2nd Army items

Living History / Reenacting uniforms, field gear, and equiptment, Wanted, For Sale (NO EBAY ITEMS) or Trade.
lt.luke
G-General
G-General

2nd Army items

Post by lt.luke » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:29 am

All, I'm looking for 2nd US Army items. Distinguished Unit Insignia, patches, photos etc. Era is not terribly important, although if known, I'd like to know that too.

Also, if any of you have SERVED in 2nd Army, let me know that too.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: 2nd Army items

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:55 pm

I have an original 2nd Army RANGER HANDBOOK from Camp Forrest Tennessee dated 1943 along with the Diploma for graduating the course. Not for sale tho.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Ok, understanding it's not for sale, could I get a photo? Where was "Camp Forrest"? If I was a betting man, it was in my hometown.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Camp Forrest was one the largest US Army Posts in area during WWII, and may have been the largest, it was located in Tullahoma, TN present site for the Arnold Air Force Station. It was rapidly built up during WWII and was closed and torn down immediately after WWII. It is named after Nathan Bedford Forrest. The 2Nd Army Ranger School was formed there during WWII, my Uncle Joe who raised me volunteered for the assignment and was part of the Cadre for the new school, after the first few classes went thru, the Cadre became Students. Some training was realistic, night patrols to follow the scent of moonshine along dry stream beds and sneak up to the still was a part of the training, the moonshiners were usually armed.
The handnbook is approx 11" X15" in size, 2" thick and held together by clasps. The Ranger Dept at Ft Benning was interested in a copy but could not assure a trained archivist would handle it. Uncle Joe was assigned to the 28th and 106th Divisions to lead patrols and harrass the Germans. He crossed the Siegfried Line several weeks before the actual battle, no gruesome war stories were ever told, he did mention that used a Springfield to fire at a German sunning himself on a pillbox a quarter mile away and that the soldier got up in a hurry, of using "mud packs' to damage enemy structures and that he fired the 2.36 Bazooka at enemy tanks. On New years Day 1966 he reminded me that 21 years before on New Years Day 1945 he was a POW in a cold German warehouse giving dead German soldiers a head two arms and two legs in order to bury them whole. Uncle Joe passed away in 1966.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your uncle's passing, even if it was some time ago. Tullahoma is fairly near where I grew up, but not my hometown. Still, you rarely hear of lots of the operations like Camp Forrest. I'm very well aware of Forrest and his activities during the Civil War. He was in and through my home town quite a bit during the Civil War, culminating with of of the largest Naval Battles in history when his troops and specifically his Artillerymen under CPT Morton bombarded the Federal supply dumps on the opposite side of the TN River in Johnsonville. Forrest's men were on what is known as Pilot's Knob in the NB Forrest State Park. His men retreated for (if memory serves) about two miles by the light of the burning supplies and boats he destroyed at Johnsonville.

Johnsonville and the surrounding area of the TN River now is the resting place of the most Naval Vessels sunk during a single battle.

I would very much like to see a copy of the book. I am currently in US Army Cyber Command, which carries with it the historical lineage of 2nd US Army. We will be having some events in the upcoming months, and if there is anyone in the MD/NOVA/DC area who is a vetran of 2nd Army, let me know. There is a possibility that my CG will want to recognize 2nd Army Vets at an event.

I would like some of the items for my personal collection, as well as potentially to put together a display for donation to the unit.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:35 pm

I'll try to find his diploma to color copy. Bud Werner is a walking encyclopedia in regards to Camp Forrest. The Arnold AF Station has some general information. I donated some items pertaining to Camp Forrest to Russ Jones' Ft Economy Museum in Ohio.
I also have a 37MM souvenier brass shell that was used during a firepower demonstration involving cannon armed P-39 and B-25 at Camp Forrest in fall of 1943.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 am

Cool!

BillyClanton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by BillyClanton » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:50 am

I've got a pennant observing the "Tennessee Maneuvers" that were held, I think, at Camp Forrest. Got a good friend that lives in Tullahoma. That is also where Gen. Forests surgeon, Dr, Cowan was from. I own a pair of binoculars that were gotten from his family about 70 years ago, and, supposedly, belonged to him.
Billy
Sold everything due to depression and sickness. Plus a lack of help(they all dying)
MVPA member #31386 (former MVCC member)

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:07 am

I have an old felt pennant that says:

"Camp Forrest"
"Tullahoma, Tenn."

Nearest the broad end of the pennant is a multi color eagle logo. The felt was originally blue (the back still is), but has sun faded to a medium grey. Along the left edge (broad end) is a yellow felt edging. Near the right end (the narrow tip), there is evidence of it having been stapled to something. There is no rust staining or tearing, just the indication of the staple. I'll try to get a picture of it up soon. Any interest?
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:26 pm

retro-roco wrote:I have an old felt pennant that says:

"Camp Forrest"
"Tullahoma, Tenn."

Nearest the broad end of the pennant is a multi color eagle logo. The felt was originally blue (the back still is), but has sun faded to a medium grey. Along the left edge (broad end) is a yellow felt edging. Near the right end (the narrow tip), there is evidence of it having been stapled to something. There is no rust staining or tearing, just the indication of the staple. I'll try to get a picture of it up soon. Any interest?
Maybe I am. I'd like to see the photo first. Thanks!

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:43 pm

retro-roco wrote:I have an old felt pennant that says:

"Camp Forrest"
"Tullahoma, Tenn."

Did you ever get a photo of this?

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Luke,

The following National Archives photos are very cool images from the short-lived 2nd Army Camp Forrest Ranger School.

* RG111-SC-C3441(in color) -- Three soldiers firing from the hip during assault training

* RG111-SC-168644 (B&W) -- Instructor LT (100th ID) thrusts his M1918 trench knife into his "victim". Excellent shot of the "INSTRUCTOR- Ranger School" arm band.

These pics appear in the book U.S. Army Rangers & Special Forces of World War II (Robert Todd Ross, 2002, ISBN 0-7643-1682-6).

Jeff Q.
AZ

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:43 am

Jeff, I want to get them...how?

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 am

Luke,

I've never ordered images from the National Archives but I imagine you can begin the inquiry process by researching their website. It's also possible that other, sequential, images may exist from that Camp Forrest photo session in which case a visit to the NA may be in order? Some of the archives are maintained in Maryland I understand.

Jeff Q.
AZ

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:22 pm

bump...still looking for items and veterans.

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Wanted, For Sale”