Availability of live fire M2 60mm cups and tubes for form 1 build.

Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
nwarcade
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Availability of live fire M2 60mm cups and tubes for form 1 build.

Post by nwarcade » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 am

Hey all,
I'm thinking about doing a form one M2 mortar build. Does anyone have recommendations on new production live fire cups and tubes? Ideally I would like to purchase and transfer the cup so I could submit my form one and prepay for the tube with shipping to be arranged when the form is approved.

Has anyone worked a build like this? I would just hate to get the build approved 9 months from now but not have access to a tube.

**I would even be interested in an original cup and/or tube if possible**

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major
Re: Availability of live fire M2 60mm cups and tubes for form 1 build.

Post by nirvana » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:46 am

Ordnance.com

Marshall Morgan out of TN makes new live cups. I don't know of anyone else in the game.

David_4x4
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by David_4x4 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 am

There’s complete mortars on GB all the time using what appears to be new tubes and cups. So someone is making it.
M2A1 Halftrack
M20 Armored Car
M35A2
M151A1

patriot
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by patriot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am

David_4x4 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 am
There’s complete mortars on GB all the time using what appears to be new tubes and cups. So someone is making it.
Yes, nirvanas post above answered your comment.

I bought a complete DD kit from them last year. Upside is: the thing is gorgeous! Downside is: the thing is gorgeous!! Every time I go shoot it, I scratch it up more, and it makes me cringe :lol:

I know for a fact that they sell new cups and new tubes, as I saw them making them when I went to pick my kit up after nfa paperwork cleared. They also have a selection of original cups manufactured during WWII. I was interested in buying an original to use with my kit, but changed my mind when they priced them :shock:

They were 2x to 3x times the cost of their new made cups, and considering that they are identical, not worth the price (at least not to me). Now maybe if you are a die hard WWII collector, maybe it's worth it, but for the $1500- $2000 original cup price, you can buy a cup, tube, and firing pin from them, and still have money left over. Maybe their USGI cup price is just a gimmick, to help sell their new cups, I have no idea. But the original juice wasn't worth the squeeze to me. They did have a couple original tubes as well, but they were stupid expensive. Something like $4k a piece. I THINK THEY WERE SOLID GOLD.......AT LEAST THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE :roll: YMMV.

If you buy one from them, I strongly suggest picking it up, if you are reasonably close, it's worth the visit. The place is like a frickin' arsenal, literally. I was working in Kentucky at the time, so it worked out for me. They also bought my ordnance collection a few years ago, so thankful I didn't have to move it again!! Kinda wish I still had some of the stuff back!!

Good luck, they are a fun project for sure!!!

Patrick

domitrov001
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by domitrov001 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm

patriot wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am
David_4x4 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 am
I know for a fact that they sell new cups and new tubes, as I saw them making them when I went to pick my kit up after nfa paperwork cleared. They also have a selection of original cups manufactured during WWII. I was interested in buying an original to use with my kit, but changed my mind when they priced them :shock:

They were 2x to 3x times the cost of their new made cups, and considering that they are identical, not worth the price (at least not to me). Now maybe if you are a die hard WWII collector, maybe it's worth it, but for the $1500- $2000 original cup price, you can buy a cup, tube, and firing pin from them, and still have money left over. Maybe their USGI cup price is just a gimmick, to help sell their new cups, I have no idea. But the original juice wasn't worth the squeeze to me. They did have a couple original tubes as well, but they were stupid expensive. Something like $4k a piece. I THINK THEY WERE SOLID GOLD.......AT LEAST THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE :roll: YMMV.

Patrick
I have been a customer of Marshall's for close to 8 years now. My main love is WW2 USGI mortars and have got 2 60mm's, 2 81mm's and a 4.2 from Marshall. Also a TON of ordnance and other accessories. If you want a mortar....simply put...get it from his shop. His products are not only historically accurate, they are safe and reliable. I have seem some repop cups and tubes from other knuckleheads over the years that I would be terrified to fire from. Marshall stands behind his products 100% and he has never let me down. I have done mortar demo's from the US's largest D-Day reenactment to the US Army War College top command and never do I or anybody else questions his work/product.

In terms of the repop vs original prices it is not a gimmick. Original mortar cups and tubes are VERY rare and command the price to go along with it. I have sold original mortar cups to Marshall and he has paid that same value that he sells his for. Does the repop cup and the original cup do the same thing? Yes....but again like you said, for the hardcore collector, stuff like that matters. Basically its the same as if you want to buy a repop ww2 1911 or an original 1943 remington rand 1911. Its $700 vs $2500 for the same function but obviously the original is going to drive the cost higher. Its the same with the mortar cups but they are MUCH rarer than 1911's. If you just want to get a shooter, go with his repop setup. I have one of his that I shoot often and it does the job.

Marshall has done right by me for many years and I recommend him to anybody wanting to get into mortars. Recently I helped with an article for World War Media and a video was produced showcasing my 60mm 81mm and 4.2 mortars. All of them I acquired from Marshall. The 60mm is shooting his amazing TRUMP rounds which can be bought on gunbroker. They are $ but so awesome to shoot. Always a crowd pleaser. If you have any questions please feel free to message me on here. I am always happy to help a stovepipe hobbyist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIpILAPGd4

-Brian

nwarcade
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by nwarcade » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I've bought quite a few items from Marshall in the past and like others in the thread have always been totally satisfied. Just wanted to hear of any other options before pulling the trigger. Looks like I got my answer. Thanks All!

dantheman

Post by dantheman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 am

I am in the process of doing the same thing, but I am restoring my bipod and baseplate, etc, before starting on the tube/cup. There is a guy out there I can put you in contact with who is currently working with a couple companies to produce tubes/cups as well as reproduction M49 rounds. However, these are not yet available and I don't think they know when the will be. If you want one now it looks like Marshall at Ordnanace.com is your best bet. They are spendy but I hear nothing but good things about his stuff. I have talked with him several times regarding parts I need to restore mine and he seems like a nice guy. He just doesn't have any spare parts, nor does anyone else on the planet it seems... :(

Check out NFA talk forums. There is a thread there under Destructive Devices that has a ton of info if you haven't already seen it
-Dan

1945 GPW 267188 (numbers matching)

nwarcade
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by nwarcade » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks Dan,
I would be interested in hearing about your alternate manufacturer. Feel free to shoot me a pm.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

One safety thing that is not well depicted in that video is that when you drop the round, you should pass your hands along the tube to below the muzzle THEN move them away and move for the subsequent rounds. having your hand above the breech when it goes off is a recipe for a bad day. If the charge is greater than "charge 1" which is contained inside the round, then you do not need to be hit by the exiting projectile in order to be injured.

Cool pieces in the video.

Return to “Weapons”