Transmission Rebuild Concerns

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
bazookajoe
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Transmission Rebuild Concerns

Post by bazookajoe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Just finished rebuild on a'42 GPW trans and replaced all the internals, had a little glitch during assembly but was helped out by Scott. Syncro in backwards, my fault, other than that i replaced all the parts in the T-84 and everything fit beautifully. I had done a resto on the jeep 5 years ago but did little to the tranny/transfer, so it made excessive gear noise and i wanted it quiet, success. Now when i took it down the road the throwout bearing was squealing,which i found hard to believe as there was only 75 miles on the one i had put in during the resto. I noticed it was turning all the time as i took it for a ride with the bell housing inspection cover off. There is a youtube video of the exact problem and you can hear the noise clearly. The takeaway from this, after a new bearing is installed make sure its not turning when the engine is running and the clutch is out otherwise you'll have to pull the tranny out again. I pulled mine out the bottom with a fabricated tranny jack...piece of cake. I also strongly suggest you get your parts from Ron or Scott, high quality, and tech to back it up for your inevitable questions. I'm not bashing any other dealers at all, but i think they are motivated to truly help you with your jeep problems.

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Transmission Rebuild Concerns

Post by dinof » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Good to hear you rebuilt it with no problems, except for the T/O bearing situation. A know this is a bit much to ask, but can you tell us what parts you bought from Ron for the Transmission work you did? Just curious. Do you know if any of the parts are made from Crown? There has been some negative thoughts on Crown brand parts & some positive ones.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:22 pm

I buy all my parts (Unless it is a Dodge part) from Ron Fitzpatrick and they are all fine. And after all, you are using this forum to ask all these questions for free and Ron is paying for you to be able to do that. If you have an issue with a part, then call him.
And I rebuilt a GPW transmission using parts from Ron. No issues.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

bazookajoe

Post by bazookajoe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 am

I replaced everything in the tranny and the roller needle bearings int the transfer case,and it runs quietly now. As far as to whom the supplier is you could call them and ask, but i am positive if any parts were even thought to be suspect in quality they wouldn't carry them. It just makes bad business sense.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 am

It would seem to me that if the T/O bearing was turning all the time that the clutch linkage was incorrectly adjusted so that there was some pull on it that pushed the T/O forward enough to make contact with the pressure plate fingers.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

bazookajoe

Post by bazookajoe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 pm

You are exactly right Chuck, my fault entirely and from now on after doing a resto i will leave the inspection cover off of the bell housing so i can make sure that it is disengaged.

fernando mendes
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by fernando mendes » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 am

1991_1_.jpg
1991_1_.jpg (226.09 KiB) Viewed 490 times
Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 am

It would seem to me that if the T/O bearing was turning all the time that the clutch linkage was incorrectly adjusted so that there was some pull on it that pushed the T/O forward enough to make contact with the pressure plate fingers.
Jeep Willys MB DoD dec,16 1942 s/n:196275
Dodge B3-B 4x2 1952 s/n:90099559
CCKW 353 Banjo 1944 s/n:309623

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”