Custom Stencils

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Custom Stencils

Post by JAB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm

About 25 years ago I had some stencils made for the blue drab hood number on my GPW by a small company in the greater Chicago area. I sent him a picture like the one below with dimensions and he made stick-on stencil templates for me to use to hand paint the numbers without "going outside of the lines". He closely matched the font and spacing because he tried to match my picture. When I was done I just peeled away his stencil leaving the numbers looking hand painted with a brush (as the originals were), but perfectly done. With proper masking around the stencil, they could also be sprayed. I don't remember the name of the company or the guy (seemed like a fairly small mom and pop shop) but I'd like to use the same process on this hood. Does anybody know who I might have dealt with back then, and if they're still around? He was active in the MV hobby so hopefully somebody remembers.

-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Custom Stencils

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Any good graphics place can do that nowadays; they all have computer driven, laser guided, fancy plotters and printers. Even our little one near me can do them; I just took him a Dodge WC 63 hood and he copied it.
The letters, not the hood. The result can be used as letter stencil, or for later vehicles, stick on letters.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: Custom Stencils

Post by JAB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 am

Never thought it could be that easy. I'll try that, thanks!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”