EARLY JEEP SNOW PLOWS

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

EARLY JEEP SNOW PLOWS

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Early factory Jeep plows used a Black Hawk wobble pump to raise the plow, they were mounted between the front seats. There was no bigger deal for a little kid than to be allowed to raise and lower the plow blade while my Uncle Joe operated the Jeep.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: EARLY JEEP SNOW PLOWS

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello,

I have seen a picture at the US National Archives, at College Park, Maryland, of a factory built, as it had a model number, snowplow installed and in use
on an MB/GPW plowing an airfield in Italy during WW2.
If I can find the copy that I made of the picture and caption, I will post it, but I was wondering if you knew anything about it ?

It was like "JP1 snow plow "or something like that nomenclature.

I just did a quick search an found this link to a Japanese model company with a WW2 jeep and plow.

https://hlj.com/product/VYMPEA185

Best Regards,

Ray

Bob Bell
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Bob Bell » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:57 pm

I had probably 6 or 7 plow jeeps when I lived in Rhode Island. I'd drive around the back roads, and see an old jeep, all overgrown in the brambles out behind a house, go knock on the door and ask if it was for sale. Usually it was, and for $100-$200. This was back in the 80's and 90's. Most times the jeep was a 2A, and it being RI, and tough winters and salted roads, the rear part of the frame was usually pretty badly shot, as would be the bodies. I'd either sell them on, or part them out if they were beyond repair.

Most plows were operated by a Jeep Hi-Lo Hydraulic pump, mounted over the generator. A handle would protrude through the dash, connected to the lift / lower lever on the Hi-Lo. I had a couple of what I think were Schenker pumps. They sat between the front seats, and were hand operated. In other words, one pumped the handle up and down, just like a jack, to raise or lower the plow. I guess this is what Joel refers to as a Wobble pump. All the plows I had could only be turned manually in order to angle the plow to the left or to the right. This was done by moving pins on the plow frame until the requisite angle was achieved.

I can't remember all the plow manufacturers - that info is in the Willys dealers book of accessories (compressors, mowers, trailers etc) which I am sure is online somewhere. I have a hard copy lying around somewhere.

I used one of the hydraulic rams on a yard jeep, with an extension as a yard crane, but it really was not much use. The old Hi-Lo, being belt driven, couldn't lift much weight.

Fun though!

Bob
Bob Bell

1946 CJ2A 36116
Have owned dozens of flat fenders over the years including 1945 CJ2A 10011 which I sold in 2002.
First 4WD was an Austin Champ in 1965, and then a GPW UK license number HRO 443, sold in 1974.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Lloyd White wrote some articles in the MVPA Army Motors on G-503 mounted snow plows.

Scheniker and Koenig were two of immediate post war plows. HI-LO was made by Monarch, HiLo also has a pump between the seats with an Auto Lite 6V motor. We used new CJ-2A's back then, and rarely used chains on the 6.00 X 16 Good Year All Service NDT's, Uncle Joe was a good driver on snow and ice.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”