Mitsubishis Made under License

1956-1966, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep® series, Wanted, For Sale, and Knowledge Base
Invicta
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Mitsubishis Made under License

Post by Invicta » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 am

At the risk of getting told to "sling my hook"
I thought there maybe some interest in my 1975 SWB Model J26.

Although not an exact replica it does have a lot of similarities to the G503 e.g. I've fitted 16" rims to replace the 15" originals - bought from Jeeparts Shrewsbury at last years Malvern show.

If anyone is interested I can post a brief history of the 4 Model 20s that Colt imported into the UK via Ireland in 1975. They still have a J26 which they restored last year to a very high standard.

I use mine daily and am currently looking at the teeth and splines in order to get an overdrive from either HermTheOverdriveGuy, AdvancedAdapters or OwensImports (units/parts from Japan).

Regards
Bernard
Tewkesbury

ArmySailor
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by ArmySailor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:28 am

Hi Bernard,

Post away! Always interested in the Jeep family tree.. no matter how far out on the branch. It hasn't been that long ago that Mitsu stopped building the license Jeeps. Mitsubishi has a museum in Japan and the Jeeps take up a solid corner of it!
Jim Allen

Keeping the Good 'Ol Days of Four Wheeling Alive

ArmySailor

Post by ArmySailor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:28 am

Hi Bernard,

Post away! Always interested in the Jeep family tree.. no matter how far out on the branch. It hasn't been that long ago that Mitsu stopped building the license Jeeps. Mitsubishi has a museum in Japan and the Jeeps take up a solid corner of it!
Jim Allen

Keeping the Good 'Ol Days of Four Wheeling Alive

Invicta
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Invicta » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:53 am

Jim,

As far as I can gather:
Colt UK imported 4 J20 series in the mid 70s as part of an evaluation.
I've spoken to Mitsubishi UK people who remember my soft top SWB being used for pheasant shoots and general off road testing.
There was also a LWB (J26H?) which was given some attention for Shows e.g. Leather rear seats.
Aparently 2 others were/are around, 1 in Southern Ireland and the other has gone AWOL.

No further Jeeps were imported as the Shogun (and Pajeros) replaced what was seen as an old fashioned/basic offering.

I was amazed to find an almost identical J26 at a recent official Mitsubishi stand a few months back. This one has been fully restored to A1 condition and, as far as I know, is just used for static displays.

Mine is used daily and gives me loads of enjoyment apart from high revs above 55Mph.
Im looking at solutions such as changing gear ratio of 4th or final rear drive as there doesn't seem to be any room for an overdrive or bigger gear box.

If anyone can add anything to this then I would appreciate hearing from them.

Bernard

Return to “M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep®”