Bleeding brakes on my Dec. 1941 Slat Grill

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
mgizinski
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Bleeding brakes on my Dec. 1941 Slat Grill

Post by mgizinski » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am

I'm ready to bleed my brakes. I purchased a vacuum bleed pump from Harbor Freight. Do I still need to depress the brake pedal when using this or do I just fill the master cylinder with brake fluid and draw it through with the vacuum pump? Thanks for any help.

Michael

packer
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Bleeding brakes on my Dec. 1941 Slat Grill

Post by packer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi no the vacuum unit will pull out the fluid from the master cylinder , start at the farthest point from the master cylinder , and keep the master cylinder full,, all the best colin

artificer
banned

Re: Bleeding brakes on my Dec. 1941 Slat Grill

Post by artificer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Don't touch the pedal.
Be aware that the vacuum pump you bought is not equivalent to the 'old AC fuel pump' recommended in the following link but it may do the job provided the bleeder is not drawing air around it's thread. Note how to seal this possible leak & keep the master cylinder filled.
http://jeepdraw.com/images/HOW%20to%20B ... LEEDER.pdf
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”