Very rare experimental 1913 Patton Saber for the US Cavalry

Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:57 am

When you look at these pictures it’s easy to focus on the 1911 .45 ACP pistol first, then its strange attachment.

That’s what I did anyway, but people and collectors into sabres, US Cavalry and historical things look at the “attachment” instead.

According to an expert, a person who has collected US Cavalry accoutrements for almost 30 years, value the “firearm” pictured at around $50,000 – or more.

We’re looking at an experimental 1913 Patton Saber normally used by the US Cavalry and designed by George Patton when he was a lieutenant in the Cavalry.

This particular saber is one of a few prototypes made by Rock Island Arsenal. The saber had a 1911 built into the hand guard with a sliding wire stock which made it a shoulder fired .45 ACP Carbine.

The sabre pictured is owned by Hayes Outopalik of Missoula Montana.

I was unable to find this sabre on their somewhat user-unfriendly homepage, but here’s a direct link to Hayes Outopalik’s American Edged Weapons.

Below: This experimental sabre is seriously steampunk

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... s-cavalry/
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

Return to “Weapons”