M201 Wheel studs

1956-1966, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep® series, Wanted, For Sale, and Knowledge Base
stanpart57
G-Private
G-Private

M201 Wheel studs

Post by stanpart57 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:22 am

I have an ongoing problem with Left hand wheel studs. I managed to snap one and stretch another while 'undoing' them the wrong way!
I purchased some standard MB/GPW 'jeep' replacements but they are slightly too small and just drop into the splines, also the splines on those removed are slightly longer. It would seem that the hub is splined but the drum section is not.
Any one come across this, and more importantly have an answer?

Thanks

Paul W.

stanpart57
G-Private
G-Private

M201 Wheel studs

Post by stanpart57 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am

I thought of that, and got some others (different source) the guy kindly measured them for me, he selected some that were larger across the splines and these are a better fit but still have less of the spline engaging than those I removed. I tried applying some Loctite but they still just pushed out. As a temporary fix I have used a strip of beer can to give an interference fit, it works but i am not totally happy.

The replacements are also slightly shorter than the originals by about 2mm, not obvious until the nuts are on and snugged down!

Paul.

stanpart57
G-Private
G-Private

M201 Wheel studs

Post by stanpart57 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:36 pm

I have some photos of the different studs and the hub/drum but can't work out how to make them accessible here!

Paul

Return to “M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep®”