Fuel issue

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Fuel issue

Post by Daren » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am

Hello all you fantastic people,
I am at the stage of trying to get the jeep running. I have connected all the new fuel lines (metal) pre filled the fuel strainer. 20ltr of fuel in the tank. Turned engine over for about 3 min and nothing. Fuel just does not appear to be moving anywhere. I was getting small bubbles in the bowl from the outlet to carb. I have removed and checked the fuel pump manually and can get it to pump fuel but when it's in the engine it just not want to play ball. The fuel pump is the only thing I haven't rebuilt, but it was working fine and it pumps manually, quite well. I don't have a gauge to measure the pressure. Am I doing anything wrong or could it just be that the fuel pump is too tied to draw fuel from the tank after being sat for a long while?
Kindest regards
Faren
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Fuel issue

Post by Ralph » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:14 am

Faren,
First,confirm that you have spark.Use your favorite method...if you are good there,leave IGN OFF, remove fuel line at carb inlet.Put a clear plastic jug over the end to catch fuel.Crank,IGN OFF...
If you get healthy spurts,fuel pump is delivering and it's possible that the carb's needle valve is stuck.
Sometimes you can give the carb a rap with a screwdriver handle at the point where the fuel line enters the bowl cover- before trying any of the above.
Ralph

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi Ralph, the issue at the moment is that the fuel isn't reaching the fuel pump even though it appears to pump when operated manually.
I was toying on the idea of fitting a secondary electric fuel pump near the fuel tank, which would also help with starting when the jeep had been stood for a while. Has anyone carried out this type of mod?
Regards
Daren
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Daren,
I assumed when you said bubbles...you had fuel at the pump...does it start/run-even for a few seconds-when a little fuel is poured into the carb?
It sounds like a large air leak in the fuel system unless you are correct about the pump being inefficient.
You will need to eventually fix the normal fuel delivery system.The electric pump seems like a rather busy way to approach the problem.The fuel pump's certainly suspicious at this point.
Ralph

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes I have that setup on my 67 WM300. The fuel pump started getting weak, I thought, so I installed an electric one in line; works great now except for the ticking noise it makes. But I know I always have fuel to the carb. I left the mechanical pump in place. It's actually hot wired to the battery and some day I will/might install a switch for it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:03 am

Hi Ralph,
I haven't tried putting fuel directly in the carb as I was first trying to get the fuel to the carb by the normal method. I think that the fuel pump is at issue so will buy a kit for it and then try again.
Still thinking about an electric pump for start up and emergency use.
Must be a reason they changed to that electrickery witchcraft.
Regards
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:11 am

The bubbles may be air due to a reused fuel bowl gasket or reused bowl gasket for the T-2 Fuel Filter. These gaskets are normally a one time use. Best to stock extras. There is little reason to ever remove a fuel pump bowl gasket. There is also no need to prime the AC T-2 Filter. If your fuel lines and gaskets are sealing, initial fuel pick up is near instantaneous.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:10 am

Daren,
Understood...what Ben said is important to remember as you go through everything.
Once I had a fuel pump with check valves eaten through by ethanol/water rot.All it would pump was a little air into the carb.
Also once a wartime pump had the wrong actuator/lever-I think one for a CCKW...it didn't touch the camshaft on the L-134.
I think you were pretty certain of the correct application though.
Let us know how it comes out.
Ralph

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:11 am

Daren,
Understood...what Ben said is important to remember as you go through everything.
Once I had a fuel pump with check valves eaten through by ethanol/water rot.All it would pump was a little air into the carb.
Also once a wartime pump had the wrong actuator/lever-I think one for a CCKW...it didn't touch the camshaft on the L-134.
I think you were pretty certain of the correct application though.
Let us know how it comes out.
Ralph

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 am

Hi, I am staying clear of the fuel system as I think I will buy the kit and rebuild it before carrying on with the start up.
Been busy bleeding the brakes (loads of leaks at first as I hadn't nipped up the unions tight enough.) All bled now.
Regards
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:04 am

Getting the jeep to fire up is like the arcade game "Whack-A-Mole"....guys jump from one suspected issue to another without running down the first one. As the guys have suggested, why NOT remove the air horn and dribble an ounce or two of gas into the carb and hit the starter to see if you get anything. If it fires up even momentarily, you then know it might just be the fuel pump as you suspect.....however, as artificer often comments (and in this situation I think we all agree) just swapping parts you have to PURCHASE is neither practical nor is it financially responsible....save your money for something that is found to be the problem.

Look at it this way; you rebuild the pump ad problem persists. Then what?

Keep checking the electrical possibilities as there are a few of those to run down. There are scads of threads on those issues you can read and then check off the list BEFORE tearing anything apart and certainly before you start ordering parts.

Start with the fuel line check into a plastic jug (ignition off) and cranking the starter as suggested...got gas? OK, that pump ain't the problem. By the way, a pic of the pump and any numbers on it would go a long way to telling if it is the issue...but...a perforated diaphragm in it is dangerous in that gas may end up in the crank case so pull the dipstick and smell check it and check the level...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”