Repro Sector shaft problems, now with banging noise!

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
artificer
banned

Re: Repro Sector shaft problems, now with banging noise!

Post by artificer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 am

Check your PM's....Joel & I often agree.
Therein lies the reason there is no need to comment on many of his 'numerous' posts.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 am

WO- 639090/639091 OEM Bushings always need to be reamed to size after being installed regardless of the fact that they may slide onto the shaft before installation. OEM bushings as supplied by Ross are a split bushing.
Note the grooves that are a necessary feature of the bushing, and the reason one groove is not all the way across, also that one bushing is shorter.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Greendot319
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Greendot319 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:00 am

Just as a follow up for anyone using the search function in future. Bushings replaced, play removed and the knocking has gone, just smooth steering with no lost motion. Very pleased to have looked into it and sorted it out,
cheers
Matt
Better rough than Repro

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:46 am

Glad to hear your banging has gone away, however, I too would be interested to know how long sintered bronze bushings will last.
1) the original inner (first) bushing had an "oil groove" all the way through to oil the second one
2) the original outer (second) bushing "oil groove" did not go all the way through to the oil seal for obvious reasons.
3) while a sintered bronze bushing will oil the shaft it rides on due to its exposure to the oil bath in the steering box, it is not designed to pass oil through to lubricate the second bushing enough. As soon as the initial lubrication you bathed them both in prior to installation is gone, the second bushing will receive insufficient lubrication since that was the whole purpose of using the bushings with oil grooves in them. If sintered bronze was going to do the job, then they'd have used it...it does the job in the flywheel so its not like they didn't know what a sintered bronze bushing can/should be used for.
4) reaming is necessary for a good snug fit and the oil grooves still allow for proper lubrication of BOTH bushings.
5) sintered bronze bushings that are tight enough to prevent wobble when flexed in your hand, may unfortunately, allow the vibrations from the road to be transmitted through the tie rods, the bellcrank, the draglink and the pitman arm to the second bushing which is now going to get less lubrication than the factory design apparently called for. It is the second bushing that gets this "wobble" effect and will incur wear the fastest.
6) equally important in solving a wobble up front is a pitman arm and bellcrank that have ROUND, not oblong "balls" on them and correctly tightened draglink plugs. My jeep had a distinct 4" plus play in the steering wheel when stopped....I did not rebuild the steering box, but I did find a lot of "slop" in the draglink which turned out to be a broken spring in one end. An overhaul kit from Ron and a proper set up of the steering box adjuster pretty much brought that steering wheel movement back to spec.

Maybe this fix will be good for 5,000 miles or 10,000 miles. Maybe it will be exacerbated by driving on rough surfaced roads. Maybe it will be OK. I just don't think I would want to be the test vehicle to try out something just because it was touted as "OK" when your jeep probably got 25,000 to 50,000 miles in its lifetime before the leaking and loose steering (in this case banging?) got someone to address the problem.

"New and Improved" often isn't....

Just sayin'.....
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

irakli
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by irakli » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 am

Today I was rebuilding steering box and discovered that there is the hole in the housing intended to pass oil to the outer bushing. Either oil groove on the inner bushing was not sufficient to pass oil or original bushings did not have grooves?
1944 Willys MB
1978 VOLVO TGB 1111

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”