1943 Gertenslager Ben Hur FOR SALE

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
mmclean
G-Private
G-Private
1943 Gertenslager Ben Hur FOR SALE

Post by mmclean » Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 am

All,
Putting this back up for sale regretfully. I bought it two years from a member here in hopes of restoring it in my spare time. With a two kids under 2 in the house, my free time has disappeared and space is at a premium.. It has been in a enclosed, unheated barn since I bought it, hasn't seen any snow or rain since I bought it last in 2015. It currently is still in storage. Heres the posting from last year: Nothing has changed. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it.

WWII Ben Hur Trailer G518, built by Gerstenlanger Co., Model "A" , Serial # 16276, DOD 6-24-43. This Ben Hur has the lunette and wheel assembly which are the by far the most difficult/ impossible parts to find. Notes: the handbrake assembly is complete along with the cable; has the original dataplates; tailgate pins and chains are original ; landing wheel rolls and turns freely in any direction; the pin in the landing leg is stuck ; I removed the taillight brackets, blackout light switch and the trailer chains* to sell separately, but decided to sell the trailer as I found it, so those are included as well; the two front pockets will need repair; other pockets are straight and in very good shape; front panel needs repair; fenders are good ; bedsides and front panel are straight; tail gate is in great shape, moves freely, has a little bend in the upper left corner (doesn’t impede securing) ; all the tie down rings are present; rims and tires are good; the brake drums were removed for some reason ; the front part of the floor will need work as well as the channel underneath it (see photos); the frame has some surface rust but seems to be in good shape & straight. Please look at the photos so you can see what I have described.
* The trailer chains are longer that normal and after closer inspection and comparing them to the ones on my other Ben Hur, I believe they were modified making them longer. The original hooks and wedges each have two original links and a slightly smaller chain was added in between for length. My originals chains minus hook and wedge measure 19 1/4 and these are 55 1/2 . Whoever grafted these did nice job.
I will not part this out, so please don’t ask (been asked a few times). If I sold off the most desirable parts, then I’m left with what everyone else has...something hard to restore and hard to sell.
There is no title for it, just a bill of sale. Sold as is.
All of the small parts are still with it (chains, brackets, light switch), just in a cardboard box.
Currently located in storage in Limerick Maine, but I can move it with notice to my house in Rochester NH. I have more photos than the flickr acct shows, so please email me at matthewmmclean (AT) gmail DOT com for more.
Priced at $1500 to move.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141899266@N06/?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”