Steering wheel that doesn't want to come off

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
DrPhil
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Steering wheel that doesn't want to come off

Post by DrPhil » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi all,

I have searched this forum but can't find an answer to the problem I'm currently having.

The steering wheel on my '42 GPW has decided it doesn't want to come off. The horn button and nut are off okay, and the wheel spins quite freely, but it just won't budge from the steering column.

WD40 has been poured down the side, but no luck. Any hints?

Gary Linger
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Steering wheel that doesn't want to come off

Post by Gary Linger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 am

My steering wheel on my '44 MB didn't want to come off either after using a lot of penetrating oil. I took a small block of wood and very carefully began tapping with a hammer on the wood (wood against the 'rim' of the wheel) going around it until it began to move. Take your time and be careful not to put too much pressure so the metal is not deformed.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 am

I used PB Blaster on mine for a few days, then used a puller to get the wheel itself off of the shaft. Be patient; it will feel like it won't budge as you exert more pressure on it, but it should eventually break free.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 am

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/stee ... 31302.html

The secret with anything like this removal, is shock.
There are many methods using just hardwood without the metal puller & they can be easily fabricated.
A piece of hardwood or flat plate needs to be used to protect the thread from being damaged....just start a centred drill to get a detent in whatever one chooses.

Load the centre puller screw on this detent & load the screw up by tightening enough to not damage anything.

Strike the screw hard & squarely then the wheel will just pop off.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Jeff H
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Jeff H » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 pm

A puller that won't create damage will help.

This new freezing penetrating oil works wonders http://www.crcindustries.com/products/f ... 05002.html
Attachments
puller.JPG
puller.JPG (106.21 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:14 am

I have a home made rig I made using a puller , like a vibration damper puller.
I have three home made "J" bolts that go in the puller and hook over the three steering wheel spokes.
Leave the nut screwed on the steering shaft so it is loose and flush with the end of the shaft so you don't screw up the threads. I also put a thick metal disc between the puller screw and steering shaft end, for the same reason.
Tighten the puller up and if it doesn't pop off, hit the end of the puller screw with a hammer. That usually brings the wheel to it's milk. A farmer term. 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:55 am

:wink: Sadly...I usually start off with a rubber hammer underneath till I tire or the hammer slips and passes through the wheel to hit me in the head... :oops: , then switch to a puller and screw up the threads even after leaving the nut on or taking every bit of precaution I can :oops: , then I use a cutting wheel to make a cut in the hub to try and relieve it, followed by pulling with all my might until it snaps off and hits me square in the head..... :oops:
Then i have to try and fix the darn threads so the nut will fit. I never did fix my Ford 8N tractors threads, just used tape and rust :idea: on it to keep the wheel in place.
V/R W Winget
PS: can you believe I snapped one of those US Army wheel pullers (shown above) in half...clean through, surprised me when that happened. :shock:
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 am

There are some GI MV Tools that are almost a "MUST" to have even if it is only used just once. The GI issue Steering Wheel puller illustrated is one of them.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 am

How is your head, W.W. ??
You could get some good bragging rights from all of those dings ! :lol:
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 am

I have also resorted to a torch....not a pretty operation. :evil:
The military steering wheel adapter (shown in post above) didn't have a part designed for the WWII vehicle, it came with (I recall) two maybe three inserts, for things ranging from M151's to Deuce and 5 Tons, but the design of the WWII jeep was different, so you are on your own for some adapters (as shown by Octagon adapter there)
W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 am

WWII thru M-Series will do the Job. On the adaptor for the MB Shaft I cut a groove for the horn Wire to rest in. Been doing it this way with the WWII tool since the 50's,works fine for me.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 am

Breaking tools such as this most likely has something to do with not using properly. The screw just needs loading up, not just keep screwing until things break.
Once loaded up a good whack on the tool screw head end with a 2# will usually get things popping
John wrote:The secret with anything like this removal, is shock.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

DrPhil
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by DrPhil » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 am

Thanks for the responses folks. Some great suggestions here which I will try and get back to you.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”