Hand pump bracket connection to rear seat on GPW

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Hand pump bracket connection to rear seat on GPW

Post by wynnski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:23 pm

How is the bracket that holds the foot of the hand pump connected to the underside of the rear seat on the GPW? I bought some new brackets and there are some holes in the base bracket. Is it welded, bolted or riveted? the place where mine was has had a perfectly sized patch welded into the seat as if the old bracket had stress cracked a neat rectangular hole in the seat base.
GPW #106837

JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: Hand pump bracket connection to rear seat on GPW

Post by JAB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Original early GPW rear seats did not have tire pump brackets and they are actually fairly rare. If you have such a rear seat you would be making it less valuable by adding the bracket. Having said that, it sounds like you had a bracket there, but I can't help because I have the early version myself.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by wynnski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:19 pm

JAB wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm
Original early GPW rear seats did not have tire pump brackets and they are actually fairly rare. If you have such a rear seat you would be making it less valuable by adding the bracket. Having said that, it sounds like you had a bracket there, but I can't help because I have the early version myself.
Mine is April 43 and according to all of the information I can find the pump was fitted in about February 43. The stud for the handle bracket has been broken off and the hole welded up.
GPW #106837

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by wynnski » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 am

Does no one know how the large pump bracket is fitted under the rear seat ? spot welds, rivets, bolts?
GPW #106837

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:59 am

As stated above....the early seats with NO provision for the pump seem to be more prevalent. Why butcher one to make it a "late" when I am pretty sure there will GPW owners in your neck of the woods who would love to trade you a LATE version.

If you were in the Bay Area I would hot-foot it over to your place with one I have that has the brackets factory installed and trade you in a New York minute.

Oh yeah...the foot bracket is spot welded and the handle clamp is held with a stud similar to the one holding the battery bracket that is located on the fender or the one on the floor for the ground strap. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the rear seat? The M201 seat is similar but the foot pump mounting is much different...
Last edited by Chuck Lutz on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by wynnski » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:29 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:59 am
As stated above....the early seats with NO provision for the pump seem to be more prevalent. Why butcher one to make it a "late" when I am pretty sure there will GPW owners in your neck of the woods who would love to trade you a LATE version.

If you were in the Bay Area I would hot-foot it over to your place with one I have that has the brackets factory installed and trade you in a New York minute.

Oh yeah...the foot bracket is spot welded and the handle clamp is held with a stud similar to the one holding the battery bracket that is located on the fender or the one on the floor for the ground strap.
Hello Chuck
Thank you for the reply. My GPW was fitted with a pump as it is April 1943, I would have thought your 108 would have a pump fitted, should it not?
The new bracket has 3 holes in it, I suppose they are so you can puddle weld it onto the seat with a mig welder. My seat has a repair the same shape as the pump bracket as if the old bracket had broken off making a hole in the seat. The stud has broken off and the stub is still there. I will post some picures later.
GPW #106837

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 pm

My GPW-17963 should not have a tire bump bracket on the rear seat....I have two of the rear seats with the brackets, one currently in GPW-17963 and the other set aside for GPW-108552.

So, it sounds like you have a late rear seat someone butchered or damaged so reinstalling the brackets sounds about right. You can plug weld the foot bracket where the old one was and perhaps drill through the handle stud remains and install a section of threaded rod and secure it with a bit of weld under the cushion that you can round off. Be careful not to blow a hole through the seat pan when plug welding the foot bracket back on.

PS...check your tire pump to see if it fits the bracket BEFORE welding it to the seat...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by wynnski » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 pm
My GPW-17963 should not have a tire bump bracket on the rear seat....I have two of the rear seats with the brackets, one currently in GPW-17963 and the other set aside for GPW-108552.

So, it sounds like you have a late rear seat someone butchered or damaged so reinstalling the brackets sounds about right. You can plug weld the foot bracket where the old one was and perhaps drill through the handle stud remains and install a section of threaded rod and secure it with a bit of weld under the cushion that you can round off. Be careful not to blow a hole through the seat pan when plug welding the foot bracket back on.

PS...check your tire pump to see if it fits the bracket BEFORE welding it to the seat...
Out of interest, what is the thread on the stud for the pump handle bracket?
GPW #106837

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:19 pm

I found this in my pictures file, which reminded me that I did have one with the bracket. The stud is a special part but I'm sure you can easily fix it like Chuck suggested. It's fully threaded, 5/16-18 X 1-1/4 such that 1-1/16" protrudes through the pan. The bracket appears to be welded only where the three holes are, which is odd because it's almost broken off like yours. If I don't fix it, it too will break off leaving a rectangular hole. The holes are about 1/4" or maybe a little larger, one right below the end of the tape measure and two more above it, almost in a line. Seems like a poor way to do it, but it's lasted this long. This is an F-marked seat pan (look below the tape at 9-3/4).

-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by wynnski » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 am

Jab
Thank you very much, that was exactly the information I was after and the reinforcement fo the theory that my bracket broke off.
Below are pictures of my rear seat.
IMG_4106.JPG
Complete seat
IMG_4106.JPG (94.54 KiB) Viewed 527 times
IMG_4105.JPG
Repair patch where the bracket for the foot of the pump went
IMG_4105.JPG (91.7 KiB) Viewed 527 times
IMG_4104.JPG
Welded up hole where the bolt went
IMG_4104.JPG (97.9 KiB) Viewed 527 times
In the last picture you can just make out the circular edge of the hole that the stud went through to secure the pump handle
GPW #106837

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Oh boy. You need more info to do the job properly. I’m off work tonight due to family issues but I should have time later to get you more accurate dimensions, including the head of the stud.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi,

I think you want a weld stud- something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1LAN4-Weld-Stu ... Sw7z1aD57A

Shouldn't be too hard to find at a local hardware store or online hardware retailers.

Cheers,
Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Yup, that’s what it looks like. I’m going to be tied up for a while but if you need a specific dimension I should be able to get it
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”