Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
Av8er
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: BFONG Blank Fire Full Auto M1A1 Thompson

Post by Av8er » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:30 am

dantheman wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 am
I am wondering about the magazine issue myself. I plan on buying one in the future. I wanted to get in on the first run of these but I have too much going on at the moment. If the mass produced version will only accept their proprietary magazines and not USGI then I won't buy one. I have 30 or 40 real Thompson mags for my SBR M1 and if I can't use those then its not worth it, especially for a $2500 blank gun. Indian Ordnance advertises a very similar design but they sell it in a upper only kit. It takes an unmodified original lower and uses GI mags. Not sure of the blank caliber though. But it is still $2000 just for the upper.

The other thing about Rob's version is the receiver markings. The thing is a beautiful work of art but the one picture I saw that detailed the left side engravings left a little to be desired. I wish they looked a little more realistic. Not sure about the Indiana Ordnance version.
I would suggest contacting Bob at Philadelphia Ordnance directly and ask him about the magazine issue specifically. I do know that the the difference for the magazines is a different size cut in the magazine slot of the trigger housing where the back strap on the magazine slides into the trigger housing. Only he knows what his intention is on whether he is going to have bother versions available. I would suggest sending him a email at philaord@aol.com. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to the magazine issue. Living in a “occupied State,” my only option is to permanently block a standard issue magazine to 10 rounds for legality purposes until the proprietary magazines become available.
Last edited by Av8er on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1943 Ford GPW #113639 USA-20385133
1943 RIA M3A4 Hand Cart

dantheman
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by dantheman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:22 am

Av8er wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:30 am
dantheman wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 am
I am wondering about the magazine issue myself. I plan on buying one in the future. I wanted to get in on the first run of these but I have too much going on at the moment. If the mass produced version will only accept their proprietary magazines and not USGI then I won't buy one. I have 30 or 40 real Thompson mags for my SBR M1 and if I can't use those then its not worth it, especially for a $2500 blank gun. Indian Ordnance advertises a very similar design but they sell it in a upper only kit. It takes an unmodified original lower and uses GI mags. Not sure of the blank caliber though. But it is still $2000 just for the upper.

The other thing about Rob's version is the receiver markings. The thing is a beautiful work of art but the one picture I saw that detailed the left side engravings left a little to be desired. I wish they looked a little more realistic. Not sure about the Indiana Ordnance version.
I would suggest contacting Bob at Philadelphia Ordnance directly and ask him about the magazine issue specifically. I do know that the the difference for the magazines is a different size cut in the magazine slot of the trigger housing where the back strap on the magazine slides into the trigger housing. Only he knows what his intention is on whether he is going to have bother versions available. I would suggest sending him a email at philord@aol.com. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to the magazine issue. Living in a “occupied State,” my only option is to permanently block a standard issue magazine to 10 rounds for legality purposes until the proprietary magazines become available.
I understand the reasoning behind the magazine issues and I'm glad Bob has thought that far in advance. I wasn't bashing the product I was just saying that it would be a shame, in my case, if the production models wouldn't take GI mags. I'll get in touch with him at some point regarding this, and if he is willing to say one way or another I will post it here.
-Dan

1945 GPW 267188 (numbers matching)

reconbob
G-Civilian

Post by reconbob » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:34 am

. Hello - I have become aware that the Phila Ordnance full auto blank gun is being discussed here
and I would like to answer/correct some questions.

- The gun is $2495. This is for the entire, complete gun with one mag. You do not need
to supply any of your own parts. You take it out of the box, load, and shoot. The blanks
are brass crimp blanks made from new, virgin brass (NOT cut down 7.62 NATO brass)
and are 50 cents each and are packed in 200 rd. boxes.

- The gun is all machined steel. 95% of the work is done on the same machines and tooling
we use to make live, shooting full auto guns. It is gun strength and gun quality. It is not
a fragile toy.

- The gun is a non- firearm and not regulated by ATF. However, their are certain states and
localities where blank guns (even starter pistols) are not allowed and we cannot ship to
those places. Anyone can come pick up a gun and mags at our shop.

- At this time and for months to come, the gun uses original WW2 Thompson magazines. I
am planning on making a special magazine that will fit the blank gun, but not fit in an
original Thompson so guys in states with magazine bans can use the gun and mags. I will
always offer the gun to take original mags with the blank mag as an option.

- Another reason for making the mags is that original, new Thompson mags are all gone
and priced very high. I can make standard or blank gun mags new and sell them for
much less than original mags.

- The gun uses many original Thompson parts. The entire bottom half of the gun is
interchangeable with original Thompson.

- I cannot engrave the guns with the original markings. I know for authenticity its what people
want but Auto-Ordnance is an existing company, and the word THOMPSON and the bullet logo
are registered trademarks (yes, even for non guns) and they are fanatically enforced by the owners.

- The gun has an identical sound/report as an original Thompson shooting ball ammo. Checked
with a decibel meter positioned behind the firer. (123 db.)

I will be happy to answer any questions. I will try to check here or anyone can email me at
Philaord@aol.com.

To order a gun I need, your name, address, phone, and email. No deposit is required and
there is no obligation to buy. When I work my way down to you I will contact you when I can
ship a gun. If you got on the list now I would estimate shipping in March-April.

Many Thanks

Bob Bower/Phila Ord

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Man if you did payment plans....
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

tsmgguy
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by tsmgguy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm sure pleased with my Phila. Ord. M1A1 blank gun.
Last edited by tsmgguy on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willys MB 236426, Hood 20336549, DOD 5-20-43
Piper L-4A "Grasshopper", Sn. 10371, USAAF 43-29080, DOD 5-28-43

Corman2011
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Corman2011 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:33 pm

We have a guy in our airborne reenactment Unit that purchased one of these and it dumps ammo and sounds just like the original Legal FA M1A1 Thompson owned by another member. They sound identical! The other guys in the unit cant stop asking firing their bfong since it's so fun! Same fire rate an all. I was very impressed. Just waiting for a 1928 that takes original Drum mags to be made before I jump on the list for one! haha

Cheers!
1945 Willy's MB

Return to “Weapons”