Wheel Studs Stuck

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
scheinerj
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Wheel Studs Stuck

Post by scheinerj » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Anyone have any advice for removing a stuck wheel stud? All of the studs are stuck on all 4 hubs I have....
I have put the nut on and hit it with a big hammer, and also a sledge and that didnt even get it off.

The only thing I can think of doing is having them pressed out (which I would need to take somewhere to get done).

A follow up question would be, can I have the brakes turned without removing the hubs?

orione6a
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Wheel Studs Stuck

Post by orione6a » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 pm

I just got through doing just this. I used an 8 ton press. I tried the hammer route initially, but they wouldn't budge. Also, when using the press, make sure you back the studs with an impact socket or something to support the drum. I failed to realize just how much pressure was needed, and just how little pressure it takes to distort the drum.
Harbour freight has some pretty reasonable presses. You might want to look into one if you can't find one to borrow.

Kris

1942GPW
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by 1942GPW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 pm

The wheel studs are swaged in place. If you force them out, you may cause damage to the hub. I believe you should drill them out from inside the drum, then push the remains if the stud outward.
10/7/42 Ford GPW (SN 70778)
11/42 Willys MBT (SN 13021)

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 am

John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 am

I never remove them unless they are broken or damaged. And then I use a 20 ton press; as stated, the back has to be supported.
I turn drums on my lathe, with the hub attached. Not a brake lathe, a regular machine lathe.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”