removing a stuck Dist.

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Johnny smith
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

removing a stuck Dist.

Post by Johnny smith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Any helpful hints on removing the dist. the jeep hasnt ran in 15 years I have it running but needs a dist. if I can get this one out
Thanks
Johnny smith In ARK

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: removing a stuck Dist.

Post by Wolfman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 am

A large pair of channel locks or a strap wrench.
Plenty of penetrating oil.
Do not twist in one direction. Work the distributor body back and forth. If you get it to move a little, you have it. Patients and keep working.
As a next resort, heat the engine block around the area where the distributor fits into the block. Heat the area and immediately go to work. If it does not come loose right away. Let the block cool and try again.
When all else fails. Remove the oil pump. insert a steel, thin walled tube and drive up from the bottom. Use a long tube that will slip over the distributor shaft and come up against the retaining ring that holds the shaft in the distributor body. If you drive on the shaft, you may shear the pin that goes through the retaining ring and shaft, driving the shaft up through the distributor, doing damage top side.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: removing a stuck Dist.

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:09 am

Strap Wrench is safer, and best to grip the housing at the bottom or you will break chunks out of the side.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”