. I also don't like the fact the contract numbers are not listed only the name, amounts and dates.

Very cool find though! :wink:
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi Mark,
The main thing I found interesting is that currently Cincinnati Balcrank is in list C, No contracts but if they are in this work in progress document they should be the final document.

Just interested because I have gotten me a Brookins measure and I was following up but I was already confident that it was good to go.
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:07 am

Fred and I verified Cincinnati Balcrank as a Willys supplier in White, Vol 5, Chap 40, Roger, so it may have just been an oversight on my part way back when. I'll check again. As for their name, they used them interchangeably at one point, business entity and brand. I found ads to that effect. I'll post the details later.
Silly's MB wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm
Sears Roebuck Chicago is also listed as supplying tools and tools sets to the Army, another good way of getting Craftsman into the system.
All Signal Corps contract numbers. (That's the downside of them not being included in the 43 edition. That's why I have them in List B.)
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks for the prompt, Roger. As you can see, I found it under Balcrank (no Cincinnati in front of it). I find it most interesting that they sold $137,000 worth of grease guns ("LUBRICATION EQUIPMENT") to the Ordnance Dept in late 1942 and early 1943. Since they were a second, somewhat mysterious supplier to Willys for the MB A-213 9 oz push-type grease gun I think we can assume there's a good chance the Ordnance Dept was buying them as well. Model number P-9. Nobody has ever seen one in the wild. I have seen an artist's rendering of a Cincinnati Balcrank push-type grease gun in a motor journal ad (it had a strange T-shaped plunger), and I am always on the look-out at flea markets. (Note to self to post that add'l Balcrank grease gun info on a grease gun thread.)

I will update the A list.

Cincinnati Balcrank.jpg
Cincinnati Balcrank.jpg (114.44 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
TEMPORARY DUTY

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 am

Greg,
As for their name, they used them interchangeably at one point, business entity and brand. I found ads to that effect. I'll post the details later.
Do you have copies of those ads that you could share here? Alternatively, do you have the links to said ads?

Also,
Nobody has ever seen one in the wild. I have seen an artist's rendering of a Cincinnati Balcrank push-type grease gun in a motor journal ad (it had a strange T-shaped plunger)
Would you share the ad (or links to it) showing this gun as well.

Thank you very much,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:04 am

henry501 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 am
Would you share the ad (or links to it) showing this gun as well.
I said I would.
Wingnutt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 am
(Note to self to post that add'l Balcrank grease gun info on a grease gun thread.)
Have to find it, get it organized etc.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:50 am

At least it has moved another supplier over to the A list.

I have been looking for a Balcrank lubricating gun ever since I got the book but still no luck.
Attachments
Balcrank1.jpg
Balcrank1.jpg (233.37 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:25 pm

That's a nice ad, Roger. 1936 might be the last year they were operating as Cincinnati Ball Crank. I found indications in USPTO documents that they were re-registering all their patents and trademarks as Balcrank, Inc. by 1937. As your ad shows, and as I alluded to upthread, they were already using that as a brand name and had been since the 1920's. (Similar to Champion DeArment changing over to Channellock.) And, I didn't know they also made the Brookins brand pitchers!

I'm going to start a new thread so this one doesn't go sideways. If you guys don't mind, let's move the conversation on Balcrank there...
TEMPORARY DUTY

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Greg,
I said I would.
Thank you. I figured as much but wanted to be sure. Will you also be posting the ads you found showing the use of the "Cincinnati Ball Crank" and "Balcrank" names? Saw your USPTO comment above about "Balcrank" but would like to see if there is any further info. on this as substantiated by ads.
And, I didn't know they also made the Brookins brand pitchers!
Yes indeed. I discovered this empirically while researching candidates for the 41-M-942 8qt. measure for my collection. Won't dilute this thread with that so I'll post more about it on the Balcrank Grease gun thread you create and likely this thread

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... s#p1701897

About oil Measures.

Thank you again,
Henry
Last edited by henry501 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 am

henry501 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm
Will you also be posting the ads you found showing the use of the "Cincinnati Ball Crank" and "Balcrank" names? Saw your USPTO comment above about "Balcrank" but would like to see if there is any further info. on this as substantiated by ads.
No need. Roger's is representative. They used Balcrank as a brand name for everything from bumpers to service, until 1933, when they adopted that as their new name. No idea why there was so much confusion about it from others well into the 40's (I found numerous instances of "Cincinnati Ball Crank" all the way up to 1944, but never from the company itself) - to the extent of a US government office record (Roger's 1943 CPA MWSC) still referring to them by that name, but their own website history confirms they changed the name in 1933.
TEMPORARY DUTY

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Greg,

Thank you for the reply. Not to be obstuse but did you find any instance in any of the ads that you found where "The Cincinnati Ball Crank Co." is mentioned but not "Balcrank"?

Thank you,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:56 am

Note: I can no longer edit the list in post #1.

UPDATE

Put "Androck" firmly in the VERIFIED category...

This just came up on another tools forum. I thought I had shared this info a few years ago, but obviously did not, as it is not on LIST A, and it is till on LIST C.

As most of you know, "Androck" Phillips tip screwdrivers have been showing up in the UK and elsewhere in the ETO and also in the US for many years and have become a WWII collectors' choice, especially for Dodge 1/2 Ton 4 x 4 trucks, and later, for GMTK's, as a somewhat questionable alternative with somewhat questionable provenance for Vlchek screwdrivers of the same type. Somewhat questionable because there was no substantive information or evidence other than them showing up in surplus lots, and slot tip examples showing up in found Carpenters tool-sets, and because the name "Androck" is found on antique and vintage kitchen utensils (spatulas, strainers, sieves, sifters, wisks, etc).

Putting two and two together, I tracked "Androck" down to a brand name of the Washburn Company, which was largely converted into a defense production plant during WWII.

Washburn's converted wartime production included tent slips, tent pegs, and can openers, but also bomb parts (arming wires), and of course, tools, including a $53,000 contract with the US Army Ordnance Dept in late 1942 into 1943. As you all know, the ORD owned the tracked and wheeled vehicle maintenance role after mid- to late-1942, and they bought tools for that responsibility as spares for on-board toolkits that the vehicle OEM's were supplying (e.g., Dodge), as well as for equipping rear echelon depot maintenance shops (e.g., GMTK's).

Washburn Androck.jpg

"Androck" was originally trademarked in 1915 by the Andrews Wire and Tool Works. Washburn acquired Andrews (and the TM) in the late 1930's and applied for a re-issue of the TM in 1947, granted in 1951.

Washburn Androck TM1.jpg
Washburn Androck TM2.jpg
TEMPORARY DUTY

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks for the update. Here is my Androck slotted screwdriver.
-Don
Attachments
42159E24-7852-47AD-939E-019486C3332A.jpeg
Androck screwdriver
51875155-AF5A-4955-A3B9-25C03D515059.jpeg
A258A4B7-9A51-462F-BE76-513B08358B3B.jpeg
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:18 pm

All,

I ran into some interesting references on Google Books. You can download all three of them for free for use at your own convenience and pace.

"WAR INDUSTRIAL FACILTIES AUTHORIZED JULY 940 - AUGUST 1945, Listed Alphabetically by Company and Plant Location", CPA, Industrial Statistics Division, July 30, 1946, linked here.

"WAR MANUFACTURING FACILITIES AUTHORIZED BY STATE AND COUNTY, Through December 1944, Vol I, Alabama-New Hampshire," WPB, June 15, 1945, linked here.

"WAR MANUFACTURING FACILITIES AUTHORIZED BY STATE AND COUNTY, Through December 1944, Vol II, New Jersey-Wyoming," WPB, June 15, 1945, linked here.

All three documents record the same data, just sorted differently. They are basically lists of companies, by company name, or by county and state, citing the amount of funds the companies received to upgrade their facilities for war production, by total, whether it was public funds, private funds, or both, and the sponsoring agency (by code). It also includes what the facilities were to be used for. I just did some random mfgr searches, and I also searched on TOOLS, HAND TOOLS, and SERVICE TOOLS. Interesting results. For example, Disston received $5,077,000 to upgrade their plant. Bonney got $244,000. Plomb Chicago got $57,000, Plomb LA got $105,000.

Why am I putting it here? Because, while it's not a contract listing, it could be a good alternative source for verifying mfgrs. In fact, it may be even better than the CPA Major War Supply Contracts, since these documents don't have any minimum limits.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”