GPW speedometer repair? who can do?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Chuckman84
Sergeant Major of the Gee

GPW speedometer repair? who can do?

Post by Chuckman84 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:32 pm

my 45 GPW developed a glitch in the speedo at 40 mph and above- the needle bounces all around and has a grinding noise from the gage. Everything seems tight. The odometer never has worked and Ive been ok with that but the sound is awful and I sure would like for the speedo to work. Im assuming that the gage needs some love and is repairable. Who does top notch work on these units in the States? Id like to keep this one as to the best of my knowledge its original to the vehicle.

thx Chuck
83 CJ7 full-bore rock crawler
53 CJ3A farm/hunting rig
45 GPW being restored

vynx
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: GPW speedometer repair? who can do?

Post by vynx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:45 am

Have you check the speedometer cable to the transmission? Maybe is not the speedo but the cable that is almost breaking...

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:30 am

Yup...the speedo work is expensive so before you take it out, eliminate the cable as the problem.
1) remove cable
2) note how it is routed through the frame to get it back in correctly
3) note which end of the CABLE inside the sleeve goes to the speedo.
4) Look for a swaged-on disk that keeps the cable from going too far into the speedo
5) Remove cable and clean in rags and Brakekleen or some solvent
6) Once it passes through a clean rag and leaves no black greasy residue it is clean
7) spray Brakekleen into the outer sleeve holding it verticle
8) reinstall that nice clean cable now. Move it back and forth with more spray.
9) remove cable and spray cleaner into the sleeve again...repeat #7, #8, #9 until no more black liquid comes out.
10) repeat #5 & #6 and then coat the cable (not too much) with a speedometer lube from the parts house, not axle grease or motor oil
11) reinstall
12) go for a test drive.

It may or may not solve your problem but you are out a couple bucks for the lube. Be sure you route the cable back through the frame so there is no kink coming out of the T/C and going forward!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Chuckman84

Post by Chuckman84 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:54 pm

Im familiar with how to remove/clean/route the cable, but would it make the grinding noise? it literally sounds like a spun wheel bearing. its ear splitting and the gage vibrates when its happening. again, only at 40mph or faster and it was fine until a cold day when I took it out for a play in the snow and it all of sudden went crazy. I will of course do the testing on the cable, but Id still like to know who can do the speedo repair in case its needed. I'd like to get it out and back in my hands before ice cream season.
83 CJ7 full-bore rock crawler
53 CJ3A farm/hunting rig
45 GPW being restored

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 am

I heard of a fellow named keven out of Vancouver wash. this is 2nd hand info but I heard he is the go to guy and an expert in gauge repair. since I don't know him and don't know if he wants his info published, pm me.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Greendot319
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Greendot319 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 pm

Did you manage to fix this? I've been testing my Speedo and it does the same, I think it is the cable winding up and then releasing at high speeds causing a jump on the Speedo and noise, not sure though
Matt
Better rough than Repro

privatebrian
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by privatebrian » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 am

Check/google North Hollywood Speedometer Repair. I've seen pics of WWII jeep speedo's that they did and the quality was fantastic. I got a quote from them a while back, I think it was $350, which put it on the back burner for me...
Brian

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Pal » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:49 am

privatebrian wrote:Check/google North Hollywood Speedometer Repair. I've seen pics of WWII jeep speedo's that they did and the quality was fantastic. I got a quote from them a while back, I think it was $350, which put it on the back burner for me...
Brian
They no longer do WWII speedos. Check out Williamson's Instruments in Arkansas.

carl51
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by carl51 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Just spoke with a representative at North Hollywood Speedometer today, they still repair WWII jeep speedos. I had my speedo serviced for my '43 GPW several years ago, they did a fantastic job. Highly recommended.
Carl
MVPA #36317
MVCC #1762
GPW #117302 DOD 5/21/43 Louisville, KY
MB #210593 DOD 2/11/43 matching frame & body under restoration

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”