How Can I Straighten a Bent Pintle Brace

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
RLConrad
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

How Can I Straighten a Bent Pintle Brace

Post by RLConrad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:39 pm

While backing my GPW and trailer into the garage, the trailer lunette got bound in the pintle. The resulting force bent the pintle to frame brace so that the pintle is no longer square. How can I straighten the brace without having to disassemble the vehicle?

1943 Ford GPW (GPW--98137*)
1947 Bantam T3-C (14367)

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: How Can I Straighten a Bent Pintle Brace

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:49 pm

You would need to heat the metal and bend it when red-hot. Then attempt to re-weld the broken welds in the photos. Unless there is a very good reason to do this, why not fabricate some shims for each of the two holes in the plate to get the pintle to stand off at a 90 degree angle like it was and forget about rebuilding the K brace on the jeep?

Since this real repair might entail removing the tub, the short cut may be more appealing and since the structural integrity of the K brace and the plate do not seem compromised, you should now sweat towing your trailer with just shims installed and the broken welds re-welded.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Jeep Fun
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Jeep Fun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

RLConrad wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:39 pm
How can I straighten the brace without having to disassemble the vehicle?
I would pull it back into shape by applying force in reverse of what caused the damage. Since you probably don't want to use the pintle hitch to pry with for fear of breaking it, you might fabricate a simple 1/4" steel plate to pull with. As mentioned if you have access to an oxy torch that would be the best way to get the metal to yield while pulling back into shape. Then weld the broken welds back up and your good to go.
Ed Fallon

GPW 1943 91901 DOD 1-8-43 restoration in progress

m3bobby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by m3bobby » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 am

I was just thinking what I would do so this may not be the best thing but I would be temped to remove the front and back plates and get some nice straight replacements. This would basically make the thickness to straighten go from 8mm to 2.5mm approx. Then I think would try pulling the remaining part out to straighten it. As the steel is only about 2.5mm thick it should move quite easily and even easier with heat. You could maybe fabricate a bracket to bolt into the holes on the bent side, chain it to a bollard and in 4 wheel drive, gently move forward. Then refit/weld the new front and back plates to tidy up.

I've never tried this but it maybe worth a try if all else fails. I've always liked a bit of trial and error.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 am

I would just hammer it back out. Sometimes in situations like something like a brass or steel rod to hammer against enables you to hit it in just the right spots, especially corners.
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

ghiltgen
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by ghiltgen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 pm

I would grid off the welds and remove the plates and if they cant be straightened then replace them. Your best chance if straightening the frame underneath is to first remove those plates. One layer of metal will be easier to pound out, rather than 3 (exterior, frame, and internal support piece. The support plate inside the frame that's welded in the center which may be hard to remove.
ghiltgen
1943 MB SN 226406
Veteran Award, Motorpool Class 2021
GPW 127386
1948 CJ2A
MVPA member 36543

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”