M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

vj
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild

Post by vj » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:55 am

Steve, All looks super great. You sure have done a great job and all the picture,s too.Keep up the wonderful work, I sure enjoy looking at the pictures. :D :D wendell
I have got four running halftracks,plus 5 ton ww2 semi-truck,1943 willys jeep and other ww2 vehicles,plus a lot of parts to trade on. Wendell in Tn.

steve1973
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Major accomplishment today. I got the cowling back on the frame. Its beginning to look like a halftrack again. ;D Now to finish up the wiring.

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

steve1973
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Made lots of progress this last week. First, thanks for all the kind comments! :mrgreen: The one thing I like where my shop is that I'm close by many great parts places. I have a rubber and line place, fastener place several parts houses and a auto paint supplier. Anyway, back to my progress. All the fuel and vacuum lines are in. Thanks to Eric at Pacific Rubber for that. Here is the fuel line set I had made up. It runs from the frame mounted fuel filter to the fuel pump. $50.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested.

I filled up the engine with break in oil, did some more painting and sandblasting. Finished up all the electrical on the firewall and my add on spark module in the coil box. Installed the generator with the help of my crane.

Here are some detailed photos of what I have done so far.

I will be re installing the exhaust and filling the cooling system this week. Tomorrow I'm buying a 8D battery and getting that installed. My goal is to have the first engine start next weekend. :mrgreen:

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:01 am

Made some headway this week in preparation for the first engine start now planned for this Sunday. Monday I purchased a new 8D battery and installed it using the original battery hold down brackets. The battery is a little narrower than the original Willard battery so I had to use some extra nuts as spacers to cinch up the end brackets. I will need to make some new rods in the future to correct this.

The rest of last week I was busy with work so I didn't get much done till yesterday. Friday I started going through my mental check list making sure things are ready for Sunday. I did some more painting for the exhaust brackets and such, tightened up the lower generator bolts and then decided it was time to fill the engine up with coolant. For reference, the cooling system holds 24 quarts or 6 gallons. Everything was going good till I put the last gallon in, LEAKS!!! ??? :o It was now time to chase and fix leaks.

Water pump drain loose and was tightened, leak stopped.
Temperature sensor loose and was tightened, leak stopped.
Various hose fittings leaked. I got a set of the old style hose clamps and they leaked at the same spot where the clamp was drawn together. Out with the old style and back to the newer style. Problem fixed except for one. I can't seem to get the hose below the oil cooler from weeping coolant. I may have to replace that hose, we'll see.

That's all. More to come. I will be installing the exhaust today and testing the electrical especially for proper groundings.

Steve A.

steve1973
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 am

OK guys, the first engine start was a success!! Only a couple of problems. I had the distributor wired for counter clockwise and I was off one plug location. Not bad I think. Once fuel got to the cark it fired right up and sounded great. Oil pressure stayed between 40-60 psi and temp was 160. I still had some coolant leaks to fix. I noticed a big difference on how strong the engine sounds from before. I think the Pertronix ignition and MSD spark control helped a lot with that.

Note: if you are at the same point as me. Fill with water first. once you have leaks fixed then add coolant. lesson learned. ;)

I want to thank my mechanic Matt for the terrific work he has done and to Don, Steve J., Steve Sr. for there help when needed. Also a big thanks to Eric for coming out to my shop and making all my brake, fuel and vacuum lines. Enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/CCJL2MFR2Z4

Thanks for watching. :mrgreen:

Steve A.

Return to “Tracked”