Help on different editions of Yank Magazine

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
SammyJD
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Help on different editions of Yank Magazine

Post by SammyJD » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi

As part of a display I am looking to get some yank magazines. I have noticed there are a few different versions, so wanted to check on something

I am displaying for '44 in France, predictable I know but it's what interests me, and so have ruled out Yank Down Under naturally, but which would be distributed in the region. I suspect the candidates are the Continental edition, the British Edition (may have been shipped across) Europe edition or the version without any edition listed. I'd assume the Europe one, but there don't seem to be as many of those around so perhaps more than one was distributed in the area, or maybe few survive?

I might as well get it right, so if anyone can offer any insight into where these different editions were distributed that would be great. Good old Google hasn't helped me this time

Thanks

SD

gpwbob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Help on different editions of Yank Magazine

Post by gpwbob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 am

I also have my MVs and displays focused on France 1944.

Regarding which Yank to display, it may depend on the months in 1944. From June 6 to July 29, it may have been the British or European edition. The first Continental Edition, Vol 1, No 1, was published July 30,1944.

The first European edition was published 3/4/44
The first British edition was published 11/8/42

Here's a great website I found with publish dates and cover photos of most all Yank magazines:
http://www.wartimepress.com/archives.as ... =41&FID=36
Bob Buker
GPW 34785, 6/17/42, w/SCR-284 & BC-1000
Dodge 1944 WC-51
MBT August 1942
MVPA 12125

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”