t84 issues

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
t84 issues

Post by 101son » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Need someone in colorado who knows t84 transmissions, or someone I can ship this to. The transmission was easy to put into first and reverse and third but popped out of second. I had it torn into by someone and now it is difficult to put in all gears and still pops out of second although not as bad but what difference does that make if you cant get it into gear. Anyhow can anyone help? Thanks,

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: t84 issues

Post by dinof » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 am

Lets get some more info....Are you able to confirm that the clutch system is good AND the clutch is adjusted properly?
For starters with that, take off the inspection window on the bell housing and with the jeep running at idle, push the clutch in and watch the clutch plate. Did it stop?

Now to the T-84. Many things can cause all the problems you are having. I can bore you with these, but no one here can tell you excatly what it is.
It boils down to 2 things you can do:
1. Pull it out and do it yourself. You can follow John Barton's tutorial here on the G, AND get assistance from us here. There are many here that can help. You need the TM also for more help in-between all this. Are you able to post a video here and /or pictures when the need arises?

2. Take it to someone that can fix it right.

I don't know who is near you in Colorado, I have only heard of 2 people that do T-84's. One is Jimmy Strauss Jeeps, in No. California and Herm the overdrive guy in Washington. I have never dealt with either, but it appears that Jimmy Strauss deals more with our era of jeeps.

There is a friendly gent here named Alan that lives in Colorado under the username Tamanalan, that lives in Colorado. Maybe he will know of someone in your state.

Dino
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am

Do NOT pull it yet...

Start with eliminating any linkage issues as Dino has suggested....and THEN...

There are a ton of T-84 posts and you should read up and then go no further than removing the shift cane and the tower and with them, plus the you tube videos linked in those threads, you can do a little diagnosis on your own and report what you find along with some pics...

You need to define what "had someone tore into it" means....what they did, what they replaced and what they thought "the problem" was and what their "solution" was.

Maybe you get luck with the linkage not adjusted correctly, maybe on reassembly something was left out or incorrectly put back in....heck, you say you can't get it into any gear easily now....does that mean when idling, when driving or with the engine off?

Do some detective work FIRST by reading and then checking out the linkage and then the internals with it in the jeep.

Last resort is having it completely rebuilt....which along with the shipping both ways to whomever does the work will be costly....
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Lew Ladwig » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

I am in Colorado. These are fairly simple and we have good details on how to build these. Where are you located?
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
BSA Crew 42 Advisor, 9th ID reenactors
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's
1-'45 gpw in full resto mode

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Im in Alamosa. Thanks for the info I will do some investigating