Liner removal

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
17f
G-Civilian
Liner removal

Post by 17f » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I have a Jerry can that I want to restore for everyday use. Its very solid, however the original tan liner in it has come off in spots and is bubbling in others. I want to strip it completely out so it doesn`t contaminate the fuel. Iv`e seen other threads on rust removal, but i don`t recall / can`t find anything on removing the original liner. Anybody have any success with a particular product or process? Thanks!

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Liner removal

Post by Ez8 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:44 am

If you can find a place that does electrolytic stripping (basically, dunking the can in electrolyte solution and shooting electricity through it) I reckon that'd do it. I bet a radiator shop could clean it out for you as well. Any place near you that refurbishes fuel tanks could likely help you out. Most big cities will have a place that does that kind of work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=209632

Cyclefreak13
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: Liner removal

Post by Cyclefreak13 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:16 am

I had to remove tank liner from a motorcycle tank. I just used deck screws thrown inside. I then wrapped the tank up in heavy blanket and placed it in my dryer, stuffed some towels in around it to hold it firm to the drum so it wouldn't bounce around. Ran it on cold and let it tumble for an hour. It got most of the liner out and I was able to reline the tank after that.
Devin

1943 Converto 0650749
1945 MB 407114
G519 (Replica)
The G.I. Bike
Cushman 34 G679

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”