42 GPW bumper marking ASFTC-41E

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
fort
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
42 GPW bumper marking ASFTC-41E

Post by fort » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:10 am

Hoping someone can help piece together this information. Tried to carefully discover hood numbers and there weren't any to discover. Therefore, I want to make the bumper markings per my father-in-laws engineering unit that was in Liberia in the Army Engineers in WWII. We have all of his records - letters written home, etc. One of his most notable projects was to finish an airport called Roberts Field started by Pan Am - Pan Am was ordered to leave because it was too dangerous. According to discharge papers he was in Liberia from June 1942-Feb 1943. Then was in Corsica until March 1944. His unit was an all black construction unit. My father-in-law was white - he was the Captain. His helmet now resides in the jeep. His Commander was shot one night by one of his own guys with probably what we call PTSD today. Father-in-law passed away July 31, 2017 at 98 years old. Both of these gentlemen's dog tags will be on the key chain. We have pictures of vehicles they were using at the time. The passenger side front bumper on one of the vehicles shows A-13, another vehicle shows A-5 on the driver side rear bumper. The rear bumper driver side of one vehicle shows ASFTC. He was in the 41st Engineer GS Regiment. Could someone decode the rest of that or refer me to someone that can explain what this means? Any help would be forever appreciated.

Farrell Fox
banned
Re: 42 GPW bumper marking ASFTC-41E

Post by Farrell Fox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

fort
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: 42 GPW bumper marking ASFTC-41E

Post by fort » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 am

Thank you for the reply some of the pic,s could be state side some are Africa by what looks like rubber trees we will want to mark this GPW bumper per his unit in Liberia building Roberts airport

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”