WWII Ben Hur side rack hardware repro project

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: WWII Ben Hur side rack hardware repro project

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 am

The TM10 Parts Manuals along with the OCT 44 ORD9 and FEB 53 ORD 9 are inconsistent. If one has sharp eyes and has access to WWII photos, both types of brackets for the pins can be seen.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

lj nettles
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lj nettles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:28 pm

The cost for the sockets will be $152 for a set of four plus shipping. They are available when you need them. I have finished the back plate and the latch and I am making the die for the latch cover. The back plate and latch will cost $42 for a set of four. I hope to have a cost for the latch cover this week. There is no mark up in the price it is just what it cost me to make them.
SteveG wrote:Thanks to Leonard Nettles, we almost have the side rack sockets done. He needs to have the machine work done for the bevels and threads and he'll have some for sale. Beautiful work, Leonard! He's also working on the latch assemblies. If I can light a fire under my guy, we'll have all the parts done soon.....

Tinwoodsman
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Tinwoodsman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Getting real close.

Thanks,

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:22 am

I am looking forward to seeing the final kit. I have been getting items for my Ben-Hur Trailer over the past few years and need to finally get my trailer restored.
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Leonard Nettles advises me that he's making good progress on the side rack latches and will be working further over the holidays. Here's a picture of the latch cover, which was the other piece my guy couldn't get done.

My guy tells me he hopes to have three sets of hardware done, less the two pieces that Leonard is making, by the 10th of January. My guy's progress is slow, due to the fact that he's been working 12 hour days for quite some time at his job.

I'll advise when they're done. I currently have at least two guys in line for sets (Leonard is one of them), so these first ones may already be spoken for. If you want to get in line, send me a PM. No obligations, I just need to know who to advise when they're done.
Steve

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:27 am

So are you still accepting names of people interested? What is the asking price (ball park) for a complete set?
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Kirk,
Yes, I'm taking names of those interested. Will put you on the list. My fabrication guy will be selling everything, except the two parts that Leonard is making, which is the socket and the latch. Check out the prior posts to get filled in with what my fabrication guy is doing and what Leonard's doing. The parts my guy is doing should be under $300 for the set, but until he finishes the first set, I won't have the exact number. Leonard has posted prices for one of the parts he's done. He'll post the price for the latch assembly as soon as it's done. Those people that decide to purchase these items will be paying Leonard and my guy separately. My involvement with this project is strictly to facilitate getting them made.
Steve

lj nettles
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lj nettles » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:48 pm

SteveG wrote:Kirk,
Yes, I'm taking names of those interested. Will put you on the list. My fabrication guy will be selling everything, except the two parts that Leonard is making, which is the socket and the latch. Check out the prior posts to get filled in with what my fabrication guy is doing and what Leonard's doing. The parts my guy is doing should be under $300 for the set, but until he finishes the first set, I won't have the exact number. Leonard has posted prices for one of the parts he's done. He'll post the price for the latch assembly as soon as it's done. Those people that decide to purchase these items will be paying Leonard and my guy separately. My involvement with this project is strictly to facilitate getting them made.
Steve
The cost for 4ea hinge sockets and 4ea side rail latch assemblies will be $324. This cost does not include any hardware that Steve's fabricator is making.

Leonard

Tinwoodsman

Post by Tinwoodsman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:45 am

I have read through the threads several time and either I am slow or just confused. Leonard, will you be making the socket set and the complete latch assemblies or just parts of the latch assemblies? If you are making the complete latch assemblies, what will the cost for a set of four be? Steve, will your guy be making all the other parts for the rack hardware?

lj nettles
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lj nettles » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Tinwoodsman wrote:I have read through the threads several time and either I am slow or just confused. Leonard, will you be making the socket set and the complete latch assemblies or just parts of the latch assemblies? If you are making the complete latch assemblies, what will the cost for a set of four be? Steve, will your guy be making all the other parts for the rack hardware?
I made the hinge socket and the complete latch assembly which consists of the backing plate, latch handle and the top cover. The cost of 4 each latch assemblies is $120 plus shipping costs.

Tinwoodsman

Post by Tinwoodsman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Thank you Leonard. Steve, are you making the plate attached to the upright which the latch attaches to?

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes. My guy is making the flat plate that the latch handle pivots into on the side racks.

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 am

Hi Larry & Steve,

I read the entire email thread, I would conclude the following:

1. All the steel hardware would be around $300 USD plus shipping (final cost still pending and excludes what Leonard's guy is making)....contact Steve to get on the list
2. The 4 hinge sockets and 4 latch assemblies would be $324 USD plus shipping.... contact Leonard
3. The 4 latch assemblies would be $120 USD plus shipping.... contact Leonard

Am I correct in what I have stated above - just figured I would summarize the entire ask here?

Thanks,
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 am

The parts my guy is making (he hopes to have three sets done by 10 Jan) will be under $300. Not sure exactly where yet.

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:30 am

steve!

Can you put me on your list... Tried sending you a pm but it is hung up in the outbox.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”