Priming Assemblies - 37MM Bofor, PAK 36, Japanese Cases

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
dwing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Priming Assemblies - 37MM Bofor, PAK 36, Japanese Cases

Post by dwing » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:04 am

We are getting a run of priming assemblies made for 37MM bofor cases. We have been using them for about a year now and they work well. They use a large magnum rifle primer, screw in vent just like the originals and have a flash tube on top like the US primers so a panty hose powder bag doesn't have to be use. I have also screwed these into 75MM japanese cases and PAK 36 cases. We have a person with a CNC to run them. Instead of the three tip specialty spanner wrench. we are making them hex so they will go in and out easily with a socket. I don't know how to post the picture of them here, but if someone is interested I can forward pictures. Minimum order of ten. We have enough people interested to do the run, but I thought I would post out here in case someone is interested in tagging along.

dustin_wing@yahoo.com
Last edited by dwing on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your gun doesn't leak oil, it's time for a bigger gun.

waterdawg2004

Re: Priming Assemblies - 37MM Bofor, PAK 36, Japanese Cases

Post by waterdawg2004 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 am

How about a source for M23 US primer assemblies? The type with a cup instead of a tube? Thanks for any info.
1944 MB Jeep
37mm Gun, Antitank, M3A1 USA
French 25mm SA.L Model 1937
Replica Kubelwagen from VW Thing

Dangerous Bob B
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Dangerous Bob B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 am

waterdawg2004 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 am
How about a source for M23 US primer assemblies? The type with a cup instead of a tube? Thanks for any info.
Just curious why don't you want the one with the tube?

waterdawg2004

Post by waterdawg2004 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Bob
Easier to load. The M23 already has a cup, the M28s I have need a plastic tube inserted after pressing into the case.
1944 MB Jeep
37mm Gun, Antitank, M3A1 USA
French 25mm SA.L Model 1937
Replica Kubelwagen from VW Thing

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:31 am

Any chance these might work on the 75mm US?
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

dwing

Post by dwing » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 am

waterdawg2004 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:42 pm
Hi Bob
Easier to load. The M23 already has a cup, the M28s I have need a plastic tube inserted after pressing into the case.
We have been cutting the full length tubes down short for the US 37MM cases. They end up essentially working the same and you don't need a flash tube. Send me an email and I will send a photo of what I am doing for the M16 cases for the US 37MM M3 gun. Again. what you will see is I am leaving about an inch of flash tube on the end of the primer. allows for a cavity for black powder but is short enough that a punch can still reach the back side of the primer to knock it out for reloading. Works for 25MM puteaux cases as well.

Kevin Lockwood wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:31 am
Any chance these might work on the 75mm US?
No, these won't work on the US cases. I have the US full length ones that work in the Pack and other US cases that take the press in primer assemblies. I have been taking the full length tubes off for the longer US cases and either threading the metal flash tubes and using them again or as mentioned above using a PVC flash tube that is pressed over the end of the primer. The pack cases had a flash tube that was several inches but not as long as the full length flash tube. They can be made to work easily

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:09 am

BE CAREFUL HERE.......while short primer tubes will work with smaller shorter cases like the 37mm........
THERE IS A REASON why the US MILITARY uses LONG FLASH TUBES in longer and larger caliber cases! :shock:

Those longer tubes are required to avoid pressure spikes in longer and larger caliber cases. If you don't know what the term 'cigarette' burn' means w/r/t long artillery, large caliber cases, you need to read JANES AMMUNITION YEARBOOKS and references on artillery case-caliber-charge development. OR, speak to someone that works or worked at one of the artillery proving grounds.

Yep, you can use the short tubes in long, large caliber cases, but you do so at your peril of higher than normal pressure spikes in the chamber area of the gun. This is not a good area for experimentation or 'scaling up' something that works in small caliber short cases to large cases with pounds, not ounces of powder in them.
reenacting and WWII history

dwing

Post by dwing » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 am

yes Dan flash tubes are needed in artillery cases. These assemblies are for 37MM cases not big long cases. The original primers that came out of these cases didn't even have a flash tube and simply had a bag of black powder in the bottom of the case. We put a flash tube on them as I agree flash tubes are better in small cases and essential in large ones
Attachments
Primers.JPG
Brass original stainless new
Primers.JPG (98.44 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
pak case.JPG
37MM PAK case
pak case.JPG (103.07 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
jap case.JPG
Japanese case
jap case.JPG (103.51 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
bofor case.JPG
bofor case
bofor case.JPG (87.89 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

BELinNC
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by BELinNC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Dustin
I am a little late seeing this. I would love to get some of these primer assy. for my Bofors. Do you have any more available?
BELinNC
Ben LeFever

37mm Danish Bofors
20mm Solothurn

dwing

Post by dwing » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 am

Doing another run of these. They have been in use for awhile and going well. Occasionally run into a case that I need to chase the threads with 1/4 inch straight pipe tap. If anyone needs these let me know. There likely won’t be another run as those that want them are getting all they want this go round and CNC guy cannot make short runs. 45 each plus shipping Flash tubes are about 1/4 inch longer than picture above
Dustin.wing@napaphq.com

Return to “Artillery”