Bridge Plates

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Walter
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Bridge Plates

Post by Walter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 am

Good Morning Everyone:

Question for the group. Can anyone tell me what the correct bridge plate numbers are for both an M-35A2 w/winch and for an M-62A2 Wrecker, or the TM where I can find this information?

My duce did not have a bridge plate when we got it. Although I have acquired a couple of plates since then, the question is what are the two correct numbers to use?. The 5 ton M-62A2 was unreadable. Ditto for the wrecker.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Walter

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Bridge Plates

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 am

There is a TB on PAINTING and MARKING regarding the M-Series Vehicles. I do not have it in front of me. Maybe later today or over the weekend. (Or maybe one of the members can help)

Found the Reference-TB 746-93-1. :wink: Anyone got it? Mine is buried among a thousand manuals.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Walter

Post by Walter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks Ben!

I found the manual on line. It refereed me to a field manual!

I was looking for a table or something simple. Should have known better! I think that I can figure it out, but if any one else has a quicker way, please advise.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Walter

Walter

Post by Walter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Good Evening Ben:

Thanks again for the reference -- TB 746-93-1. As I mentioned in the last post, TB 746-93-1 referenced a field manual -- FM 5-36. TB 746-93-1 appeared to talk only about where the plates were located on the vehicle and how they were marked. I did not find any information on the weight classification for individual vehicles. It was there that FM 5-36 popped up as the reference to figure out which bridge plate numbers went to which vehicle.

I found FM 5-36 on line as well. Strangely, FM 5-36 is a recon manual specializing in vehicle routes. Although there is some discussion in the main body of the manual about vehicles, the majority of the manual concentrates on the bridges and roads and their associated signage. The actual FM I looked at was from 1965 and was Change #1. However, when I was looking through the appendices, I found the table on vehicle classification I was looking for. It was in Appendix IV. It consists of mostly tables showing vehicle descriptions and their three weight classifications, weight or class of vehicle W/O payload (E), w/max off road payload (C), and w/max highway payload (H). The preferred number to be used on the classification plate is Column C value. If the numbers in "C" were missing then it defers to column "H" and then finally to column "E"

If I have interrupted the tables correctly it looks like M-37's and M-43's are both a "4". The Duces are "8"'s and the M-62 is a "21"

Many thanks again, Ben, for the original reference that led me the answer.

Best regards,

Walter

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 am

Happy to have helped.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”