I found a stamp serial number

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
ak fechner
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
I found a stamp serial number

Post by ak fechner » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:31 pm

I have a Chevy g506 that I stripped all the way down to Sandblast and Prime and paint. I have been going off of what I heard over the years about the Chevys never having a serial number that was stamped on the frame. That may not be true. Me and my brother turned to frame back over today so I could Prime and paint the top side of the frame. While going over the top of the frame with a wire brush one more time before I start priming tomorrow I started coming cross some numbers and I recognize the number as being my serial number that was on my data plate which only have 5 digits on it. So I got some fine sandpaper and I found my whole serial number. it was stamped into the top right side rail right behind the mount for the fuel tank mount.

8 NJ 38 15978

So I am right: 8 = Atlanta NJ = Cargo less winch 38 = February 1944 production number 15978

All I could say was wow.... couldn't get a good picture. Posted a photo on Chevy G506 fb page... finally found out some history on my truck. Hope it helps others with where to look for a serial number on a Chevy.
Thanks Andy

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: I found a stamp serial number

Post by forestry4evr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 am

Andy,

Interesting discovery. Does it look original? What the approximate distance from the transfer case cross member and the stamping? I don't recall seeing anything there on my trucks, but I have to admit that I never searched real hard there either. Most folks that reported a stamp indicated it to be near the front axle. Some state DMV laws require a frame stamp which was added after the vehicle was decommissioned from the military.

Thanks for the information.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”