CCKW Tranmsission Question - 5th Gear Bushing

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

CCKW Tranmsission Question - 5th Gear Bushing

Post by mudflap » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Have been working on rebuilding a spare transmission for my CCKW. Picked this one up a few years ago. Does not show much wear, but the unit had been sitting for a long time with water in it, so there were some rust issues on some of the internals.

Replaced all the bearings and a few of the gears - including 5th (overdrive). Purchased an NOS gear, bushing and main shaft sleeve. Made an installer for the new bushing, and pressed it into the new gear. All was going together well, until I tried to slide the 5th gear on to the sleeve. It would not go on. Thinking maybe I distorted the bushing when I staked it into the gear, I made some measurements. The bushing inside diameter was uniform, however the ID was 2.021" to 2.022", which is about 0.005" to 0.006" smaller than the OD ( 2.026") of the sleeve.

Had to chuck the gear up in the lathe, and break out the boring bar. After three or four light passes on the bushing, the ID fell into spec, and the gear slid onto the sleeve with about 0.002" of clearance.

I did not see this referenced in any of the TMs. Every one that I read indicated that this was just a drop in replacement.

Has anybody seen this before?

Best Regards...

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”