T-84 Input Shaft - thrusting problem

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
privatebrian
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: T-84 Input Shaft - thrusting problem

Post by privatebrian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am

I did find snap rings for sale from G. L. Huyett in Kansas, they are 2mm thick (0.0787") and are only $0.94 each, but there is a $10 fee for small orders. Part Number DSW-072.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 pm

I buy the "sealed both sides" front/rear bearings and swap out the new snap ring on the front bearing with an old reliable one from an original Federal 1207 bearing.

Here are good options for the front and the rear bearings:

6207-NR-2S Koyo or Nachi

6307-2RS Koyo or Nachi
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Brian-maybe you have answered this already but, if you put the 2 shafts together, and installed them with the bearing retainer on, and a clamp or something else to hold the back bearing tight in the transmission, and then observed what would happen when you spin the two shafts. Do they bind? or do they spin with no problem so to put this "threading" problem to rest. I thought that is was peculiar that the shafts will do this in your hands, but I ignored it as being something that will work differently when assembled and in place. When I assembled my trans the "threading" must of gone away because it works fine now.

Just remember that the last needle to be put in the input shaft, must be put in like a keyway. If you can just push it down into the spot, the needles are suspect or the input shaft is suspect.

By the way, what was wrong with the transmission?????
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

privatebrian
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by privatebrian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:31 am

When everything is installed in the transmission case, retaining cap on tight, and rear bearing held tight, I have binding of the blocking rings when in neutral. The stickiness varies around the 360 deg rotation. That lead me to observe that the front bearing was moving, forward as the shaft is turned. Trying to isolate the condition, I removed everything and duplicated it with just the two shafts and bearings in play.

My needle bearings also require that the last one can only go in "like a keystone", pressed against the bore wall, and when all 13 are in place they can not fall out toward the center, only out the end.

Thanks Dino

privatebrian
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: T-84 Input Shaft - thrusting problem-SOLVED

Post by privatebrian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:09 am

I decided to replace the input shaft and bought a new one from rfjp - when the needle bearings went in, I could immediately feel there was more room for them to move/spin. The "old" input shaft (new repro from unknown vendor) had too tight a bore. When assembled with the new input shaft, 99% of the thrusting went away. The shaft still tried to move a little bit laterally, but was easily overcome by the front bearing being held in place with the retaining ring. I replaced the ring with a 2mm (0.0787") thick one from GL Huyett, which also helped.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Brian

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:52 am

Good job Brian on keeping with it and solving it. Thanks for the update as this situation is being learned by many here watching this solution to a problem. Another "bad repo parts being made again" scenario.

A word of advice: Only replace what's bad and keep the rest that is still good.

Dino
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”