Oil Dip Stick Tube Colour?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Brett Nicholls
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Oil Dip Stick Tube Colour?

Post by Brett Nicholls » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 am

Hi Ben/nICK,

Ben - Yep I agree. I think there maybe too many questions and in the end not enough answers :o to make a complete finite picture. I enjoy the puzzle/enigma almost too much sometimes :wink: . Hopefully something will turn up in the future which will lay this question to rest either way.

Nick - Thanks for the added information. I will check my crossover tube to see if it was over painted with O.D. on top of black. Thanks again.

I re checked the photo's and also note that in Frank Breg's Pictures the black starter the has also been over sprayed at some stage of assembly with Grey paint. From memory the side casting number indicated a late war block.

Regards,
Brett.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:17 am

The Ford plant painted the engine assembly as far as the T84 in GREY paint....they maybe have touched it up several times during that process. There is NO documentation to support the contention that each of the factories "touched up" that assembly in GREY paint, if you have something to substantiate that please post it.

If the various factories DID have GREY paint, why isn't ANYTHING else (like the T18 for instance?) painted GREY?

The air cleaner crossover tube was not put on at the engine plant, it was put on when the jeep was assembled. They were BLACK early on and at some point they were installed in OD so that isn't relevant either.

We have those 1944 and 1945 motors in the box that have GREY filler tubes.

We have jeeps released from Army service after HOW many years of service? They have been found with grey paint over OD which might have come from the engine factory or they have been found with OD paint which might mean they were removed from Willys MBs and the Aussie Army was out of GREY paint that day.

I don't think anyone restoring a GPW should contemplate painting the filler tube OD just yet...

As far as Frank's replacement motor....as per Tom W. those may have been assembled in a completely DIFFERENT building under completely different conditions that those destined for the individual plants. Apples and oranges...

Frank's motor pics also show the HEAD is bolted on with HEX CAP screws and STUDS....I would imagine that since Willys made that change in April of 1943 that at SOME point in the ensuing year and seven months that Ford made the change as well but I may have that wrong.

What I am saying is the Tony Sudds Motor in that photo isn't exactly what was rolling off the line and that should be remembered when comparing to a motor in a jeep after long service in the Army.

Strange things do happen....like T84 cases with the FORD casting info on them showing up in factory built MBs...but those were vetted by Tom W. also after he found documentation in the Benson Archives that detailed that happening.

What happened in the motorpool, who knows.....but I believe it is possible that Ford assembled GPW motors and used OD painted filler tubes....but they would have painted them OD..... maybe something will show up some day that makes this a bit clearer though...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:44 am

I purchased 10 GPW engine assemblies from a local source many years ago. These engines had been in storage there since this company purchased bulk loads of military vehicle surplus back in 1946. These engines were not NOS and were pulled from previously operational vehicles. Although covered in many years of dirt and grime, they still retained much of their finish. In the disassembly process I removed many oil filler tubes...both early and late. I do not recall any of them having been painted OD. They were all grey. I would have noted if I discovered anything out of the ordinary.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:59 am

How about the correct factory color on the engine of a GPA ?
Just curious, because I came by chance on the picture of a restored GPA, and the tube is OD.
Maybe a mistake, or maybe it is not true that all of the engines were painted in gray after assembly of all their components?

If Tom is reading this, I would love to see his answer.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 am

The GPA was only produced from September1942 to May1943 as I far as I know the oil fill tube was always Ford grey.

As far as the Ford GPW having OD oil filler pipes, could the filler pipes originated from Willys; as I recall the MB engine was OD. I have not checked my filler tube, but weren't they supposed to have an F-script on it somewhere. If so, I would check to see if the OD tubes have the script F on them.

Just a thought.

Donovan.
GPA 11374

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:45 am

The oil fill tube in some of the pics could have been changed when the closed crankcase PCV system was added to an older production engine. Just a guess, but it would account for a different color tube.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Brett Nicholls
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Brett Nicholls » Tue May 17, 2016 4:26 am

Hi All,
It's taken a while but I have found another 1945 GPW which has the OD dipstick tube. I noticed the Jeep advertised on Ebay and because it is close in number to mine I has a closer look. The owner started to restore it however hasn't started on the motor. Please see the pictures....
Attachments
s-l1600 (4) C.jpg
s-l1600 (4) C.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 326 times
s-l1600a C.jpg
s-l1600a C.jpg (98.63 KiB) Viewed 326 times
s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg (233.93 KiB) Viewed 326 times

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:20 am

I'm bringing this post back up (the same photo was in the bond strap thread, but I didn't want to get it off topic). The June 1943 photo of the GPW factory photo shows what appears to be a non-gray accelerator bracket on the back of the block. I think the 'Colours and Finishes' page of the JeepDraw only lists grey, but I did see an OD bracket on a GPW engine. Does anyone know when the change occurred? It seems the later ones turn up with the OD bracket.

I'm an early GPW guy, but would like to know if there is an answer on this topic.
Old GPW.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”