WTB: WWII Tanker Helmet for X-Mas Gift

Living History / Reenacting uniforms, field gear, and equiptment, Wanted, For Sale (NO EBAY ITEMS) or Trade.
uglyjeep
Sergeant Major of the Gee

WTB: WWII Tanker Helmet for X-Mas Gift

Post by uglyjeep » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 am

Hello,

I am looking for a WWII M1938 tanker helmet for my son for Christmas. He is 11, but he has fun collecting militaria, and is eager to get into reenacting someday, and this is one thing on his list. We need one that sizes up to 7-3/4, but I am not sure if these helmets only came in one size and were adjustable. I probably can't afford an original, and I am sure that he'd be equally thrilled with a reproduction piece.

Please send me a message if you can help me out, or if you can recommend a good place to find one.

I also have some MB, GPW, and early CJ-2A parts, in case you fancy a trade. PM me with what you might be looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Daniel

chibobber
Re: WTB: WWII Tanker Helmet for X-Mas Gift

Post by chibobber » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 am

Check e-bay and What Price Glory. Prices are all over the place. WPG is over seas.I have had good luck getting their items

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:36 pm

M38 tanker helmets are not adjustable in size so you can't just grab the first one you find unfortunately. Big sizes and some rare manufacturers are more expensive. New reproductions are being made though and be aware of the post-WW2 European tanker helmets that are similar but not identical to the M38; the easiest difference to see is that these used crossed elastic straps to hold the earphones while the M38 has a metal spring bar.

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by OLDABEWLA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:43 pm

For $120 you can get your size of 7" 3/4" I wouldn't buy a original to do future reenactments because of the 75 years old leather won't hold up to any light use very well and fall apart.

For his birthday you'll have to get him a set of resistal goggles! I see a pattern comming!

I've been picking up some of this original WWII tanker stuff for my WWII Harley WLA dispatch rider display and it isn't a cheap display.

Craig
☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:01 am

Tip: remove the white felt padding under the leather and you can get another 1/4" out of the stamped head size. A nice 7-3/4 will run some $$$ from anyone that knows what it is. WPG repros are a good alternative in my opinion. Originals in NOS shape are not that rare (in part thanks to Hayes O's lucky encounter in India) but prices have been creeping up.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Wanted, For Sale”