Need to borrow your eyes. Is there a G506 spare tire carrier in this bed?

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
signsup
banned

Need to borrow your eyes. Is there a G506 spare tire carrier in this bed?

Post by signsup » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Purchased this G6506 from a museum in MI and am in the process of trying to get it hauled down to GA. But, in the meantime, I'm doing as much research as I can as I am new to the G506, but not to the military vehicle hobby. Got my fingers crossed... do you think there is a spare tire carrier in the bed of this truck? The tires and wheels are the outside duals taken off the truck and some spare fenders have headlights and blackout lights on them. So I'm hoping the truck is fairly complete if there is a bracket. The museum never worked on this truck so they couldn't tell me what was in the bed.

Any help and opinions and advice appreciated. I just don't have my hands on it . . . yet.
ebay 16.jpg
ebay 16.jpg (31.46 KiB) Viewed 573 times
ebay 17.jpg
ebay 17.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Need to borrow your eyes. Is there a G506 spare tire carrier in this bed?

Post by retro-roco » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 pm

It looks like you lucked out. In the pics on the auction site, was this picture:

Thats it leaning against the tires...along with the bumperettes(which appear to be extras!).

A number of things seem to point to an early N style truck (dataplate says 6NJ) which is a cargo truck less winch, the sertine front grille, and also the embossed side panels. The engine oil filter MIGHT be early, but more likely came with the post-war engine thats in the truck. The bed is also a later composite bed, made with a wood floor, while sides, tailgate, etc are steel.

It looks like you might be missing the fuel tank, which should be located between the frame rails. I think I see the large cap fuel filler in the bed, but see no sign of the tank itself.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 am

Thank you Kirk,
The museum represented it as a 42 with a later engine and a replacement body, so all you say makes perfect sense. This will be our first "truck" and we are not the MVPA police, so we will put it together as a representation of the specis, not a factory class restoration. Composite body is a plus for me as I can work with wood better than I can work with metal. The spare tire carrier is a plus, but no gas tank will be an issue. I wonder how they said it was running at one time with no gas tank, but we've all seen Bubba magic in our travels.

Wonder why they took the outer duals off? I'm planning on visiting this truck prior to shipping as the transport companis won't ship with loos parts in the bed, so I may try to slip the duals on and put a plywod top over the rear bed to keep it covered and rechet strap everything down to the frame. Then they can hal it down to me in GA.

There was only one other bidder on this truck and I hope I haven't offended anyone on this board by getting it. We'll treat it right.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

johnwaz
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by johnwaz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 am

The outer duals are typically taken off when the transporting trailer isn't wide enough to leave them on. I got my G506 from Cheboygan, MI (NE Lower Peninsula) in 2015. Good luck with the "new to you" truck, and Godspeed in getting it home to where you can get it going again.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

I saw that one on Ebay too, Great truck for the money. Nice to see it going to a good home, do post an update from time to time. :D
Kelley

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”