Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????

Post by steveo916 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:57 pm

thanks for the reply Roland the Thompsongunner

i am correct though
the OD of the track is stretched more on the thicker tracks as it rolls around the flange and if the track contacted the ground at that point you would be correct since it would be like having a bigger tire.
but it doesn't. it contacts the ground when it is flat and both the ID and OD length of the track would be considered equal when flat no mater standard or the thicker tracks.
m16 halftrack

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

If track speed is the same, Star Point could make tracks with an inch thicker wear area or maybe more! Why would they not do it?
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:59 pm

if you bolted 1" blocks to your tracks do you think your halftrack would be moving faster at the same rpm?
m16 halftrack

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:23 pm

i just did a quick search of posts and realized I'm trying to convince people that don't even have halftracks that they are not making any sense.

dilvoy
Roland the Thompsongunner
Ben Dover (not his real name,, he is a parts dealer) J-o-e-l G-o-p-a-n

why do these people post here? it would be like me telling the jeep people how to do things.
m16 halftrack

G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Roland the Thompsongunner » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:34 am

Attacking myself and others here about not owning a halftrack and therefore shouldn't participate in the conversation is a bit hostile in my opinion. I don't remember seeing that in the rules of the forum. I myself have owned and restored several armored and tracked vehicles including two halftracks. I am contemplating building another that I have access to and was curious about the track situation and decided to ask some questions. Tracks are the biggest reason to build or not at this point for me. Sorry to get your blood pressure up over a simple question. Dan
Last edited by Roland the Thompsongunner on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:08 am

This is interesting.

The outer circumference is longer with thicker tracks.

BUT! Tracks are flexible, and on the part contacting the ground (so the only one that commands speed) the track is flat so the lenght of the inside and outside are equal, and so are their linear speeds, right?
Then the speed of the inner part of the track is fixed by the sprocket, and won't change.

If you imagine taking a track, and adding huge wood blocks to each pad, say 10 inches high.
Around the sprockets the track will flex, and so "spread" the blocks thus showing a bigger diameter/circumference.
But when it approaches the ground, the track goes linear, and so the lenght of the wood blocks on the ground is identical to the original track, and so is the speed!
Last edited by Fabrizio on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:14 am

steveo916 wrote:i just did a quick search of posts and realized I'm trying to convince people that don't even have halftracks that they are not making any sense.

dilvoy
Ben Dover (not his real name,, he is a parts dealer) J-o-e-l G-o-p-a-n

why do these people post here? it would be like me telling the jeep people how to do things.

Yes, I am a Parts Dealer,(And Collector-Restorer) long time. Am retired now. Been with the surplus army parts business since the 40's. Have sold half track parts to happy users for decades and have owned a halftrack or two. My last half track was an M-5 that I had imported from Europe. I am not the new boy on the block and have specialized in finding rare parts for serious collectors of tracked and wheeled combat vehicles over the past 30-40 years and have pulled a few rabbits out of my hat for appreciative customers from the many contacts known since the 40's, and still do on occasion for buyers who do not yank my chain.
Last edited by Joe Gopan on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:59 am

Let's just agree with Steve, thank him for all his help and devotion to the hobby, Steve is always right and is the worlds expert on half tracks. Let's just read and not comment anymore. If you have nothing nice to say let's just not say it anymore

I personally would like to ask everybody to stop the negative comments here on the G. It's wonderful that so many different opinions can be said here.

It's really time to stop what's been going on here.

Let's behave and enjoy the hobby of collecting and restoring our vehicles.

I will be receiving Harold's tracks in a week or so.
The container has 2-3 sets of available tracks .

Buy Star Points Izzy tracks for more money or buy Harold's tracks, or don't buy at all. If you have a half track I would think you would want a set of tracks for it to drive. Any way you look at it, Harold has accomplished what nobody new has accomplished so far. Made and tested new tracks for you guys.

That's a huge accomplishment.

I enjoy working with collectors that are enjoying the work they are doing with their vehicles. The guys what want to be negative and talk about they will never buy from Gary, that's your choice, I will not loose any sleep over it.

I have heard so many guys say how much they hate the bickering but don't want to get involved.

Let's try to keep this forum moving forward with positive comments

Sincerely Gary

svaasand
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by svaasand » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:31 am

Taking up the thickness of tracks, and the importance on gear ratio;
I think Steve has the correct understading here. What if we imagine that the track was twice as long, with extra sets of roadwheels. This would not cause the vehicle to move twice as fast? It is correct to consider the track as "being the ground", the flat section is not moving relative to the ground. The drive wheels move the vehicle the lenght of the circumference in one revolution of the wheel.
A "tracklaying" vehicle is just that; similar to running a train on railroad tracks, where someone picks up the tracks in the back, and runs in front and lays them down in front of the train is it moves. The thickness of railroad tracks, or length of each piece, does not affect train speed. Diameter of drive wheel does (and rpm, of course).

-Lars Svaasand (M5 owner)
-Lars Svaasand

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:39 am

The Thickness of the track increases the Diameter of the sprocket wheel and adds to the surface speed of the sprocket wheel . Think of the track as one big rubber tire.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Kristof
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Kristof » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:55 am

you know what you are talking about. Ben
Greetings harold

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:06 am

The real linear speed of the tracks (=speed of the vehicle if no slip) would be the speed at the point where the sprocket touches the track.
I believe it would be at the central axis of the track pins, more or less the wear. Like a train on rails, but chain-like rails and sprocket-like wheels.
So track thickness should not affect the speed, as long as the pin/sprocket fit is the same.

Edit: that would be for tracks like on a Sherman, but applies also to the "teeth" on the HT tracks.
Their center axis from what I see is flush with the sprocket OD, so same conclusion: speed is only affected by sprocket external diameter, and sprocket RPM. Exactly like if it was directly on the road.
Tracks flex, and do change outer lenght/OD/outer speed while going around the sprocket , but are virtually flat and parallel to the ground when they touch it, so thickness changes nothing.

Fabrizio, owner of a little bit of common sense
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:24 am

Roland the Thompsongunner wrote:Attacking myself and others here about not owning a halftrack and therefore shouldn't participate in the conversation is a bit hostile in my opinion.
you may be right but here is my problem.
star point posted tracks for sale one page back. as you see gary attacked. then people started posting that you may break things if you used these tracks.
if you where an actual customer thinking of buying these tracks that had a halftrack i wouldn't care as much but your not.
if you posted something for sale and someone that has no idea what they are talking about or interest in your part starts posting that you you may damage your vehicle and "Lots of broken pieces on pavement" what would you think?
G102 wrote:Steve is always right
gary
you have more posts deleted here than anyone else because of your negative comments. you should start with yourself and behave.
i also figure that you know I'm correct about the thicker tracks but you would have been happy to continue to mislead people about them.

Fabrizio wrote:, so thickness changes nothing.
svaasand wrote:Taking up the thickness of tracks, and the importance on gear ratio;
I think Steve has the correct understading here. (M5 owner)
thanks svaasand and Fabrizio
some here must have skipped geometry in high school.
Last edited by steveo916 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m16 halftrack

steveo916
G-Major
G-Major

Post by steveo916 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 am

Ben Dover wrote:The Thickness of the track increases the Diameter of the sprocket wheel and adds to the surface speed of the sprocket wheel . Think of the track as one big rubber tire.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

the geometry of a track is so simple that at one point i started thinking people where just messing with me with there comments.

i think it can't be explained any easier than this.
if you bolted 1" blocks all the way around your standard tracks (simulating a thicker track) and drove at a set rpm would your speed increase or stay the same as compared to no blocks at the same rpm?

if you think it will go faster you may need to go back to school
m16 halftrack

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:46 am

THANK YOU STEVE
GARY

Return to “Tracked”